ADVERTISEMENT

Our new PG commits

I think some of your are over hyping what this kid can do in his freshman year. A 3 star who should be a senior in high school. I think its more likely he redshirts than players any significant minutes. No matter how good he looks in high school he's just gonna have to develop physically and mentally to do those same things in the B10

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think some of your are over hyping what this kid can do in his freshman year. A 3 star who should be a senior in high school. I think its more likely he redshirts than players any significant minutes. No matter how good he looks in high school he's just gonna have to develop physically and mentally to do those same things in the B10
0% chance he redshirts. As has been covered, he’s the appropriate age having spent and extra year in school at an earlier age.

No idea what to expect otherwise.

lol, you cannot actually think this guy reclassified just so he can redshirt for a team without a starting pg?

Every starting point guard we’ve had in the last decade has been at most a 3* and they’ve all played significant minutes as a true freshman. The age thing has been covered. Pass me some of what you’re on if you’re not here just to troll.

Every starting point guard we’ve had in the last decade has been at most a 3* and they’ve all played significant minutes as a true freshman. The age thing has been covered. Pass me some of what you’re on if you’re not here just to troll.

I dont think Im trolling. I think Collins will play Ash, Gaines, and Taylor as a lead guard before he puts this kid in. No matter his age he's only played 3 years of high school. He needs more experience before he can be depended on for anything other than practice depth. This isnt the guy who steps in day 1. This is the guy who is there for depth throughout his 4 years. Similar to an Ash career rather than McIntosh.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I dont think Im trolling. I think Collins will play Ash, Gaines, and Taylor as a lead guard before he puts this kid in. No matter his age he's only played 3 years of high school. He needs more experience before he can be depended on for anything other than practice depth. This isnt the guy who steps in day 1. This is the guy who is there for depth throughout his 4 years. Similar to an Ash career rather than McIntosh.

He played 3 years of high school but was already dominating as a freshman. Don't think you know what you are talking about.

Greer is actually rated slightly higher (as a Junior) than BMac was (as a Senior), according to 247. Not trying to claim that he will play as well as BMac, but it isn't like he's some bottom-feeder recruit. They have him as the 37th best combo Guard in the 2019 class. BMac was 41st.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Greer-46041337

Other sites have him listed anywhere from 6-2, 175 to 6-3, 185. One thing I've learned over the years is that program sizes are usually inflated. But the point is, he's a young kid, not particularly big, who is going to have to jump into the Big Ten right away, so my expectations are very limited. I'm glad he's coming, as I said, he gives NU another option, but I'm not expecting a huge immediate impact.

PS--He averaged 12.8 points, 4.5 assists and 7.2 rebounds last year at Prep School, while shooting 50 percent from the floor.

Yeah, it's common for high schools to inflate the size of their kids — for intimidation purposes, I suppose. Years ago I helped recruit a kid to my local Division II college. High school had him listed at 6-8, but when they measured him at the college he was a shade over 6-6. He proved to be a decent seventh man in college, so it worked out.

It is easy to speculate but hard to know, who is gonna do what until for one you know what offense that NU will run. Still seemed to me that part of last years problem was the offense they tried to run did not match the skill set of the players that they had to use most of the time. Even though Taylor was the go to guy last year for Evansville he has decent ball skills,,So I at least see NU as more versatile this upcoming year with more skilled ball handlers than last year, a decent number of innie/outie post up shooters, two legitimate centers. Still would like to see them pick up a 5th yr grad with ball handling skills. Koop is my pick to click next year.

Reactions: DaCat

Have you read other posts? Have you looked at this young man's film? Have you looked at NU's roster?

He's graduating high school with his birth year class.

He moved on from his high school team a year ago and played at a prep school that operates like a small college.

The kid is physically built like a brick shit house....look at the film. Neither Sobo nor B Mac got that big after four years at NU.

The posts above express relief that NU now has a PG who can play some competent minutes....on a team pretty loaded with talent.

Have you read other posts? Have you looked at this young man's film? Have you looked at NU's roster?

He moved on from his high school team a year ago and played at a prep school that operates like a small college.

The kid is physically built like a brick shit house....look at the film. Neither Sobo nor B Mac got that big after four years at NU.

The posts above express relief that NU now has a PG who can play some competent minutes....on a team pretty loaded with talent.

The reports are that Greer is a tough defender and someone who shot 50% from the field last year including 3-pointers. I'll take that from our freshman point guard. Especially if he gives us 20-25 minutes.

It is easy to speculate but hard to know, who is gonna do what until for one you know what offense that NU will run. Still seemed to me that part of last years problem was the offense they tried to run did not match the skill set of the players that they had to use most of the time. Even though Taylor was the go to guy last year for Evansville he has decent ball skills,,So I at least see NU as more versatile this upcoming year with more skilled ball handlers than last year, a decent number of innie/outie post up shooters, two legitimate centers. Still would like to see them pick up a 5th yr grad with ball handling skills. Koop is my pick to click next year.
NU still doesn't seem to have someone who can create a shot off the dribble. Most everyone is a spot-up shooter (Law, Taylor, Falzon, Kopp, Nance?) and much as I like what I have seen of Greer he isn't a rim rattler like Lathon would have been. I hope Collins and Co. can figure out a way to free guys for jump shots, and NU can actually "make shots" this season.

NU still doesn't seem to have someone who can create a shot off the dribble. Most everyone is a spot-up shooter (Law, Taylor, Falzon, Kopp, Nance?) and much as I like what I have seen of Greer he isn't a rim rattler like Lathon would have been. I hope Collins and Co. can figure out a way to free guys for jump shots, and NU can actually "make shots" this season.

If every one of those guys developed one move each, we’d be in great shape ...

I hope Im wrong!
You are if your advocating that Ash, Gaines or Taylor are actual LG/PG's. Would think this young man will be playing 20 plus minutes from the get go and likely pushing 30 by the time the conference schedule comes around.

Haywood or Lou:

If Lathon had stayed, would Greer have been the 13th schollie? Or did all of this get accelerated at light speed because of the circumstances?

Just curious.
Based on everything reported, I have to believe it's the latter.

This kid seemed poised to blow up in terms of recruiting if he had stuck around for another year of high school. Outstanding job by CCC and staff, especially Coach Donlon, to land him after losing Lathon.

Under the highest pressure to replace Lathon, CCC and the staff and especially Coach Donlon reacted with lightning speed. That's recruiting. So VERY impressive.

Several here seem to know his game - Greer looks like another first-rate recruit.

No doubt the last scholarship will go to another impressive player.

GO CATS!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It depends on if they get someone else, say a grad transfer PG. If not he will most likely play. There will be some ups and downs for sure and I would guess that the staff had interest in him for next year but when Lathon went bye bye and Greer was able to graduate early , etc he became the guy.

He has likely played a lot of AAU and that probably gives him tons of experience at a higher level than HS

Haywood or Lou:

If Lathon had stayed, would Greer have been the 13th schollie? Or did all of this get accelerated at light speed because of the circumstances?

Just curious.
Maybe both?

I think that's a good take. The team is pretty stacked with scoring options....Law, Taylor, Turner, Falzon and Pardon....if Greer can run the offense and distribute without a lot of turnovers he can stay on the floor....he doesn't have to score. With that said, wide open and with his shot, he's taking it in the last third of the shot clock.

I will note that from the little amount of film that's out there, while not the longest, the kid has good thickness and strength....when he takes it to the hoop he waits for longer defenders to sort of bounce of him, and then he has a nice, quick release.

Curious about his birth year and month. His body is pretty developed....wouldn't surprise me if he was older.
Except Falzon has barely shown he is a scoring option. If he has a great year, I'd guess he avg about 9 pts a game. Just being honest in saying that I hope the others are better enough to start over him because he pretty much offers nothing inside the perimeter as he has no shot other than a 3 pt shot that he isn't that great with yet.

You are if your advocating that Ash, Gaines or Taylor are actual LG/PG's. Would think this young man will be playing 20 plus minutes from the get go and likely pushing 30 by the time the conference schedule comes around.

I think Collins will have to use a different offense this year. Law, Taylor, Gaines, Turner, Ash, Kopp will all be used in pick and roll situations and who ever does the best will get the most touches leading the offense. You saw Gaines playing PG at the end of last year. I can see him playing minutes there this year. Taylor can play lead when there is no true PG on the floor.
I dont think Collins will give this kid the McIntosh treatment. Difference is this year he has a senior class he wants to give a good year to. He cant afford to let Greer learn on the job.

He has likely played a lot of AAU and that probably gives him tons of experience at a higher level than HS

Most D1 talent play AAU so idk how that makes him different from other more talented kids that probably couldnt scrap 20 minutes a game of B10 basketball in their freshman year?

Yeah I saw his tape. He looked great but he was playing against unathletic dudes and rarely against a guy taller than 6'5". To think he can do these same things at this level is a little crazy to me. There should be no expectations for this guy. You see it time and time again, people come in and cant do the same things they did in high school. I dont know the guy personally, so Im going to assume he's like 90% of other 3 stars and not ready to play 25 minutes in the B10.

0% chance he redshirts. As has been covered, he’s the appropriate age having spent and extra year in school at an earlier age.

No idea what to expect otherwise.

They were trying to get him to reclassify/redshirt before the lathon news broke, but now he'll walk in and start. Baptism by fire at it's finest

They were trying to get him to reclassify/redshirt before the lathon news broke, but now he'll walk in and start. Baptism by fire at it's finest
I know you'd said that earlier, but I think Lou's story after he spoke to Greer said that they'd only talked to him about reclassifying post-Lathon. WHO DO I BELIEVE?

Reactions: ricko654321
I know you'd said that earlier, but I think Lou's story after he spoke to Greer said that they'd only talked to him about reclassifying post-Lathon. WHO DO I BELIEVE?

Yeah no idea, just what I was told I guess. I don't know a thing about basketball, but looks like a Bmac redux to me, obviously not a bad thing. Looks like he has a better stroke from deep though

Yeah no idea, just what I was told I guess. I don't know a thing about basketball, but looks like a Bmac redux to me, obviously not a bad thing. Looks like he has a better stroke from deep though
Mac looks like a better player. Kid looks kind of small. No way he is better than Ash on defense. Wait and see

Except Falzon has barely shown he is a scoring option. If he has a great year, I'd guess he avg about 9 pts a game. Just being honest in saying that I hope the others are better enough to start over him because he pretty much offers nothing inside the perimeter as he has no shot other than a 3 pt shot that he isn't that great with yet.
Hard to improve when you are hobbling around. Hopefully he is finally healthy

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT