ADVERTISEMENT

Peanut Row Gone

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
I went to campus yesterday and found out practice was closed so I went to see status of the Lakefront Facility. Nothing to see there other than a lot of dirt but saw on the way down Lincoln, saw that all of Peanut Row was gone. I guess they are putting up a new residence hall.

I don't know about others but to me, the openness of the lakefront seems gone as they jam more an more into the area and it seems like they try to do it with a shoe horn

It's been gone for a few years. Lived there for most of my undergrad time. Opened the front door to Lake Michigan every morning. Good times.

I went to campus yesterday and found out practice was closed so I went to see status of the Lakefront Facility. Nothing to see there other than a lot of dirt but saw on the way down Lincoln, saw that all of Peanut Row was gone. I guess they are putting up a new residence hall.

I don't know about others but to me, the openness of the lakefront seems gone as they jam more an more into the area and it seems like they try to do it with a shoe horn
You are correct. The site planning is neither suburban nor urban--arcadian or distopian, it is a nether world, poorly planned yet with occasional charm. And the buildings mostly don't help. Stuck in the schizophrenia of NU--between a stultifying rationalist puritanism on one hand and liberal intellectualism on the other, its architecture and planning fight it out, and not pleasantly.

O course many of those buildings are sitting on what used to be lakefront years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT