ADVERTISEMENT

OT: unlikely couple- Chargers&Raiders plan $1.7B stadium in LA

Don't see it happening. The Rams returning.....most likely yes, but 3 NFL teams in Los Angeles, no way.
The proposed stadium in Carson would require the state to build several more freeway on ramps on the 405 or 110. There are currently an insufficient number of ramps to allow the LA fans who are notorious for arriving late and bailing mid-way through a sporting event to go be seen elsewhere the same day.

The Raiders already have a history of being a flaky, petulant flight risk. And L.A. has been burned by their on-again/off-again nonsense before. Not to mention they're an absolutely crap franchise. Rams? Sure. Chargers, okay. Raiders, ugh.

OT: more info plus video flyover of proposed LA Stadium in Carson

CBS Sports has an article that includes some graphics of what the new LA Stadium might look like in Carson, CA. The proposed stadium looks pretty cool. The Raiders have said they are willing to move to the NFC West if this moves forward. Sounds like the proposal has already gone pretty far, the Chargers and Raiders already own the property in Carson where the stadium would be built. Sounds like an interesting proposal. I would hope the Chargers could still build a new stadium but it sounds to me they have a foot, if not a leg, out the door.

CBS Sports link

Its interesting, but I doubt LA will ever get a team again, as I wonder if the owners will allow it.

With no team in LA, every owner has the leverage of threatening a move to the #2 media market if they don't get a new stadium deal (something you hear every year as leases come up). Once LA actually gets a team, the leverage decreases significantly, as next largest media market is down in the 20s - Orlando or Sacramento or something like that.

This is why you see SD and Oakland threatening to move.

The owners have no say -- per a 1980 ruling, it's considered a violation of federal antitrust laws for the other teams to restrict a fellow member's movement to a new city.

Allow it is a bad term I used - more of if one moves, it gets rid of the leverage for everyone else. That said, LEGALLY they have no recourse, but that doesnt mean there are other ways of influence.

So, based on the Chargers being willing to move to LA if the Raiders pay half the costs then I assume they would be willing to stay in San Diego if the local taxpayers pay half the cost. If I was a taxpayer in San Diego I would say don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT