ADVERTISEMENT

Priebe in portal

While I am probably a minority of one on this board, I don't think we should fire the OC.

But if we do, Braun is doing the right thing saying "Here is the coaching squad till now, fire or keep whomever you want".
I agree with you.

It is important to have a public scapegoat in these matters. He is an easy target.
1. Obviously, Fitz was the scapegoat (and also responsible).
2. Bajakian has been notably bad at his job.
3. Nothing about him apparently being a tool when discussing it is “public”.
4. I’ll be interested if Jim O’Donnell has a take when the hammer inevitably falls.

It’s a very weird situation for everyone involved when firings are likely/possible/already known(?) after the bowl game. Objectively, the quarterback situation alone (not to mention the bottom quartile offense) is enough to justify Bajakian’s firing.

I do find it weird that Priebe advocated for his coach in this message — if Anderson is retained, does Priebe exit the portal?

Unfortunately for Priebe, because Bajakian is likely gone, it’s likely his staff is gone. I doubt any future OC will change his OL coach decision based on retaining a very good lineman for one year.

I appreciate that you took the time to clarify what came across as an attempt to antagonize.

I wasn't sure if you were disagreeing with my statement that "Keeping all the coaches thru the bowl game is a no-brainer" or my statement that Braun has been told to fire "this guy and that guy."

Sounds like you declared me "incorrect" because Braun will only been forced to fire one guy, not two?

On the other hand, is Priebe basically telling us that Braun is going to terminate Anderson?

No, that’s not what Priebe is telling us. He’s telling us that Braun would not commit to Anderson returning next season nor a timeline on which that decision would be made, which made him sufficiently uncomfortable that he entered the transfer portal.

1. Obviously, Fitz was the scapegoat (and also responsible).
2. Bajakian has been notably bad at his job.
3. Nothing about him apparently being a tool when discussing it is “public”.
4. I’ll be interested if Jim O’Donnell has a take when the hammer inevitably falls.

It’s a very weird situation for everyone involved when firings are likely/possible/already known(?) after the bowl game. Objectively, the quarterback situation alone (not to mention the bottom quartile offense) is enough to justify Bajakian’s firing.

I do find it weird that Priebe advocated for his coach in this message — if Anderson is retained, does Priebe exit the portal?

Unfortunately for Priebe, because Bajakian is likely gone, it’s likely his staff is gone. I doubt any future OC will change his OL coach decision based on retaining a very good lineman for one year.
If the man is truly dead man walking, like most of us think he is, Braun should have released him after the Illinois game. End of story.

If the man is truly dead man walking, like most of us think he is, Braun should have released him after the Illinois game. End of story.
Are there examples? I truly don’t know what is the standard. I assume it varies. I also assume very few fire/retain *decisions* are made following Game 13. Announcements are a different story.

Who is on the Texas AM staff right now? Duke?

If Bajakian or Anderson or Binns or Foster or (another offensive coach?, probably tight ends) know something, obviously they’ve got the right to look around, and are doing so. Coaches, rightfully, are always looking around.

Last edited:
Are there examples? I truly don’t know what is the standard. I assume it varies. I also assume very few fire/retain *decisions* are made following Game 13. Announcements are a different story.

If Bajakian or Anderson or Binns or Tucker or (another offensive coach?, probably tight ends) know something, obviously they’ve got the right to look around, and are doing so. Coaches, rightfully, are always looking around.

Who’s Tucker?

If Bajakian or Anderson or Binns or Tucker or (another offensive coach?, probably tight ends) know something, obviously they’ve got the right to look around, and are doing so. Coaches, rightfully, are always looking around.
Usually when someone is told or announced as leaving the team cuts ties right away rather than have a lame duck in charge.

Usually when someone is told or announced as leaving the team cuts ties right away rather than have a lame duck in charge.
So, literally the only example I can think of…when Zook was fired despite his team qualifying for a bowl, DC Vic Koenning served as interim head coach. The next season, he was AHC/Safeties at UNC. That would be the same trajectory as any NU offensive staff not retained.

So, literally the only example I can think of…when Zook was fired despite his team qualifying for a bowl, DC Vic Koenning served as interim head coach. The next season, he was AHC/Safeties at UNC. That would be the same trajectory as any NU offensive staff not retained.
I don’t understand exactly what you want examples of? There have been several coaches terminated either by their own choice or their bosses choice that hit the door as soon as notified.

I don’t understand exactly what you want examples of? There have been several coaches terminated either by their own choice or their bosses choice that hit the door as soon as notified.
I’m looking for coaches/staffs let go after the bowl game.

I’m looking for coaches/staffs let go after the bowl game.
Yes, I believe this happens, but far less frequently than before bowl games. The timing of the recruiting calendar pretty much necessitates it. That is why I am dismayed that if there has already been an agreement to depart ( as reported by Lou) that he is allowed to Coach the bowl game.

Reactions: drewjin
Yes, I believe this happens, but far less frequently than before bowl games. The timing of the recruiting calendar pretty much necessitates it. That is why I am dismayed that if there has already been an agreement to depart ( as reported by Lou) that he is allowed to Coach the bowl game.
You wrote that Braun should have let him go (edited) before the bowl game. “End of story.” I provided one example of a coach who was on staff for a bowl game, then fired (presumably).

I’m looking for examples of coaches fired after a bowl game, versus examples of coaches fired between the last game of the regular season and the bowl game. I’m assuming many staffs who qualify for bowl games remain intact (or have coaches poached).

So, *your* opinion is that coaches should be let go right away. I’m wondering if that the industry standard.

Last edited:
NU can't afford to lose anybody, so I'm sorry to see Priebe go. IMHO, the team is no longer the gulag it had become the previous two seasons and looks like it's headed in the right direction. The team today is exciting enough to keep the players it has. So Priebe's decision seems narrowly focused.

You wrote that Braun should have let him go after the bowl game. “End of story.” I provided one example of a coach who was on staff for a bowl game, then fired (presumably).

I’m looking for examples of coaches fired after a bowl game, versus examples of coaches fired between the last game of the regular season and the bowl game. I’m assuming many staffs who qualify for bowl games remain intact (or have coaches poached).

So, *your* opinion is that coaches should be let go right away. I’m wondering if that the industry standard.
Where did I say he should be let go after the bowl game? I said after the Illinois game.

..... Our mountain to win the B1G went from climbing Mt. McKinley to climbing Everest. You won't get there with who we have as OC now. Bajakian didn't have Fitz around this season and only gave us 3-4 whole games worth of really good offense, if that. Innovation is needed to get the recruiting back on track. We will never get another Persa or Thorson til we get a better system. We won't even get top portal transfers.

Fact check time:

"Climbing" Mt. McKinley (a/k/a Denali) is actually a taller order than climbing Everest:

Its base is situated at an elevation of 2,000 feet, and its summit is only about 9,000 feet below Everest's, according to the National Park Service. This makes Denali roughly 3,000 feet taller than Everest, when measured from base to peak.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Fact check time:

"Climbing" Mt. McKinley (a/k/a Denali) is actually a taller order than climbing Everest:

Its base is situated at an elevation of 2,000 feet, and its summit is only about 9,000 feet below Everest's, according to the National Park Service. This makes Denali roughly 3,000 feet taller than Everest, when measured from base to peak.

What about Mt. Trashmore on a hot and muggy August day in Evanston?

Saw him in one of the Vegas stories on IG with Elvis so he’s there. I assume he will play but who knows.
If he was seen in the company of Elvis, Jim Morrison, and Jesus, then we can draw conclusions about whether he is actually there or not.

• Wow
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
How can you guys stomach an OC who in four years has never fielded and offense ranked better than 93rd, and the other three years 125th, 128th and 104th? That’s out of 128 teams that play FBS football.
I can't. And the supposed Fitz shackles were off this year. And three good portal additions in skill positions

Coach Jake was clearly fiercely loyal to Fitz...and why not? Jake is a so-so coordinator/coach at best...Fitz hired him and had his back the whole time. On one hand I respect Jake's loyalty but on the other hand...what'd he have to lose by going down with that ship when he really did nothing to distinguish himself on his own merits alone? If he's leaving now "because the higher-ups didn't like me," and Braun is willing to help corroborate that...it's a much better narrative than "based on metrics, I'm objectively a terrible offensive coordinator except when I get fed a QB who already knows how to QB."

The vibe I get from Anderson is that he is/was a well-liked guy by coaches and players, but also had shortcomings with respect to his core coaching responsibilities beyond building unity. This is the wrong line of work for nice guys who aren't super at their jobs.

It's sad to see a guy like Priebe leave, seemingly in tribute to his position coach, and under the most favorable microscope that's a tribute to the culture Fitz created, but it's probably also a good indicator of why we hit rock bottom.

But also for Priebe, is this where you'd want to spend your final season next year? Think about it...just suffered the trauma of losing your head coach under really negative circumstances, now likely losing your position coach who you love, and your coordinator...need to learn a new system under guys who may not value you as much, protecting a QB who if it's Sullivan may not exactly give you a ton of optimism, playing home games god knows where with Washington, Ohio State, and Michigan on the schedule. When you think about it in those terms...Jesus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT