ADVERTISEMENT

Padriac William Fisher

I would love to hear more from those who studied PF's film in 2019 as to why his production and performance apparently declined. It's no knock on Alex Miller, but I would imagine not having Lanny (last season 2017) and Thompson (2018) and Wyatt (2018) in front of him in 2019. Probably played more snaps too, and was a bit dinged up by some reports.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I would love to hear more from those who studied PF's film in 2019 as to why his production and performance apparently declined. It's no knock on Alex Miller, but I would imagine not having Lanny (last season 2017) and Thompson (2018) and Wyatt (2018) in front of him in 2019. Probably played more snaps too, and was a bit dinged up by some reports.

Maybe the fact that our defense was playing consistently from behind and was constantly on the field because our offense couldn't Get first downs.

That being said, I never believed the Paddy is a first round pick talk. He is a very good player but is not ideally suited to what today’s NFL is looking for in LBs. The NFL wants guys that are essentially big safeties that can play in space as well as attack the line of scrimmage. Paddy is ok in space but was better suited for the NFL of 10-15 years ago. He will be a mid round pick and have a long career but he is not the type of player who gets drafted in the first couple of rounds these days.

Last edited:

I was surprised that he missed tackles last season, which we hadn't seen many in the previous two seasons. Anthony Walker also had kind of a "junior slump" after his breakout sophomore season, so hope that Padriac can bounce back big time.

ebbs and flows....and in between....some teams like San Francisco and KC had a lot of success running the ball....seems to me everyone is going to want to have a run stopper still in the middle and someone that can stick their nose in at the line off scrimmage.....agree he is better in crowd...more of a bowling ball than a drone but it has been great watching him play

Reactions: NUCat320
Maybe the fact that our defense was playing consistently from behind and was constantly on the field because our offense couldn't Get first downs.

That being said, I never believed the Paddy is a first round pick talk. He is a very good player but is not ideally suited to what today’s NFL is looking for in LBs. The NFL wants guys that are essentially big safeties that can play in space as well as attack the line of scrimmage. Paddy is ok in space but was better suited for the NFL of 10-15 years ago. He will be a mid round pick and have a long career but he is not the type of player who gets drafted in the first couple of rounds these days.
I think that nails it. Guys like Ro Smith can cover 53 yards horizontally if they stay clean. Paddy is much better suited to the Mike role that Fitz excelled at.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised if someone drafts him and asks him to get to 250-260 to play more of an edge/OLB role in the NFL. He's a pretty big dude.

I think the defense became disinterested in the 2nd half of 2019.
You are close to 100% correct. I can say that I happened upon a defense team dinner in Evanston one night with five games to go and pretty much the entire group in attendance had checked out on the season. I personally spoke with five or six starters in a matter of fact manner and one could feel the lack of fire in what they believed. It was especially apparent when Coach Hank and his wife left the gathering. I also heard and felt the a disconnect towards the offense and their lackluster performance.There also seemed to be a lack of leadership by those you thought would bring it to the table. This is a synopsis of a three hour window into the defense, on that particular night. Hopefully if we have a season, there will be more passion and leadership on both sides of the ball. I believe there will be.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be entirely surprised if someone drafts him and asks him to get to 250-260 to play more of an edge/OLB role in the NFL. He's a pretty big dude.
Gotta think that would be in the later rounds right? So many other edge prospects with tape of them actually going after the QB. Paddy would be a pure project.

You are close to 100% correct. I can say that I happened upon a defense team dinner in Evanston one night with five games to go and pretty much the entire group in attendance had checked out on the season. I personally spoke with five or six starters in a matter of fact manner and one could feel the lack of fire in what they believed. It was especially apparent when Coach Hank and his wife left the gathering. I also heard and felt the a disconnect towards the offense and their lackluster performance.Their also seemed to be a lack of leadership by those you thought would bring it to the table. This is a synopsis of a three hour window into the defense, on that particular night. Hopefully if we have a season, there will be more passion and leadership on both sides of the ball. I believe there will be.

Disappointing to hear but quite understandable. Honestly I never felt this hopeless about our ability to win last season since 1999 when Randy Walker first took over and our offense was awful. We know how RW turned that team around with the revolutionary spread offense. I feel we need a dramatic turnaround this season if Fitz wants to keep NU as an attractive competitor to the Notre Damn's and Stanford's for the recruits. Another poor season and we will lose a lot of momentum.

Their (sic) also seemed to be a lack of leadership by those you thought would bring it to the table.

Last season's captain's were Bennett Skowronek, Paddy Fisher, Jared Thomas and Trae Williams. Surprised Gaz wasn't a captain. This year the team needs to step it up big time.

Last season's captain's were Bennett Skowronek, Paddy Fisher, Jared Thomas and Trae Williams. Surprised Gaz wasn't a captain. This year the team needs to step it up big time.
Thanks for the grammatical correction. Agreed regarding the Captains. By the way Gaz and Trae Williams were not there that night.

Reactions: DaCat
You are close to 100% correct. I can say that I happened upon a defense team dinner in Evanston one night with five games to go and pretty much the entire group in attendance had checked out on the season. I personally spoke with five or six starters in a matter of fact manner and one could feel the lack of fire in what they believed. It was especially apparent when Coach Hank and his wife left the gathering. I also heard and felt the a disconnect towards the offense and their lackluster performance.There also seemed to be a lack of leadership by those you thought would bring it to the table. This is a synopsis of a three hour window into the defense, on that particular night. Hopefully if we have a season, there will be more passion and leadership on both sides of the ball. I believe there will be.

Wow.

Just another reason McCall needed to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT