ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wow, Justin Fields worth only a 6th “that could become” a 4th

Is Poles on the Steelers payroll? He has been fleeced twice by them.

Do these favors a few too many times and you’ll be in the unemployment line quickly. Poles responsibility is to the Chicago Bears not Fields and his representatives. This is a horrendous return and I am betting he could have got a lot more if he pulled the trigger before free agency. Poles better not screw up these first two picks,

Reactions: ricko654321

Do these favors a few too many times and you’ll be in the unemployment line quickly. Poles responsibility is to the Chicago Bears not Fields and his representatives. This is a horrendous return and I am betting he could have got a lot more if he pulled the trigger before free agency. Poles better not screw up these first two picks,

Poles pretty clearly made the decision that locker room continuity/rehabilitation in “doing right by Justin” was worth a slightly lower return in trade. If Williams (or whoever he selects as his QB) is decent, then the marginal trade return foregone will be a fly on the windshield.

Well, he’s definitely not on Carolina’s payroll. That trade definitely made up for the Chase Claypool trade. Wright, DJ Moore, Williams, Stevenson, a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd round pick next year.

Reactions: mountaindrew
The Steelers basically traded 2 QBs (Mitch and Kenny) who have trouble diagnosing defenses, processing and making the proper read for 2 others QBs who have the same issue.

But Russ is an upgrade over Mitch (horrible decision to pick him up from the start) and Justin, an upgrade over Kenny on physical talent alone (Kenny was basically across the hall from them; should have done a more in depth look into his processing ability or lack thereof).

(Tomlin is too infatuated with physical traits over FB IQ, and that's not just for the QB position.)

Poles did right by Justin as he reportedly preferred the Steelers as his landing spot.

Doubt the Rams had interest as Justin won't be a good fit; same reason the 49ers and Broncos had no nterest as their O schemes require a QB with elite reading/processing abilities.

The A Smith scheme is better suited to both Fields and Wilson - heavily reliant on running the ball and play action passes.

The one negative is that Smith likes to utilize the middle of the field which is where the 2 new Steelers QBs have issues.

The Steelers need to bring in a vet to tutor Justin.

The market for Justin was as a backup and the fact that a team that traded for him would need to make a decision to pick up his (quite pricey) 5th year option by May really limited the market.

Last edited:
The market for mediocre starting QBs was set when Mac Jones got traded for an upgrade in the middle rounds of the draft. Then Lance got dealt for a 4th round pic (the Niners did relatively well in that trade).

I have nothing but sympathy for Fields. He was put in a horrible position by Nagy (that Cleveland game plan was criminally bad for a QB making his first start), and then stuck in a rebuild behind a terrible offensive line with guys like Dante Pettis, Byron Pringle, ESB and Velus Jones to help him. What a $hit show.

I wish Fields the best of luck. He is going to a great organization.
How does Trey Lance warrant 4th rounder and Fields a 6th? What douchebaggery is this?

A trade for a 6th rounder I beleive has limited value. While I don’t believe Fields is a NFL QB. I do think he would have had better value as a Z receiver in The Bears offense.

Not really, IMO. Wright is solid at RT, Davis should be better at RG (plus his contract means he’s here for at least one more year), Jenkins should be good at LG, and Jones is at least average at LT. C still an issue, but at least you’ve got both Bates and Shelton.

One guy who fits Poles’ MO to a T is SDSU iOL Mason McCormick. Highly athletic, leaner build with long arms for an iOL, and G/C versatility. I’d imagine he's a target if still there at 122, maybe even 75. Also if we trade back from 1.9 to get additional mid-round capital.
McCormick is a guy I’ve also been eyeing as a good fit for Poles. Can probably play Center or Guard. He won’t last to 122 in my opinion. Need to grab him in the 3rd if he is there.

McCormick is a guy I’ve also been eyeing as a good fit for Poles. Can probably play Center or Guard. He won’t last to 122 in my opinion. Need to grab him in the 3rd if he is there.

Hence “maybe even 75.”

He’s got an almost eerily similar profile to Ryan Bates coming out of PSU and we know Poles/Cunningham seem to have a man crush on him (tried signing him as a RFA, then traded for him).

McCormick is even bit more athletic/explosive with slightly longer arms. Archetypal Poles iOL prospect.

Ryan Bates
Height: 6044
Weight: 306
40: 5.09
20: 2.88
10: 1.69
Bench: 28x
Vertical: 27
Broad Jump: 0806
SS: 4.53
3-Cone: 7.45
Hand: 9 1/2
Arm: 32 1/2
Wingspan: 78 7/8

Mason McCormick
Height: 6042
Weight: 309
40: 5.08
20: 2.89
10: 1.71
Bench: N/A
Vertical: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 0909
SS: 4.45
3-Cone: 7.59
Hand: 10
Arm: 33 7/8
Wingspan: 81 5/8

How does Trey Lance warrant 4th rounder and Fields a 6th? What douchebaggery is this?

There is value in having a backup under control for 2 yrs at reasonable cost.

Teams paying market for a starter would only have Fields for 1 yr as there would be no way they would pick up his option for around $25 mil,

Huh?? Who better to do that than Russell Wilson?

So, Russ, who really can't diagnose a D and make the proper reads (especially in the middle of the field) is supposed to teach Justin how to do those things?

That's why I roll my eyes at all the pundits (even former players) who all say that RW will be a great tutor for Fields.

What is best for JF and the Steelers is if Justin is less worried about learning another new play book and spends more time on improving the aforementioned.

But even if Justin never really improves in those areas, his stat line wasn't far off of Lamar's aside from having more INTs (which can be cut down with a better O-line, run support and a passing scheme more suited to Justin's strengths/weaknesses).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT