ADVERTISEMENT

Otto Graham

When will they put up the Otto Graham statue at Ryan Field?
In all seriousness, I think that the stadium renovation will layout plans for these types of things for Graham and Fitz as well as denoting other historical figures in the program.

I'd also be surprised if there isn't also some kind of visitor center/museum of NUFB as part of the stadium plans.

Basically you just have to wait and see. I expect a lot of these types of questions to be answered over next 5-7 years.

Reactions: Alvious
Where is Otto Graham?
Statue of limitations
Need Willy's wallet

In all seriousness, I think that the stadium renovation will layout plans for these types of things for Graham and Fitz as well as denoting other historical figures in the program.

I'd also be surprised if there isn't also some kind of visitor center/museum of NUFB as part of the stadium plans.

Basically you just have to wait and see. I expect a lot of these types of questions to be answered over next 5-7 years.

I understand the museum will have one section without lights or heat

Otto Graham. Played in a championship game every year of his career. He was also the best NU IM participant ever.

Reactions: DaCat
Also with today's emphasis on specialization it's hard to imagine anyone being an All-American in both football and basketball again. For one thing, the lengthened seasons overlap too much.

Reactions: No Chores
Also with today's emphasis on specialization it's hard to imagine anyone being an All-American in both football and basketball again. For one thing, the lengthened seasons overlap too much.
When I was at NU, Marty Riessen was a 3 time All American in tennis and also a starter on the basketball team. Not Otto, but quite a career nonetheless. He and Clark Graebner, also an NU guy, were the number 1 U.S. Davis Cup doubles team. Otto was also an excellent BB player

Dude, Otto was at NU to play basketball. The football coaches found him playing IM football and suggested he give B1G ball a shot and the rest is history.
Maybe we need 2 statues - one each in football and uniforms. How did Otto's basketball career play out?

Reactions: DaCat
When I was at NU, Marty Riessen was a 3 time All American in tennis and also a starter on the basketball team. Not Otto, but quite a career nonetheless. He and Clark Graebner, also an NU guy, were the number 1 U.S. Davis Cup doubles team. Otto was also an excellent BB player

And of course Otto was also an excellent musician as his father, Otto Sr., was the music director at Waukegan High for many years. When my junior high band participated in district competition in 1960, Otto Sr. was one of the judges.

Won NBA championship before being lured to the Browns. One of only two men to be on championship teams in two of the four major US team sports.
Trivia question: who was the other guy?
I did not know he played pro basketball for a season. He was quite the renaissance man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT