ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Use of the term Boatrace for blowout

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
In the ever-escalating exchange between Mikewebb68 and IGNORE on the basketball board, the term Boatrace was used a few times, I think by Mike, to describe blowout games he had seen recently.

I have heard the term a few times, though not often, and was wondering what the origin is. Years ago, I had heard it in England, and it had a decidedly obscene meaning. That usage aside, I was wondering how boatrace came to be used to describe one team pretty much dominating another. I assume it is derived from competitive rowing, but that is a guess on my part.

I grew up in a pretty landlocked part of the Midwest, certainly one that had very little boat culture (except for fishing boats, and the idea of racing them would seem pretty weird.

When I moved to California, I definitely had more proximity to boats of all varieties, and some friends of my kids participated in competitive rowing, as crew is a pretty popular extracurricular, particularly for those who were not suited to the sports I was more accustomed to. About 5 years ago a friend suggested I read "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. I did not intend to read it, but one night when I was fighting insomnia I did, and found it to be an excellent book that combines sports, history (particularly the 1936 Olympics) and social commentary. I highly recommend it.
The book details the rise of the University Washington 8-oar crew, their rise to prominence in intercollegiate and then Olympic rowing, and what the participation meant to the guys who experienced it. One thing I learned from the book was that the Cal boathouse and home course is a short walk from my house, and has been since the 1930's. I wandered up the street a few times to watch races, and learned a little as the skulls glided by.
All of that is to say that the last thing a race between 2 skulls would describe to me based on my limited observations is a blowout basketball game. I could see where when a wide receiver beats a cornerback by two steps and catches a long pass for a touchdown with the defensive back 2 strides behind all the way down the field, it would resemble a boatrace. But I just don't get it relative to something like basketball.

If someone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it!

A team getting an early lead and coasting to a win.

But speaking of crew, I think a competitive heavy weight 8 race is one of the most exciting of all sports.

Reactions: Frabjous
In the ever-escalating exchange between Mikewebb68 and IGNORE on the basketball board, the term Boatrace was used a few times, I think by Mike, to describe blowout games he had seen recently.

I have heard the term a few times, though not often, and was wondering what the origin is. Years ago, I had heard it in England, and it had a decidedly obscene meaning. That usage aside, I was wondering how boatrace came to be used to describe one team pretty much dominating another. I assume it is derived from competitive rowing, but that is a guess on my part.

I grew up in a pretty landlocked part of the Midwest, certainly one that had very little boat culture (except for fishing boats, and the idea of racing them would seem pretty weird.

When I moved to California, I definitely had more proximity to boats of all varieties, and some friends of my kids participated in competitive rowing, as crew is a pretty popular extracurricular, particularly for those who were not suited to the sports I was more accustomed to. About 5 years ago a friend suggested I read "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. I did not intend to read it, but one night when I was fighting insomnia I did, and found it to be an excellent book that combines sports, history (particularly the 1936 Olympics) and social commentary. I highly recommend it.
The book details the rise of the University Washington 8-oar crew, their rise to prominence in intercollegiate and then Olympic rowing, and what the participation meant to the guys who experienced it. One thing I learned from the book was that the Cal boathouse and home course is a short walk from my house, and has been since the 1930's. I wandered up the street a few times to watch races, and learned a little as the skulls glided by.
All of that is to say that the last thing a race between 2 skulls would describe to me based on my limited observations is a blowout basketball game. I could see where when a wide receiver beats a cornerback by two steps and catches a long pass for a touchdown with the defensive back 2 strides behind all the way down the field, it would resemble a boatrace. But I just don't get it relative to something like basketball.

If someone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it!

The internet is your friend!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boat raced

Thanks, I had done a quick google and had overlooked urban dictionary since I usually don't find it useful.

I will say that it is an odd metaphor for basketball: actual rowing races, from which it derives, are continuous and smooth flowing, while basketball is up and down and moves in spurts. I will work to wrap my head around it.

Those letters form more than one compound word: to "boa-trace" your opponent means to strangle them from any and all means of inhaling.
What you’re saying is that, metaphorically speaking, boatrace and boatrace are synonyms.

Fascinating!

(Mike Webb is still the only person I’ve seen use ‘boatrace’, though I acknowledge that it is a real term. )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT