ADVERTISEMENT

PETE NANCE

one block over....on pleasant ave

working at Sobee's paid for education

you may have moved away, but Louis Farrakhan move onto 94th and Damen about the time you graduated HS
He lived directly across the alley from my parents house. I played in that house in the late 50's and early 60's with my preschool friend whose parents sold the house to a local pastor, who sold to Farrakhan. Nice house. My dad loved it because there was always secret service parked behind the house. He could look out his bedroom window and say good night to who ever it was.

Four siblings went to MPHS.

And we had a set of Encyclopedias that we grew up with in a special-made bookcase that came w the set.....published before there were 50 states, but a great resource. I think a brother still has them.
My parents literally invested(monthly payments to a traveling salesman) in buying The World Book Encyclopedia set when I was 7or 8. They could not afford the Britannica . I read every volume from cover to cover. I still believe that I learned more from those books than I did in school

One picture still stands out in my mind-a picture of Chinese Gordon's head on a pole in Khartoum

Reactions: Hungry Jack
My parents literally invested(monthly payments to a traveling salesman) in buying The World Book Encyclopedia set when I was 7or 8. They could not afford the Britannica .
Same here. I read the World Books cover to cover. Got me interested in science and history.

Did you know the McDermits?

Tom, the oldest in the family I knew (large family), went to Ignatius and then Spring Hill for college. Didn't know him but we ran into each other in an office in Brussels and he asked, "So, you're from Chicago....do you know....and then we connected a billion dots."

Tim Murphy lived on Pleasant and went to NU in the early 70's (and then NU law school), so thought you might know him. Bobby Havey (94th and Winchester) also went to NU (both undergrad and med school) at that same time. Possibly your contemporaries but a good 7-8 years older than me. I was friends w their younger brothers.

I've been trying to track down a kid from your block for years. Murray Silver...lived second house from the corner (94th street) and backed up to the alley. Close to him in early grade school...parents got divorced and he vanished one day. As I get older I find myself wanting to say hello.

I think the only reason he wasn't starting tonight was due to the size of the other team. We basically played small ball by design to match-up with them. BUT... we were actually much better with the second team. That stretch in the 1st half was really fun to watch. I know it is only an exhibition against a very poor team, but it was definitely satisfying.

The other thing that stood out to me was that the guys seem to have fun playing with each other. They definitely had a spark that I just don't recall seeing last year.

Honestly thought that McKendree wasn't bad for a d2 school. Haven't looked but I'd guess they're pretty decent for their level

Marist 88

Jeremy Nash!

I am to Deering Fish as you are to me....no doubt we know many of the same families....but the age separation means we don't have that immediate connection.

But you get treated with reverence from here forward x bob ..... as far as I'm concerned you are royalty.

Reactions: IGNORE2
New coach this year. They forced out Harry Statham who has won more games than any coach at any level. He didn’t want to leave but at 82 it was becoming time.

My parents literally invested(monthly payments to a traveling salesman) in buying The World Book Encyclopedia set when I was 7or 8. They could not afford the Britannica . I read every volume from cover to cover. I still believe that I learned more from those books than I did in school

One picture still stands out in my mind-a picture of Chinese Gordon's head on a pole in Khartoum
Count me as a World Book guy. Did the same and have the same appreciation for it. Learned about the Birds and the Bees that way. I remember how completely shocked I was. Was in a daze all through dinner that night. And then I became the kid that other people's kids learned things from on the bus.

I sometimes wonder whether Wikipedia is as effective in providing as broad an exposure, because you jump around through links (that generally have association), rather than going through things alphabetically which almost forces you to learn about things you otherwise would not encounter. Used to play a game with my son though to try to get to anything from any other thing within 7 degrees. It usually can be done, so who knows.

Parents also bought a set of history books from pre-colonial (first volume was called a New World) all the way to modern times, which at time was Jimmy Carter or something like that, which is how I became a history buff. Thanks mom and dad for all that you did for me.

Reactions: IGNORE2

My parents have an old set that I'd like to get rid of. Interested?

My mom's a writer and she won't part with her circa 1981 World Book encyclopedia set because sometimes she wants to know what people knew back then.

Reactions: NUCat320
Marist 88

Jeremy Nash!

I am to Deering Fish as you are to me....no doubt we know many of the same families....but the age separation means we don't have that immediate connection.

But you get treated with reverence from here forward x bob ..... as far as I'm concerned you are royalty.

South side!

My dad and his three brothers were raised at 104th and Oakley. All went to MPHS.

We also belonged to RCC, folks were involved w Beverly Arts Center and I played a lot of call at Ridge and Beverly Park. There was a hot dog place on western that we would celebrate victories after the games.

Reactions: mikewebb68
South side!

My dad and his three brothers were raised at 104th and Oakley. All went to MPHS.

We also belonged to RCC, folks were involved w Beverly Arts Center and I played a lot of call at Ridge and Beverly Park. There was a hot dog place on western that we would celebrate victories after the games.

The two hot dog places were Jensen's Drive In and Red's. Red's is now gone.

I played a lot of bball at Ridge...favorite memory was walking out of practice in the depths of a Chicago winter without a coat on because we were steaming like a bunch of long neck clams. Drinking vending machine orange fanta until our foreheads iced up. A signal to put our coats on.

RCC was great. Big mob influence there over the card games, but great.

South side!

The two hot dog places were Jensen's Drive In and Red's. Red's is now gone.

I played a lot of bball at Ridge...favorite memory was walking out of practice in the depths of a Chicago winter without a coat on because we were steaming like a bunch of long neck clams. Drinking vending machine orange fanta until our foreheads iced up. A signal to put our coats on.

RCC was great. Big mob influence there over the card games, but great.

Funny thing, reds was owned by Frank ‘Hot Dog’ Cunningham. Great guy and another Ridge member - gave me my first job as a can man. My dad still talks to him regularly. His oldest daughter eventually worked for me managing my first restaurant. He also was active involve in the Beverly Arts Center and a big part of them obtaining that property and the new building there (not so new now...)

Mob still present at the club. No names to be dropped here, but quite a few. And the Vryodliaks have now infested the club.

When I finally became a member, Ken Harrelson joined. Got to play w him twice (again because of my old man). Hawk looked four hundred years old, hit the ball a country mile w accuracy and had so many excellent stories.

Jensen’s was the post game spot I was trying to remember.

Funny thing, seems like I found many loyalty type groups in my life starting w the south side. Rugby players, fraternity brotherhood, etc. Kinda cool when you accidentally bump into one and the stories pour out and the nature of the relationship abruptly changes.

If we meet, remind me to run the names of my uncles past you and deering. Four guys through MPHS, about 2-3 years apart kept their name in the school for more than a decade. Wouldn’t surprise me if you knew a couple of them.

Gma taught at various CPS for about 50 years and was pretty well known too.

Nance isn't as athletic as his older bro, but has a better skill set at this stage.

Up to 220 lbs, so while light for his height, don't think it's as big of an issue (Durant was a beanpole at UT and Swop played a mean PF at only 210 lbs.

As his physique matures, Nance should be an all-around force.

Ha - did the same thing.

Think some of my grade school teachers didn't appreciate it when I knew more about a topic then they did (altho others didn't seem to mind).

Last edited:
My parents literally invested(monthly payments to a traveling salesman) in buying The World Book Encyclopedia set when I was 7or 8. They could not afford the Britannica. I read every volume from cover to cover. I still believe that I learned more from those books than I did in school.

Almanacs and atlases as well. Did you know that Woodall Mtn. is the highest point in Mississippi, or Timms Hill is the highest point in Wisconsin? I devoured geographical trivia when I was a kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT