ADVERTISEMENT

Other Games - Week 4

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I have decided to introduce a new element to my weekly "Other Games" thread: Fun Fact Friday.

Here is Friday's Fun Fact:

Rick Springfield rose to fame in the 80s on the strength of his GQ model looks, and hit singles "Jessie's Girl" and "I've Done Everything for You." But the latter song was actually written by the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar. Hagar often performed the song during live performances in the late 1970s.

Kind of a down week for matchups.

Week 4 opened last night with an entertaining game between Appy State and Marshall. Appy State won 31-30, preserving the win late on a heady play by the running back, who sat down on the Marshall 5 yard line en route to an easy TD. State ran out the clock, depriving Marshall of the ball and a chance at victory.

3-0 Wake Forest visits 2-1 Virginia tonight

On Saturday:

#12 Notre Dame and #18 Wisconsin duke it out at Soldier Field. Will be good to have a competitive game at Soldier Field again.

Is 3-0 Rutgers for real? They go to #19 Michigan.

Nebraska at #20 Michigan State

#7 aTm goes to #16 Arkansas. Keep an eye on those Razorbacks!

#24 UCLA goes to Stanford

#25 KSU visits The Gundy

Last edited:
Jeff Buckley’s “hallelujah” was not actually a cover of the Leonard Cohen song. Buckley was covering John Cale’s cover of “hallelujah” — except that Cale’s had added verses, with Cohen’s approval — which was recorded for a Cohen tribute album in 1991, put out by a French music magazine. Not many copies of that tribute were distributed, but one landed at a woman’s house in Manhattan, where Buckley was house-sitting when he heard the song. He recorded it for 1994’s Grace, which nobody really heard until he died in 1997, drowning in the Mississippi River.

Go Cats.

Last edited:
Jeff Buckley’s “hallelujah” was not actually a cover of the Leonard Cohen song. Buckley was covering John Cage’s cover of “hallelujah” — except that Cage had added verses, with Cohen’s approval — which was recorded for a Cohen tribute album in 1991, put out by a French music magazine. Not many copies of that tribute were distributed, but one landed at a woman’s house in Manhattan, where Buckley was house-sitting when he heard the song. He recorded it for 1994’s Grace, which nobody heard until he died in 1997, drowning in the Mississippi River.

Go Cats.
This post is yet another reason I love this board.

I watched some of Chase Brice playing for Appy State last night. He transferred from Clemson to Duke and then to Appy State. I don't think he was rated as highly as Johnson out of high school, but still, goes to show how hard it can be to evaluate QB recruits.

He threw an interception while I was watching, but apparently had a decent game overall.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
This post is yet another reason I love this board.
brain fart! Updated to reflect John Cale, of Velvet Underground, and not John Cage, avant- composer.

Also, I think ND-Wisconsin will be a battle of pretty unimpressive top 20 teams. My dad’s in South Bend for a 50-year reunion. I wonder if he realizes the game is in Chicago.

I think ND wins.

After seeing Notre Dame just hang on for the win last week, I think Wisconsin has a good chance in their game.
Other storyline, to be beaten to death, but also very interesting:
It’s the Jack Coan Bowl.

I doubt a transfer QB gets to play his former school the very next year with much frequency.

Media is more interested in Jack Coan’s dad, who never got his son to a game at Notre Dame Stadium, even though that’s all he wanted for Christmas when he was ten.

Reactions: rmndcat
Other storyline, to be beaten to death, but also very interesting:
It’s the Jack Coan Bowl.

I doubt a transfer QB gets to play his former school the very next year with much frequency.

Media is more interested in Jack Coan’s dad, who never got his son to a game at Notre Dame Stadium, even though that’s all he wanted for Christmas when he was ten.

I predict Coan will make Wisconsin regret their decision. He is better than Mertz right now.

Reactions: NUCat320
My favorite picks of the week:

MSU -4 over Nebraska
Notre Dame +6.5 over Wisconsin
Auburn -27 over Georgia State
UCLA -4 over Stanford
Maryland -13.5 over Kent State

Vanderbilt loses to Georgia, 62-0. Ouch.

Minnesota loses to Bowling Green. Hah.

Wisconsin will still bludgeon us if we don’t improve drastically, but Mertz is too mistake-prone to overcome a Wisconsin OL that isn’t as good as usual.

Reactions: rmndcat
Mertz looks terrible.

He'll never look so terrible as when he fumbled away UW's final possession while driving for a W. In his defense, I think UW got a penalty just before that play, so the whole stadium knew the next play was going t be a medium deep pass, but, GZ... that's an NU level heartbreak. Mertz may have HJ syndrome - plays well in practice but can't find the same level in a game. If I were UW, I would be considering my options at QB.

Hahahaha BG beats Minn

Minny looked like they were ready to win out after that tough loss to duh-OSU. And they killed Colorado. Congrats to BG for the huge upset W. Practice at Minny this week will be intense.

Rutgers is going to crush us. They have athletic guys all over and a creative offense.

creative offense? Are we watching the same game? Their offense looks awfully similar to NU’s, they just execute it a whole lot better right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT