ADVERTISEMENT

$10 million (plus) reasons why NU will / won't make a change.

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Jim Phillips did a lot of good things for NU. Let's all hope one of them is giving NU an out of Collins reported contract paying him $3 million plus a year for the next three seasons after this one.

I fully believe Phillips thought that Collins would be winning consistently in his $110 million new stadium and $10 million (est.) hoops / volleyball practice facility and convinced himself it was all going to pay for itself with PSL and a rocking Wilson Club with fans.

I can't imaging the money the program is losing right now. I can tell you (because I attend all these games in the Wilson Club) that it is maybe, maybe 50% sold. Certainly its usage rate is not more than 50%.

When I look out, I see the same across the rest of the stadium. I would guess that PSLs are paid on maybe 50 of the seats in the stadium but that has to be dropping annually.

Since NU is already hemorrhaging money on Fitz' practice facility, the overall effect on the operating budget for the athletic department can't be good. Add in the upcoming steep decline in football seasons ticket sales and this has to be coming a real issue. Honestly, do not be surprised if NU loses a program for budgetary reasons in the coming years.

Morty and Phillips were amazing for NU sports. They gave us a period of years where it all seemed headed in the right direction for NU to compete annually but ultimately, the same things that money can't fix - small fanbase and limited recruiting base (totally self inflicted wound here) - are now going to threaten to kill NU sports financially.

I keep harkening back to one thing - NU Is first and foremost one of the top academic universities in the world. Years ago, NU proposed a new student center. The model was up in basement of Norris for the $200 million plus facility. IT HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT. Instead, under the leadership of Morty, they built Welsh-Ryan and the practice facility and Pat Ryan gave the lead gift on a new football stadium. I am convinced that Morty and Phillips thought all of the new toys would pay for themselves but they never realized one basic fact - the margin between winning and losing is really small - like having your incredible football defensive coordinator retire thin or recruiting Miller Kopp over Saddiq Bey.

I will admit that I am really down on NU revenue sports right now. I am also careful to limit my comments to football and basketball because that is where the money is being spent and not getting results. Sadly, I know the fix and everyone else who watches knows the fix as well. It is so easy and would cost the university a few million dollars and at the same time would pay for itself over and over again.

Here it is: create an academic program tailored to athletes and lower admissions to the standards of Duke.

In this scenario, I would also retain Collins because I actually do believe that Collins is going to be successful in his next job because he is a really good recruiter so the money is already there in the form of the money saved from not buying out Collins.

a) I can't imaging the money the program is losing right now. I can tell you (because I attend all these games in the Wilson Club) that it is maybe, maybe 50% sold. Certainly its usage rate is not more than 50%.

When I look out, I see the same across the rest of the stadium. I would guess that PSLs are paid on maybe 50 of the seats in the stadium but that has to be dropping annually.

b) I keep harkening back to one thing - NU Is first and foremost one of the top academic universities in the world. Years ago, NU proposed a new student center. The model was up in basement of Norris for the $200 million plus facility. IT HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT. Instead, under the leadership of Morty, they built Welsh-Ryan and the practice facility and Pat Ryan gave the lead gift on a new football stadium.
a) I think you're vastly underrating the pissing-away money of the average Wilson Club ticketholder. I think a large number of those seats are sold, and there is so much pissing away money that they don't care whether they use the tickets or not. It's the same as purple seat problem. It's always been a HUGE problem for NU.

But I'll agree with you that the usage rate is far less than 50%.

b) Let's not pretend the athletic facilities were built and nothing else is happening on campus. The Kellogg school ... the Wirtz renovations ... the visitors center ... and that's off the top of my head in the last 10 years.

It's too bad NU can't find a naming donor for the student center. It's also too bad the school won't shell out the money by itself.

a) I think you're vastly underrating the pissing-away money of the average Wilson Club ticketholder. I think a large number of those seats are sold, and there is so much pissing away money that they don't care whether they use the tickets or not. It's the same as purple seat problem. It's always been a HUGE problem for NU.

But I'll agree with you that the usage rate is far less than 50%.

b) Let's not pretend the athletic facilities were built and nothing else is happening on campus. The Kellogg school ... the Wirtz renovations ... the visitors center ... and that's off the top of my head in the last 10 years.

It's too bad NU can't find a naming donor for the student center. It's also too bad the school won't shell out the money by itself.
This, plus the fact that much of the AD revenue is generated by the B1G Network contract. CCC's buyout would be a tough pill to swallow, but I doubt the basketball program is hemorrhaging money right now.

Northwestern has to get a good team on the floor that can win, or at least be competitive for conference titles. If that takes the lowering of whatever the academic standards happen to be, or looking for transfers that have completed a year of school somewhere else, then so be it.

Once there is a winning team, then get butts in the seats by hook or crook. Give away unsold tickets to people in the neighboring communities Until you build some sort of brand loyalty for the program. Also, get people who have tickets but are not using them to donate them to give away to potential future fans.

Jim Phillips did a lot of good things for NU. Let's all hope one of them is giving NU an out of Collins reported contract paying him $3 million plus a year for the next three seasons after this one.

I fully believe Phillips thought that Collins would be winning consistently in his $110 million new stadium and $10 million (est.) hoops / volleyball practice facility and convinced himself it was all going to pay for itself with PSL and a rocking Wilson Club with fans.

I can't imaging the money the program is losing right now. I can tell you (because I attend all these games in the Wilson Club) that it is maybe, maybe 50% sold. Certainly its usage rate is not more than 50%.

Since NU is already hemorrhaging money on Fitz' practice facility, the overall effect on the operating budget for the athletic department can't be good. Add in the upcoming steep decline in football seasons ticket sales and this has to be coming a real issue. Honestly, do not be surprised if NU loses a program for budgetary reasons in the coming years.

Morty and Phillips were amazing for NU sports. They gave us a period of years where it all seemed headed in the right direction for NU to compete annually but ultimately, the same things that money can't fix - small fanbase and limited recruiting base (totally self inflicted wound here) - are now going to threaten to kill NU sports financially.

I keep harkening back to one thing - NU Is first and foremost one of the top academic universities in the world. Years ago, NU proposed a new student center. The model was up in basement of Norris for the $200 million plus facility. IT HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT. Instead, under the leadership of Morty, they built Welsh-Ryan and the practice facility and Pat Ryan gave the lead gift on a new football stadium. I am convinced that Morty and Phillips thought all of the new toys would pay for themselves but they never realized one basic fact - the margin between winning and losing is really small - like having your incredible football defensive coordinator retire thin or recruiting Miller Kopp over Saddiq Bey.

I will admit that I am really down on NU revenue sports right now. I am also careful to limit my comments to football and basketball because that is where the money is being spent and not getting results. Sadly, I know the fix and everyone else who watches knows the fix as well. It is so easy and would cost the university a few million dollars and at the same time would pay for itself over and over again.

Here it is: create an academic program tailored to athletes and lower admissions to the standards of Duke.

In this scenario, I would also retain Collins because I actually do believe that Collins is going to be successful in his next job because he is a really good recruiter so the money is already there in the form of the money saved from not buying out Collins.
I continue to be disappointed in NU's approach to academic standards for athletes (and musicians, artists, actors, etc...). NU should strive for excellence across the spectrum. If someone is one of the best in the world at what they do, then that should outweigh whether they are an A or even B-level student. It drives me crazy that NU doesn't get that.

Northwestern has to get a good team on the floor that can win, or at least be competitive for conference titles. If that takes the lowering of whatever the academic standards happen to be, or looking for transfers that have completed a year of school somewhere else, then so be it.

Once there is a winning team, then get butts in the seats by hook or crook. Give away unsold tickets to people in the neighboring communities Until you build some sort of brand loyalty for the program. Also, get people who have tickets but are not using them to donate them to give away to potential future fans.
"Northwestern has to get a good team on he floor that can win, or at least be competitive for conference titles"

Why? Why does that "have" to happen? I'm paying my daughter's tuition at NU and I graduated from NU myself.

I would say "competing for conference titles in basketball" is not important at all.

"Northwestern has to get a good team on he floor that can win, or at least be competitive for conference titles"

Why? Why does that "have" to happen? I'm paying my daughter's tuition at NU and I graduated from NU myself.

I would say "competing for conference titles in basketball" is not important at all.
I was one of the very many basketball fans who swore to the Gods of basketball that if Northwestern made the tournament one time, just one time, I would basically never ask for anything from the sport of basketball ever again. That I would be happy forever.

Well, human beings are fickle, but that's still the nature of our basketball program. Northwestern basketball is historically the worst power five basketball program since the founding of the sport. Literally nobody else has our record of futility. Competing for conference titles? What the heck are we talking about here?

Did you even really go to Northwestern because it's literally in our mission statement on the website:

"Northwestern is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community. . . and winning 11 conference games in any non-COVID shortened season."​

I'm assuming this mission statement was vetted extensively by the Board, so who are we to argue otherwise?

Last edited:

Harris Hall, renovations to many of the large freshman/sophomore dorms like Allison/Elder/Willad, 560 Lincoln, nanofabrication facilities in Tech, The Garage, Hogan Building, Mudd Library, Louis Hall and Searle renovations, Cahn Auditorium renovation. I'm sure others. All since 2010, for sure.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Harris Hall, renovations to many of the large freshman/sophomore dorms like Allison/Elder/Willad, 560 Lincoln, nanofabrication facilities in Tech, The Garage, Hogan Building, Mudd Library, Louis Hall and Searle renovations, Cahn Auditorium renovation. I'm sure others. All since 2010, for sure.
Pretty sure they haven't touched Lunt though.
It still stands there proudly.

On the other hand, the fraternity system has collapsed.
Canceled, I suppose.

I don't know if it's the same endwoment or not, but you can also add renovations/upgrades to the Law School

This, plus the fact that much of the AD revenue is generated by the B1G Network contract. CCC's buyout would be a tough pill to swallow, but I doubt the basketball program is hemorrhaging money right now.
And if they are, your signature has the answer.

Why bother even having D1 athletics?

I don't know if it's the same endwoment or not, but you can also add renovations/upgrades to the Law School
Sure, and the medical school, and facilities elsewhere in the Chicago area and other NU campuses. I was only going for Evanston.

The university has invested a ton in its capital assets during the period of time that athletics has received these upgrades. And the fact that most observers are aware only of the athletics upgrades is exactly why you invest in those upgrades - because athletics is the most visible segment of the university to the public at large. It is the first and often only touchstone for how people not on campus every day view the university. These were good, prudent, long-term choices for investment regardless of how a team performs in any given season.

Sure, and the medical school, and facilities elsewhere in the Chicago area and other NU campuses. I was only going for Evanston.

The university has invested a ton in its capital assets during the period of time that athletics has received these upgrades. And the fact that most observers are aware only of the athletics upgrades is exactly why you invest in those upgrades - because athletics is the most visible segment of the university to the public at large. It is the first and often only touchstone for how people not on campus every day view the university. These were good, prudent, long-term choices for investment regardless of how a team performs in any given season.
This is exactly why athletics are important. It keeps alumni tied to the university because they get to watch their team every week. It also spreads the name of the university far and wide. I can only guess how much well known Northwestern is because of membership in the Big Ten, and having been competitive in football the last few years. Rice is also a fantastic university, but I would guess only has a fraction of the name recognition Northwestern has.

This is exactly why athletics are important. It keeps alumni tied to the university because they get to watch their team every week. It also spreads the name of the university far and wide. I can only guess how much well known Northwestern is because of membership in the Big Ten, and having been competitive in football the last few years. Rice is also a fantastic university, but I would guess only has a fraction of the name recognition Northwestern has.

You would think so, but I have been told by NU students that people out east often think Northwestern is the same school as Northeastern. Some University of Mississippi students thought NU was a junior college.

Lived in a couple of the North dorms which were the pits.

My timing is just horrible - my HS was getting renovated during my last couple of years, so missed out on that as well.

Is Norris really that bad? It has a Starbucks *and* a Dunkin now!

This is exactly why athletics are important. It keeps alumni tied to the university because they get to watch their team every week.
During football and basketball season I think about Northwestern several time a week, daily if there is something really good going on like a bowl game to play for, etc.

If we didn't have these teams I would rarely think about where I went to school. Not that I would have "turned my back" or anything but it's not like I think about where I went to High School daily.

The Rice example you gave was excellent. Great school a lot like NU with a completely different profile precisely because they don't have their teams on national tv all the time.

We need great athletic teams. It builds school spirit. Happy students today makes for willing donors tomorrow.

I think the B1G tv revenue payout to each school for Bball/Ftball is about $50 million / year, so they probably aren't hemorrhaging money.

During football and basketball season I think about Northwestern several time a week, daily if there is something really good going on like a bowl game to play for, etc.

If we didn't have these teams I would rarely think about where I went to school. Not that I would have "turned my back" or anything but it's not like I think about where I went to High School daily.

The Rice example you gave was excellent. Great school a lot like NU with a completely different profile precisely because they don't have their teams on national tv all the time.

We need great athletic teams. It builds school spirit. Happy students today makes for willing donors tomorrow.
+1 to the Rice example. Might as well throw-in UChicgo, Wash U, and Johns Hopkins as well. All of those are fantastic institutions of higher learning, but many NU students turned down those places because being a member of the BIG creates a different campus atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT