ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why did TV networks stop showing starting lineups

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Last night, I got a full rundown of the fact that the Falcons were the only NFL team to start every the same offensive line every game, but never their names. I was told that 13 guys caught touchdown passes, but never their names.

I was told that the team was very good defensively in their final six games, after the bye week, but never told who was the key to the change.

The Falcons have weird numbers everywhere - DEs with 50 and 44, another LB and I think a starting safety in the 40s, a DT in the 60s, and the only WRs are in the teens. It seems helpful to show those numbers.

I always watch games and just assume I've missed them. But broadcasts reduce lineups to 'key players' (the only guys a casual fan has ever heard of) and stats. It's annoying. (The exception is the 'player introduces himself' thing.)

It helps to see the lineups so you know who is playing.

I guess I'm an old crank.

For what it's worth, I got pictures and names of the broadcast crew, and the halftime crew, and the sideline reporters every time they spoke. So Fox shows it's own starting lineup.

Last night, I got a full rundown of the fact that the Falcons were the only NFL team to start every the same offensive line every game, but never their names. I was told that 13 guys caught touchdown passes, but never their names.

I was told that the team was very good defensively in their final six games, after the bye week, but never told who was the key to the change.

The Falcons have weird numbers everywhere - DEs with 50 and 44, another LB and I think a starting safety in the 40s, a DT in the 60s, and the only WRs are in the teens. It seems helpful to show those numbers.

I always watch games and just assume I've missed them. But broadcasts reduce lineups to 'key players' (the only guys a casual fan has ever heard of) and stats. It's annoying. (The exception is the 'player introduces himself' thing.)

It helps to see the lineups so you know who is playing.

I guess I'm an old crank.

For what it's worth, I got pictures and names of the broadcast crew, and the halftime crew, and the sideline reporters every time they spoke. So Fox shows it's own starting lineup.
I remember as a kind in the 60s the networks would show the starters being introduced one-by-one coming out of the tunnel. It was a nice touch. I know CBS still shows the starters during the first couple of series. I guess the other networks figure you can get the lineups off the internet now.

I remember as a kind in the 60s the networks would show the starters being introduced one-by-one coming out of the tunnel. It was a nice touch. I know CBS still shows the starters during the first couple of series. I guess the other networks figure you can get the lineups off the internet now.
They also always showed schools they went to. Bot only seem to do that now on like one game a week. Monday or Sunday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT