ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who has been posting on here the longest?

I'm a relative newbie compared to the old guard around here. I found Coach Roy's old predecessor board to Wildcat Report and started posting during the 2000 season (although it might have been late '99). The "Joined date" of May 29, 2001, that many of us seem to share, is a total misnomer, and is probably related to some sort of Rivals database reconciliation.

Some other long timers are Hoosboot and IdahoCat, although I haven't seen the latter in awhile.

You might remember that the old Rivals was going broke and out of business in 2001. Then some new financial backers appeared and saved it. So anyone who was a registered member at the time, like you, me and ECat, shows a joined date of 5/29/2001. If you notice, there are a whole bunch of people with that same start date.

Like a few others, I go back to the NU list serve days and Brad Kaiser's recruiting site. I have never been a prolific poster but have been a prolific reader. I remember Coach Roy, and for a few seasons was active in the Chatroom, where Euro, a few others and I did a lot of HOK for good luck. I recall everyone Glades mentioned, and he is correct about Bobby D. Certainly remember Ishmael, and he was as PASSIONATE as fan as anyone and loved using upper case letters. I recall his family posting about his passing, and it was very touching. I have always enjoyed this board and (most) all posters. I give a special shout out to FloridAlum, who with his parties and the like, has made this more than simply an anonymous and faceless internet community. Go Cats!
You are most welcome . I have truly enjoyed enabling folks from the board to meet each other and, in some cases, make some very good friends. I think it makes a tremendous difference to read a post on the board from someone I have actually met.

Wow, these are some wonderful memories; thanks guys! Amazing that many of you have been around for 20 years or more...

Again, your memory fails you, unless by "recent arrival", you mean 1996. You were on the boards when I first started reading them, though.

I posted occasionally on the Big Ten boards starting around late 1995. ..... After a glitch at Rivals whereby I couldn't log in as Gladescat anymore, I became Gladeskat.

Like Gladeskat I had problems logging in as Alaskawildcat so also changed the c in cat to a k which left in limbo my initial join date (from the inception) and message numbers to that date.

As noted in my prior post, the Northwestern online community really came of age following our Rose Bowl year. As indicated in the posts above there are still quite a few of us still posting who were participants on the Chicago Tribune board back in 1996 before there was a Rivals WildcatReport.

The 1995 team certainly drew a lot of people to the boards, and that was about the time when the internet started to explode in popularity. I'm curious what was available before the 1995 season. I had heard of the AOL NU board but never saw it because I wasn't an AOL member.

You might remember that the old Rivals was going broke and out of business in 2001. Then some new financial backers appeared and saved it. So anyone who was a registered member at the time, like you, me and ECat, shows a joined date of 5/29/2001. If you notice, there are a whole bunch of people with that same start date.
That's the start date I have. I have no idea how long I've been here.

OMG, El Gato Montes. True definition of a maniacal tool. Like wildelk2, I also started with Mile Nolans list serve in 1996 and have been an off-again/on-again poster ever since.

And, as Euro said, RIP Flag.

And obviously RIP Ish

This board is a great resource. Several years ago a friend had a legla problem in Texas and I wrote AmCat about it. He frankly admitted this wasn't his or his frims area of expertise but he gave me someone to talk to and this person was able to resolve this issue to my friends satisfaction.

Oh and by the way idf anyone here thinks Euro or his lawyers got some criminal "off" here is what happened. My pal had been ALONE drinking in his hotel room. Cops knock on his door and casually say why don't you step outside, you know, fresh air and all that. The moment he does he is arrested for public drunkedness. Had he remained in his room, he would have been okay. The police officers screwed him over to make a bust.

When I was at Northwestern 30 years ago I thought about going to law school to put bad guys away. I never went to law school and now I am happy, I am not sure who the bad guys are anymore!

Oh and by the way idf anyone here thinks Euro or his lawyers got some criminal "off" here is what happened. My pal had been ALONE drinking in his hotel room. Cops knock on his door and casually say why don't you step outside, you know, fresh air and all that. The moment he does he is arrested for public drunkedness. Had he remained in his room, he would have been okay. The police officers screwed him over to make a bust.

When I was at Northwestern 30 years ago I thought about going to law school to put bad guys away. I never went to law school and now I am happy, I am not sure who the bad guys are anymore!

That sucks. Out of curiosity, why did the cops go to his room? If he was drinking ALONE, why would they have ad reason to bust him? Bizarre.

Out of control party next door. Mixed up the rooms, loud noises etc.

I started as PeoriaCat (I'm guessing) in 1995 on the old Chicago Trib Big 10 Forum and was a member of the list serve. Then eventually migrated here when Roy (I refuse to call a pee wee coach, "coach Roy") started a board after the Trib board went down. At some point, I was unable to sign-in, so I had to re-register and chose the handle of WaveJumper since it's an indication of what I do now in retirement. I am an IKO certified, level2 senior kiteboarding instructor. If you want to learn the sport, contact me wmjg8 at comcast.net.

Some of the older posters that post infrequently are MizzouCat (a good friend), Heet75 (played for NU and a friend), minncat, CatBird (my wife) and CatJaws (a great friend who I had the pleasure of playing ball with). Over the years, I've met many of you.

The old Trib board was a riot with ECat, Dr Doom, HamBadger, Snoopdog, BoyBlue, etc. This thread brings back some fun memories, and Brad Kaiser was ahead of the curve on recruiting info.

The best bowl game experience for me, was San Antonio, where I met many of the board members at that time. Unfortunately, we played a pissed off Nebraska team, but the venue was outstanding. We, and some of the parents (the Clark's) organized a party. I provided the music CD for that gathering. I remember Gary Danielson tried to crash that party - no pay, no go!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The 1995 team certainly drew a lot of people to the boards, and that was about the time when the internet started to explode in popularity. I'm curious what was available before the 1995 season. I had heard of the AOL NU board but never saw it because I wasn't an AOL member.

Glades, before the '95 season, there wasn't much. The AOL board was around, and Nolan's list was about a year old.

The original board predates the web itself. The old alt.collegefootball newsgroup had NU discussions dating back to the late '80s-- before www. Believe it or not, some of the current posters were part of that group.

Ha!, I remember thant Danielson incident! What an Asshole!

That said what ever happened to Jaws. Really great fan and guy, Say hi to him. He was such a strereotypical cop like out of the movies.

Say hi though, good man.

Last edited:
I'm a relative newbie compared to the old guard around here. I found Coach Roy's old predecessor board to Wildcat Report and started posting during the 2000 season (although it might have been late '99). The "Joined date" of May 29, 2001, that many of us seem to share, is a total misnomer, and is probably related to some sort of Rivals database reconciliation.

Some other long timers are Hoosboot and IdahoCat, although I haven't seen the latter in awhile.
Was wondering what happened to Coach Roy- is he still with us? Did he give up participating/posting on NU sports?

Ha! Talk about a memory brain fart, I remember thant danielson incidenr! What an assjhole!

Matt Danielson was still on the team in 2000, and as I recall, got some reps in the Alamo Bowl. So if other player parents attended the party, why was it an "incident" that Gary showed up? Because he didn't pay?

Matt Danielson was still on the team in 2000, and as I recall, got some reps in the Alamo Bowl. So if other player parents attended the party, why was it an "incident" that Gary showed up? Because he didn't pay?
Yup. Parents had to pay, otherwise there would have been a NCAA compliance violation. Unfortunately, that applied even unto celebrities and their retinues. All of the other parents were great and understood clearly; none of them wanted to get into hot water with the booster rules.

He was a total ass (arrogant) about his tv star status. Harumph. Dont you know who I am?

Last edited:
I go back to the days of the Chicago Tribume board and the Big Ten Boards.

Hey Evanstoncat - Remember Dr. Doom? He was funny. (an asshole, but funny).

The whole thing about Coach Roy and Scout was funny.

As I remember it, a group (which fomer Publisher of this site "Coach Roy" who labeled himself "coach" because he coaches pee-wee football and ask anyone who is a long timer here I am NOT mkaing this up!) anyway a group got ticked off at Roy for goodness knows what reason and former fan page creator Far East Wildcat created a board of his own. Roy went ballistiic on them, belittled them and called them "The FEW group". FEW = Far East Wildcat. Then just days later "Coach Roy" decides to say screw Rivals and goes to Scout.

It was an odd period where "FEW" loyalists were touting their new board (not affiiliated with Scout or Rivals) and Coach Roy saying "hey fellahs, join me on scout".

The point being that if you went to one or the other you were taking sides in this pissy war so 99% of us just stayed here because it was most simple to do so and you weren't taking sides.

What a weird history.

I will conclude by saying I know Far East Wildcat and I couldn't imagine a bigger fan and a greater guy. We quaffed quite a few in San Antonio. Great Guy, At the same time I have never personally met "coach" Roy but he is (like me) a radio industry guy and we have corresponded offline about some radio industry stuff and his advice has been really helpful.

I take no sides! Every Wildcat fan is my pal! I don't take sides! Leave me out of this!

RIP Ishmael and I think there have been two other deaths but for the life of me I cannot recall who they were, I just recall ex post facto posts from family. I am not talking about Flag on the Field but earlier. (RIP Flag).

Holy crap. Forgot about Dr doom (UM FAN??) and scriptohio as well. The old tribune and big ten boards were tight.

Doom and I went at it quite a bit. Then we discovered we shared a favorite beer. McEwans's. Glades I shocked to hear he's at wvu. Not exactly a beer hot spot.

I've been on since 95 as a young alum and the Nolan listservs before that. Another NU degree since then.

Euro, CatJaws is doing just fine. He was an all Big 10 shortstop and played 7 years at the triple A level before becoming an FBI agent. Both of us are still season ticket holders and still lie about our athletic endeavors. And he constantly reminds me that he was the professional, and I was the amateur.

We and our wives enjoy going out to the range and putting holes in paper.

Haven't seen or heard from MizzouCat for a couple of years.

Euro, CatJaws is doing just fine. He was an all Big 10 shortstop and played 7 years at the triple A level before becoming an FBI agent. Both of us are still season ticket holders and still lie about our athletic endeavors. And he constantly reminds me that he was the professional, and I was the amateur.

We and our wives enjoy going out to the range and putting holes in paper.

Haven't seen or heard from MizzouCat for a couple of years.
Haven't heard from Mizzou in quite a while, but he posts once in a while on Facebook.

He was a total ass (arrogant) about his tv star status. Harumph. Dont you know who I am?

Some people! I had a similar experience at the Purple Party before the NU vs. ASU game in Tempe, back in '05. FloridAlum was holding court like a Kardashian at a TMZ scrum, but when I approached to exchange, you know, pleasantries, his body men, Gladeskat and Waterboy, ran a top-10, shutdown defensive scheme. Without a free drink clutched in my hand to offer, I was persona non grata.

I started posting on a basketball board called Purple Haze around 1996 or so.

a) GREAT thread!!!! I bow to most of your memories. I never could have remembered so many freaks.

b) Thanks for the shout out, VCat!! Purple Haze was my beast.

c) Wasn't there an annoying-someone who was obviously a buddy of Hachad? Was that Puffcat also?

d) I love hearing about the B10 original boards. That place was the friggin' wild west. I don't know if it needed to be shut down, but those daily postings made the worst people out here look tame.

Holy crap. Forgot about Dr doom (UM FAN??) and scriptohio as well. The old tribune and big ten boards were tight.

Doom and I went at it quite a bit. Then we discovered we shared a favorite beer. McEwans's. Glades I shocked to hear he's at wvu. Not exactly a beer hot spot.

I've been on since 95 as a young alum and the Nolan listservs before that. Another NU degree since then.
The Tribune Board was a strange happening, in retrospect. They gave us the space and did little to nothing to moderate it, occasionally running it into the ground with a revamp but we would then recover our handles and resume.

Most of the discussions were with NU folks and quite distinct from what one experiences on this forum. Rather than trolls we had some of the highly entertaining characters others have named that came from other schools. The core group of posters was smaller, the posts tended to be longer than the norm here, were generally more thoroughly thought out and very frequently quite heartfelt. I think even some of the characters from other schools picked up their game on that board, and above all, it had a "Northwestern" feel to it.

We had a lot of fun. I recall when Barnett was going into one of his flirtations, we likened him to Hamlet. Over on the Illinois board they freaked out, thinking that we were going to steal a recruit named Hamlett. AlAudo (?) and some other Illini fans would spill over and join in the fun when we did well and they did not.

A lot of fun during the 1996 and 2000 seasons, less so during the 1997, 98 and 99 years of disappointment. People's behavior certainly tracked the fortunes of the team. And then, thanks to the management of the Tribune, it was gone. In retrospect it was amazing that it was as good as it was in essentially unmoderated space.

a) GREAT thread!!!! I bow to most of your memories. I never could have remembered so many freaks.

b) Thanks for the shout out, VCat!! Purple Haze was my beast.

c) Wasn't there an annoying-someone who was obviously a buddy of Hachad? Was that Puffcat also?

d) I love hearing about the B10 original boards. That place was the friggin' wild west. I don't know if it needed to be shut down, but those daily postings made the worst people out here look tame.

Purple Haze was you!!?? Dang...how did I not know that? I remember that site vividly. I really enjoyed it for the short time you had it going. Remember Sean Wink's dad posted on there?

The Hachad lover was cwebb. Another similar poster in those early days that you might remember was Jitimfan.

The poster I miss the most is probably Midvale Dave. I know he is still lurking out there from time to time, but I miss his presence.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Hawkcat. Yes, I do lurk occasionally. My mother's passing away a couple years ago changed me in some ways. I come back here to read and it's the same stuff, just with different words. It got old for me. And I spend way, way too much time on Facebook as myself having a grand time.

I don't know who it was or how he did it but I recall someone found out Dr. Dooms real identity. Remember we are talking mid 90s or so, people weren't so careful about protecting themselves online back then. Anyway the guy really was/is a doctor (not a medical one but a PhD) and the "Doom" comes from his work - he makes nuclear weapons. I am not joking about this, that is why he called himself Doctor Doom. I never saw him on any Michigan board since then, hope he didn't blow himself up or something. What a character.

Again, your memory fails you, unless by "recent arrival", you mean 1996. You were on the boards when I first started reading them, though.

I posted occasionally on the Big Ten boards starting around late 1995. How would I know these names otherwise: Hambadger, Boy Blue, Script Ohio, Dr. Doom, GBMS? Dr, Doom was great, particularly his defending Boy Blue from the UM haters. You initially thought I was Dr. Doom when I started posting on Rivals after not posting for a few years (computer died). Dr. Doom was a chemist at WVU. Prior to Rivals, Fans Only, Sports Only, and FEW, I didn't post often and I used a variety of handles back then (e.g., MarylandCat and GarrettCat) rather than Gladeskat (I lived in Maryland then). When I moved to south Florida and purchased a laptop, I started posting on Rivals as Gladescat. Post #1 was a nasty rip on Puffy for criticizing our academic all-B1G players and team GPA. My goal then was to have him tossed off the board for his attacks on the program. After a glitch at Rivals whereby I couldn't log in as Gladescat anymore, I became Gladeskat.

I know you were from the old days. I meant the Gladeskat moniker was relatively recent. As in Rivals recent. I was wondering who the hell you were on the Big Ten boards.

Dr. Doom was one of the greatest posters of all time. Hambadger too. I even miss GBMS and ScriptOhio - they were Bucks, but they were worthy of the trash talk unlike the schmucks on the Buckeye boards these days.

Question for ECat: When did you start posting on NU boards and who was on the board when you first started posting? You recently mentioned that you predicted the 1995 B1G championship and told this to folks at RAGBRAI in the summer of 1995. Were you posting on NU-related message boards BEFORE the 1995 season?

Pre-1995 I was in college still, and I barely knew how to use the internet. Were there even message boards back then? Big10 Boards might have been the first forums that I got really active on. I think it was summer 1995, because I remember posting something about winning the B1G championship and there were a bunch of Iowa and Buck fans including Scripty and GBMS who simply couldn't believe what they were hearing and kind of laughing but also nervously asking each other if I knew something. (The truth was that I didn't know any more than back then I do now - I just predicted B1G titles every year back then just for the hell of it). I was on Nolan's maillist, and Brad Kaiser was the recruiting guru (beginning with the Rose Bowl class). There was some other board that BobbyD was on (the Tribune board?), that's what I remember. There was talk from a poster named Rocky who pissed him off more than anyone including you, Shivas, or Puffcat, for insisting that a recruit named Chad Schmeiser who was 255 lb and ran a 4.4 was committing to the Cats. Damn that was a long time ago

The Big Ten boards were the best ever. Miss it heaps - the trash talking was the best part because everyone was posting on everyone else's boards, nobody was sanctimonious and calling for bans (because I think it was impossible to be banned), and there were truly some genuinely witty and worthy posters to scrum with (e.g. Doom - even thinking of some of the Buckeye posters brings a tear to the eye). So very unlike this and the other Rivals and Scout boards these days, which is boring by comparison. I actually miss having a good scrum and it's really been so long. It was a real shame that those boards got shut down.

Last edited:
I go back to the days of the Chicago Tribume board and the Big Ten Boards.

Hey Evanstoncat - Remember Dr. Doom? He was funny. (an asshole, but funny).

The whole thing about Coach Roy and Scout was funny.

As I remember it, a group (which fomer Publisher of this site "Coach Roy" who labeled himself "coach" because he coaches pee-wee football and ask anyone who is a long timer here I am NOT mkaing this up!) anyway a group got ticked off at Roy for goodness knows what reason and former fan page creator Far East Wildcat created a board of his own. Roy went ballistiic on them, belittled them and called them "The FEW group". FEW = Far East Wildcat. Then just days later "Coach Roy" decides to say screw Rivals and goes to Scout.

It was an odd period where "FEW" loyalists were touting their new board (not affiiliated with Scout or Rivals) and Coach Roy saying "hey fellahs, join me on scout".

The point being that if you went to one or the other you were taking sides in this pissy war so 99% of us just stayed here because it was most simple to do so and you weren't taking sides.

What a weird history.

I will conclude by saying I know Far East Wildcat and I couldn't imagine a bigger fan and a greater guy. We quaffed quite a few in San Antonio. Great Guy, At the same time I have never personally met "coach" Roy but he is (like me) a radio industry guy and we have corresponded offline about some radio industry stuff and his advice has been really helpful.

I take no sides! Every Wildcat fan is my pal! I don't take sides! Leave me out of this!

RIP Ishmael and I think there have been two other deaths but for the life of me I cannot recall who they were, I just recall ex post facto posts from family. I am not talking about Flag on the Field but earlier. (RIP Flag).

Yes, of course I remember Doom. He was something of an inspiration for me.

Coach Roy was the moderator of the Rivals site - how that came to pass, I don't know - I recall something about Chris Pool being there - a Great Lakes recruiting site or something that I think got transformed/bought by Rivals or something. Anyways, when Rivals took over, Roy was already the moderator. People were pissed off at him, because he was kind of a cock sometimes. He banned me once from the NU board because of stuff I posted on dOSU board. But, then he decides to go over to Scout, and tried to get everyone to go over there, but no one really did (except people like me who posted on the FEW, Rivals, and Scout boards) and he was the first of a few terrible moderators on the Scout boards. He tried to charge premium for basically his own uninsightful opinions and links to all the news articles out there. There was no recruiting info, nothing. Then there was the carpetbagger. And then Emma - who Glades tried to run off like he ran off Roy and the Carpetbagger with the Gladesbomb(TM) but Emma was truly a great mod and had the best premium content on the boards ever. When he left, we were left with a kid that tried hard, but really wasn't cut out for it and then gave up. Kinda reminds me of the Inside NU guys in terms of his writing style (largely BS, cocky, pissant) - he should probably have hooked up with them. I think some of his writers did, like Kevin Trahan.

I remeber circa 98 or so that internet audio was not nearly what it is today and my good buddy were sitting in my apartment trying to listen to Rice vs Northwestern online and constantly losing the sound (he is a Rice fan and thought I was doing it on purpose for some reason).

Nowadays I have slingbox and will watch the game on my tv in almost perfect quality in the next three hours.

And I will still be a nervous wreck.

The more things change.....

What a great thread, lots of memories! Happy to hear Jaws, Mizzou, FEW, Roy and others are happily rooting for the cats. My best to all of them. Happy Thanksgiving!

I never understood why Emma didn't go for the in-game chats. I wrote to him a dozen times and he had zero interest. Oh well, now we do it here. Weird policy from Emma, though (he came around but about two years too late). I agree, he was good journalist and Cat reporter and apart from the Chat issue he came across as a good fellow.

After Chris pool left rivals there was a period when an Illinois fan was in charge here. Chief Illini or something like that. He bent over backwards to be fair, and he was. Weird though! Like having an Auburn guy running the Bama site. Then Roy took over.

Remember Sean Wink's dad posted on there?

Oh shit!! I completely blanked it out of my mind that Wink's Dad was a helpful regular. Reasonable responsibilities have replaced those synapses in my brain.

Great stuff. Thanks for remembering.

The poster I miss the most is probably Midvale Dave. I know he is still lurking out there from time to time, but I miss his presence.

Thanks, Hawkcat. Yes, I do lurk occasionally. My mother's passing away a couple years ago changed me in some ways. I come back here to read and it's the same stuff, just with different words. It got old for me. And I spend way, way too much time on Facebook as myself having a grand time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking in, You were one of the reasons I joined the board, so I miss your witty and creative posts as well. Glad you still stop by every once in awhile. Ironically, one of the other reasons I joined this board was my mom's death of lung cancer at a relatively young age. I was kind of in a funk, as I didn't have much in the way of hobbies or outside activities-- it was mostly work and family. So I joined this and some other message boards where I could find entertaining people and that certainly helped!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT