ADVERTISEMENT

Question about redshirts

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I know in basketball it's one game and you lose your redshirt (other than extenuating circumstances, usually related to injuries), but my question is to you have to officially declare that you're pulling someone's shirt before a game, or can you just put a guy in who has never played? Like we don't think Straus/Barkley are going to play this year, but if the everybody fouled out and/or got hurt and it was the difference between losing a winnable game with only four players on the floor or burning a redshirt, can Collins just decide to burn the shirt on the fly in the middle of a game? I assume he can, but I'm appealing to the experts here.

I know in basketball it's one game and you lose your redshirt (other than extenuating circumstances, usually related to injuries), but my question is to you have to officially declare that you're pulling someone's shirt before a game, or can you just put a guy in who has never played? Like we don't think Straus/Barkley are going to play this year, but if the everybody fouled out and/or got hurt and it was the difference between losing a winnable game with only four players on the floor or burning a redshirt, can Collins just decide to burn the shirt on the fly in the middle of a game? I assume he can, but I'm appealing to the experts here.
Yes.

You will recall Collins wanted to redshirt Derek Pardon but had to play him when Olah got hurt.

Reactions: IGNORE2
If you're redshirted, there's paperwork involved and you wouldn't dress for games. So I believe there needs to be a conversation ahead of time about the possibility.

I hate the rule that checking into a single game constitutes a season. My son's freshman year he was trying to play for a new coaching staff that didn't recruit him and brought in a bunch of players. The second game of the year, the assistant coach had him dress and told him to check in with a couple of seconds left. He walked back to the bench and declared himself a redshirt instead. Given what happened the rest of the season, this clearly was a malicious act by the assistant. He transferred, and preserving that year is very important for his prospects.

Two seconds.

If you're redshirted, there's paperwork involved and you wouldn't dress for games. So I believe there needs to be a conversation ahead of time about the possibility.
Is Blake Barkley dressing for games?

I agree there is probably a conversation before the season to discuss the pros/cons with the player, and no doubt the player must agree to it. But no one has redshirted until the season is over and it is confirmed that the player did not get in a game. Two seconds......

Reactions: IGNORE2
If they can help at all, burn the damn redshirt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT