ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Red Shirt Rule Change

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
The NCAA is going to vote on changing the rule for red shirting to allow a player to play up to 4 games and still get 4 remaining years of eligibility. In essence this is applying the medical red shirt rule to all players.

I love this change. Gives players more game action, and provides replacements for injuries late in the year. I see no down side for kids who are ready to compete at the Division I level their freshman year.

I like the rule in general, but I think it should restrict those games to the first half of the season. Specifically, I don't like the idea of a particularly dynamic athlete being held back for a few gimmick series late in the season and influencing a championship race.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I like the rule in general, but I think it should restrict those games to the first half of the season. Specifically, I don't like the idea of a particularly dynamic athlete being held back for a few gimmick series late in the season and influencing a championship race.

interesting point. you could, in theory, introduce new players every week! it would have a very real impact on the strategy, game planning, etc.

Might cause some statistical oddities. Say an Alabama kid plays 4 games first year, redshirts. Second year 4 games, redshirts due to injury.

Then played every game for 4 years.

That's like 68 career games

Just curious, does anyone know the timing of the vote, and if passed, when it will be applied? Will it start with 2017-2018 season?

Just curious, does anyone know the timing of the vote, and if passed, when it will be applied? Will it start with 2017-2018 season?

The vote would be in January 2018 if it makes it through committee review this year.

Fitz is quoted and strongly in favor:

“It benefits everybody on the team,” said Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. “If I can get [star running back] Justin Jackson off the field for 20 plays a game, that’s 240 in a season where we’re able to get him some rest. It’s going to benefit him in the short term, and it’s going to benefit his NFL career.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-christian-mccaffrey-leonard-fournette-050817

The vote would be in January 2018 if it makes it through committee review this year.

Fitz is quoted and strongly in favor:

“It benefits everybody on the team,” said Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. “If I can get [star running back] Justin Jackson off the field for 20 plays a game, that’s 240 in a season where we’re able to get him some rest. It’s going to benefit him in the short term, and it’s going to benefit his NFL career.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-christian-mccaffrey-leonard-fournette-050817

why is he assuming a 12 game season?! :(

Reactions: NJCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT