ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Facility

Delays to Taj Fitz are having a knock-on effect for the basketball/volleyball practice facility:

"A $20 million facility for men's and women's basketball, volleyball and other programs that will be built inside an existing adjacent building is expected to open in late 2018 or 2019."

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/northwestern-looks-build-first-run-ncaa-tournament

Not sure what you are referring to. I don't see anything about a delay to the Taj Fitz. It is not an "existing adjacent building" I think this is referring to Trienens LINK

Here is a quote:

Northwestern's upcoming renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena will include a state-of-the-art practice facility for basketball, volleyball and other Wildcats programs, the University announced on Tuesday. The enhancement is possible thanks in large part to a gift of up to $20 million from University trustee and alumnus Howard J. Trienens. In recognition of his continuing generosity, the facility will be named the Trienens Performance Center.

Not sure what you are referring to. I don't see anything about a delay to the Taj Fitz. It is not an "existing adjacent building" I think this is referring to Trienens LINK

Here is a quote:

Northwestern's upcoming renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena will include a state-of-the-art practice facility for basketball, volleyball and other Wildcats programs, the University announced on Tuesday. The enhancement is possible thanks in large part to a gift of up to $20 million from University trustee and alumnus Howard J. Trienens. In recognition of his continuing generosity, the facility will be named the Trienens Performance Center.
I know where the practice facility will be. The problem is, until the football team vacates Trienens, they cannot start work on the basketball renovation. Ryan Fieldhouse was supposed to be done in October, allowing the team to move there right now and work to start on Trienens. But with NU looking at a bowl game and Ryan Field House still not done, the football team will be holding indoor practice at Trienens through the end of the year. Hence, the delay to Ryan delays renovation of the basketball facilities.

Reactions: ricko654321
I know where the practice facility will be. The problem is, until the football team vacates Trienens, they cannot start work on the basketball renovation. Ryan Fieldhouse was supposed to be done in October, allowing the team to move there right now and work to start on Trienens. But with NU looking at a bowl game and Ryan Field House still not done, the football team will be holding indoor practice at Trienens through the end of the year. Hence, the delay to Ryan delays renovation of the basketball facilities.

OK - didn't realize the details. I guess I didn't know that Fieldhouse was supposed to be done so soon. Thanks for the explanation. That is unfortunate.

those have been the internal timelines for a while. No surprise here.

lakeside - summer 2018
WR - Nov 2018
Practice Facility - early 2019

lakeside - summer 2018
WR - Nov 2018
At the August BTN Camp Tour, Dr. Jim said the indoor facility would be done in October and that the Walter Center in May 2018. That was just 2 months ago.

At the August BTN Camp Tour, Dr. Jim said the indoor facility would be done in October and that the Walter Center in May 2018. That was just 2 months ago.

just because the indoor is done does not mean the building is completed or able to be occupied. the indoor is a cavity with turf. practice might be able to be held there for the bowl game but its still a working construction site with lots of logistical issues.

lakeside - summer 2018
WR - Nov 2018

The WRA timeline is pretty tight, by all accounts. I wonder what the contingency plan is? Probably opening next season at AllState Arena. Pray for a mild winter, people.

The season starts in 10 days and we are wasting time talking about the following season. Too funny!

How about this? If you look at every team in the Big 10’s starters and 3-4 top bench players, NU has the most experienced and deep team with three possible All Big 10 top 3 teams players in McIntosh, Lindsey and Law. As for benches, we are a top 3-4 bench behind maybe Iowa, MSU and no one else. Could be another ground breaking year.

I drove past WR yesterday. The crews are starting to close up the structure, working on the sides on now. It's a much larger footprint. Looks from the outside that the entirety of the previous building is the open arena and the new, outer-structure is the pass-way/food vendor area.

The season starts in 10 days and we are wasting time talking about the following season. Too funny!

How about this? If you look at every team in the Big 10’s starters and 3-4 top bench players, NU has the most experienced and deep team with three possible All Big 10 top 3 teams players in McIntosh, Lindsey and Law. As for benches, we are a top 3-4 bench behind maybe Iowa, MSU and no one else. Could be another ground breaking year.

What I find exciting is we're not relying on one or two players to take a leap. There are conceivably five or six guys (Pardon, Falzon, Brown, Rap, Benson, Skelly) who could each improve their games significantly and deliver us an extra win or two. That's not counting a freshman we're currently high on. Even if only half of them perform, that's huge. Very different outlook from just about any year of being a NU MBB fan.

As of last Saturday, they were closing up the exterior walls on the Southwest corner of WR. They still have to bump out and frame the eastern expansion, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT