ADVERTISEMENT

Play B1G "out of conference"?

DonatelloCat

Jul 22, 2013
Storm Sewers, New York City
I saw a comment from Jim Phillips that Northwestern / the Big Ten has considered doing this, given the challenges of scheduling out of conference games. In other words, maybe play 10 Big Ten games in the regular season (although I am assuming it would've been 8 + 1 out of conference originally when this was considered in the past). My initial reaction is that I don't like it.

I also dislike the idea, but I also hate out of conference games against 2nd or 3rd tier competition. The result is either a ho-hum win (Eastern Illinois) or a gut-wrenching loss (Illinois State).

Why can't we get the B1G to set up something like the ACC challenge we have in basketball? How about a round robin with the other Power 5 conferences? We could have one out-of-conference game against an ACC team and one game against a PAC 12 team the first year, then games against the BIG 12 and SEC the following year.

Reactions: Cats20
I also dislike the idea, but I also hate out of conference games against 2nd or 3rd tier competition. The result is either a ho-hum win (Eastern Illinois) or a gut-wrenching loss (Illinois State).

Why can't we get the B1G to set up something like the ACC challenge we have in basketball? How about a round robin with the other Power 5 conferences? We could have one out-of-conference game against an ACC team and one game against a PAC 12 team the first year, then games against the BIG 12 and SEC the following year.

I hate those 2nd and 3rd tier games too. However, many of the non-P5 programs are financially propped up by being the sacrificial lamb at a P5 palace. Maybe there is 1 of those games plus a P5 out of conference round robin of 2 games, plus the current conference schedule.

Few Big 10 coaches would like adding difficult OOC games. Many play 1 such game, but 9 conference games plus 1 other Power 5 is probably the limit. Just too difficult to play challenging teams for 12 Saturdays.

Reactions: willycat

Unless you're in the top handful of teams nationally, the "strength of schedule" angle is much weaker than simply scheduling a likely win to ensure bowl eligibility.

Reactions: phatcat
Few Big 10 coaches would like adding difficult OOC games. Many play 1 such game, but 9 conference games plus 1 other Power 5 is probably the limit. Just too difficult to play challenging teams for 12 Saturdays.

The coaches don't like playing that many challenging games because it makes an uneven playing field, but if everyone was subject to the same round robin, then there would be no disadvantage. You could pull team names out of a hat for matchups. So Rutgers could get Kansas and not be disappointed.

Maybe one of these games each year would be enough to keep the lower tier programs alive.

The coaches don't like playing that many challenging games because it makes an uneven playing field, but if everyone was subject to the same round robin, then there would be no disadvantage. You could pull team names out of a hat for matchups. So Rutgers could get Kansas and not be disappointed.

Maybe one of these games each year would be enough to keep the lower tier programs alive.

Fitz was quoted as saying the Big 10 coaches unanimously voted for an 8 game conference schedule, not 9, so adding more difficult games is inconsistent with their wishes even if everyone has to play them.....

Fitz was quoted as saying the Big 10 coaches unanimously voted for an 8 game conference schedule, not 9, so adding more difficult games is inconsistent with their wishes even if everyone has to play them.....

Also let's all remember you need to win at least 6 games to become bowl eligible. Playing nine conference games and then 2 power conference foes could leave NU sitting at home for the holidays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT