ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger Woods

Has there been any speculation that TW used PEDs? Did that cause all the need for all these surgeries? Or was it his ex-wife?
I think the issue with Tiger and other young golfers is they fell in love with the weight room. He bulked up and got strong, but then tried to use that strength with massive body rotation, putting enormous torque on his lumbar region. He got too strong for his back to handle.

Has there been any speculation that TW used PEDs? Did that cause all the need for all these surgeries? Or was it his ex-wife?
Dude, PEDs don't cause back injuries. He herniated a disk, probably playing golf because golf is hard on the lower back. Tiger got pretty beefy for a while but I don't think he was getting juiced in the weight room. His dad was a big guy too.

OK, maybe I was wrong
weights2_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Reactions: NUCat320
Dude, PEDs don't cause back injuries. He herniated a disk, probably playing golf because golf is hard on the lower back. Tiger got pretty beefy for a while but I don't think he was getting juiced in the weight room. His dad was a big guy too.

OK, maybe I was wrong
weights2_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Physical strength/impact/force beyond what the ligaments were intended to handle is why we see numerous non contact injuries in sports today. My experts tell me Tiger did juice and paid the price.

Physical strength/impact/force beyond what the ligaments were intended to handle is why we see numerous non contact injuries in sports today. My experts tell me Tiger did juice and paid the price.
Right. The proximal cause was a herniated dick brought on by physical activity. It could have been due to golf, or too many 300 lb deadlifts. But the mere act of juicing does not lead to these type of injuries, though it may increase the risk of it.

Right. The proximal cause was a herniated dick brought on by physical activity. It could have been due to golf, or too many 300 lb deadlifts. But the mere act of juicing does not lead to these type of injuries, though it may increase the risk of it.
Ouch - herniating that does not sound pleasant

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Didn't he have a bunch of knee injuries as well? Isn't that how things started?

He's done, put a fork in him. Once he has a back fusion, designed to stabilize the areas where the discs are no longer doing their job, and rehab can't get him better, he will lose the rotation that allowed his enormous power. He will lose length but accuracy should not be affected as much. However, breaking Jack's records for majors...a pipe dream, in my opinion. But first he has to recover from this surgery (my wife had it and it's a long rehab) and then determine his next step. Unlike Arnie who nourished friendships on the way up, and support of the crowd, Tiger remained alone and aloof. Karma's tough.

I just had my sixth disk in my neck fused. I have never done a steroid in my life, or drank , or taken drugs( prescription or non prescription.) I was benching 405 lbs for reps up until my 50th birthday. Mine were caused by trauma from while serving . Once one disc goes often times they all start failing. People love to talk bad about others, don't they ?

Reactions: chariots
Many golfers develop hip and low back problems. My guess would be all the years of golfing wore out one of Tigers discs. It was to the point that the nerves to his legs were being affected . He got his disc fused which causes more strain on other levels and causes them to fail. As you begin fusing other levels it causes more strain on the other levels not fused and they fail. You keep hoping after each failure that this will be the last time you need to have surgery. You work your butt off to get back in shape and to do everything you used to be able to do , only to have to do it over and over again.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Many golfers develop hip and low back problems. My guess would be all the years of golfing wore out one of Tigers discs. It was to the point that the nerves to his legs were being affected . He got his disc fused which causes more strain on other levels and causes them to fail. As you begin fusing other levels it causes more strain on the other levels not fused and they fail. You keep hoping after each failure that this will be the last time you need to have surgery. You work your butt off to get back in shape and to do everything you used to be able to do , only to have to do it over and over again.
Ah, Catsdad, you hit it right on the head. The body's like a well oiled machine until a part is changed, or replaced or injured and fixed. No matter the cause, the ":well" areas have to adapt to their new situation and really can't function the same way. The fusion, then, across the disc space and between two sequential (or more) vertebrae is the ":fix". Pain is nature's way of saying, "Hold on, there. Stop doing that and ease up". Well, Tiger should wait for the senior tour and start all over. His rehab will be long, again, and we'll hear encouraging results along the way, but I suspect his dominating days ( let alone his competitive days, are in the past.

Reactions: CatsDad
I just had my sixth disk in my neck fused. I have never done a steroid in my life, or drank , or taken drugs( prescription or non prescription.) I was benching 405 lbs for reps up until my 50th birthday. Mine were caused by trauma from while serving . Once one disc goes often times they all start failing. People love to talk bad about others, don't they ?
It's easy to pile on Tiger for all the mistakes he made. I am more forgiving. I hope he and his ex find peace and can raise their children, and that Tiger can find health and happiness for him--with or without golf. He was made into the Promised One at such a young age--am African American Golfer who will rewrite the record books!--that I wonder if he was ever able to be himself, and if his "creation" had something to do with his going astray. Not an excuse, just cause for compassion in my book.

Steroids are bad and dumb when applied for competitive purposes, but they, by themselves, generally do not cause the body to fail (long-term exposure appears to impact some internal organs). They basically enable you to work yourself beyond your natural limits. So I get chapped in my pants when people say "Steroids did it!" It's more complicated than that.

Ah, Catsdad, you hit it right on the head. The body's like a well oiled machine until a part is changed, or replaced or injured and fixed. No matter the cause, the ":well" areas have to adapt to their new situation and really can't function the same way. The fusion, then, across the disc space and between two sequential (or more) vertebrae is the ":fix". Pain is nature's way of saying, "Hold on, there. Stop doing that and ease up". Well, Tiger should wait for the senior tour and start all over. His rehab will be long, again, and we'll hear encouraging results along the way, but I suspect his dominating days ( let alone his competitive days, are in the past.

Tiger also didn't do himself any favors by bulking up pretty noticeably for what seems like no particular reason. He was at the top of his sport and completely dominating the game... not sure why "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" wouldn't have been the best approach.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1...eacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-Chamblee

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...rmer-caddie-steve-williams-golf?CMP=edit_2221

Tiger also didn't do himself any favors by bulking up pretty noticeably for what seems like no particular reason. He was at the top of his sport and completely dominating the game... not sure why "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" wouldn't have been the best approach.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1...eacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-Chamblee

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...rmer-caddie-steve-williams-golf?CMP=edit_2221
Maybe he lifted and was in the gym because he loved working out. It may have had nothing to do with his profession

Tiger is definitely complicated. And he was a golf genius. He changed the game, then the game changed him. I believe he couldn't rest on his laurels after he took the game by storm, and felt he had to change his swing and get stronger to stay ahead, especially as the golf courses were busy trying to "Tiger-proof" themselves. He also was a victim of his own ego and obstinance.

One story that sticks with me is about his obsession with being a Navy SEAL, as written in a long ESPN story. He did some training and shooting for a while with some SEALs. Since it was unofficial, the SEALs provided the equipment and the ammo, paid out of their own pockets on their own free time. Once after training, they had lunch at a restaurant, and he wouldn't even pick up the bill, sitting silently as they all looked at each other. Finally they split the bill. Strike him off FloridAlum's list. But definitely a complicated dude.

Man, I wish you could meet footballphil.

There are a lot of ways to hit a golf ball.....Tiger changed his swing several times......except for the last one. always designed to hit it longer.....which was all pride....He it long enough and is short game was THEEE BEST....but he wanted to be the longest.......and that meant the injuries..That being said.golf is eye hand coordination and he can get sufficient power with his legs......but the amount of time he has been away from the game......but I am still saying within 3 years he wins again.....I have learned how to make these kind of predictions by being an NU fan

It's easy to pile on Tiger for all the mistakes he made. I am more forgiving. I hope he and his ex find peace and can raise their children, and that Tiger can find health and happiness for him--with or without golf. He was made into the Promised One at such a young age--am African American Golfer who will rewrite the record books!--that I wonder if he was ever able to be himself, and if his "creation" had something to do with his going astray. Not an excuse, just cause for compassion in my book.

Steroids are bad and dumb when applied for competitive purposes, but they, by themselves, generally do not cause the body to fail (long-term exposure appears to impact some internal organs). They basically enable you to work yourself beyond your natural limits. So I get chapped in my pants when people say "Steroids did it!" It's more complicated than that.

You appear to have a very narrow view of cause and effect H-Jack. Naturally occurring side effects of steroid usage is not the only cause and effect scenario.

First, let me emphasize that there could be multiple causes of Tiger's back problems. All combining to produce more stress on the spine than it could take. Heredity is a common contributing cause of herniated discs. When combined with something as simple as a sneeze, or getting out of a car as in my case, BAM, the disc blows through the ligaments and impinges the associated nerve roots. My point for you and CatsDad is precisely what you stated above. Juice and other body building techniques enable athletes to stress their bodies beyond their natural limits. But no body building technique also strengthens ligaments. So as athletes maximize their strength and flexibility, and thus the force their joints/ligaments must absorb, the rubber bands (ligaments) holding the joints together get stressed beyond their limits and in many cases fail. When ligaments fail in the low back or neck, discs herniate. Fuse one disc space in the spine, and as CatsDad stated, you have added yet another stress factor to the associated joints ( disc spaces ) immediately adjacent to the fused joint.

I make my living in the area of professional sports related injuries. Thus my reference to "my experts" in relation to Tiger juicing. They see the before and after pictures of Tiger and say its a classic juice progression. Could be wrong. Tiger may have stayed clean. But the more likely explanation for his significant physical transformation is that juice was a contributing factor. I don't view that as disparaging Tiger. It's an educated observation of a highly public figure on a message board, without editorial comment, and thus fair game.

GOUNUII

This is one of my points, with an edit for emphasis.

I will accept the notion that Tiger likely juiced, and then went too hard in the weight room. That's a bad choice.
As well as focused on a swing that required and used max torque........maybe the perfect storm.

Unlike Arnie who nourished friendships on the way up, and support of the crowd, Tiger remained alone and aloof. Karma's tough.
Tiger might be aloof, but he always seemed to have the support of the crowd. The crowds were there for him, it seemed. And there's always some jayhole screaming, "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" when Tiger's teeing off on a par five.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT