ADVERTISEMENT

Question for folks at the game

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
How loud did the place get? Did you get a sense that come B1G time, this is going to be a major step up in terms of home court advantage?

I get it is nice, and it looks nice, but how does the design work I terms of making this a tougher venue to play for us? Are we gonna win more games because of it?

It has the polish and all the accoutrements of a professional arena. I know this sounds shallow and Evelyn Waugh would signal that someone was stupid by having them say "really", but it's "really, really" nice.

I think when it is full it will be as loud as that final Purdue game two years ago. But I think it will "feel" more intense. The second level over hang brings that upper level close to the court, replacing the infinite step back as seating went higher and higher. More seats on the endlines, it felt to me. They even have these tables with benches where you can sit and eat while watching the game.

So, pretty perfect and super finished.

But for the grand opening, NU filled half of one student section with the marching band....and then the other student section was three quarters filled with NU sports teams. And then the fat cat section was in the neighborhood of half empty. So, it was a sellout with may 60 percent occupancy.

It's a great venue to watch basketball. With respect, Loyola Cat, better lines than Gentile. I think high school teams are going to want to do tournaments there....I think it will draw basketball fans otherwise uninterested in NU. We felt like we were right on top of the action.

Good question, ECat.

I'm sure I will be in the minority about this, but I've been skeptical about the reality vs. the idea WR was built to provide an on-top--of-the-opponent home court advantage.

First of all, to be fair, I don't think we truly know the effects based on one exhibition game.

My very minimal disappointment is how comparatively far the first rows are from the court. If you look at the old WR or the other comparison, Cameron Indoor, the baseline first rows are within six feet of the court - aaaaall over the opponent or a ref.

At Cameron, steep rows are directly behind the benches and the extended scorers table.

WR 2.0 was built with a little more modern practicality. I can understand the wood floor was probably extended for practice reasons, but it takes away from the idea that fans will be on top of you.

If you weren't there Friday night, think about the distance between the court and the old purple seats. Well, now you have that all the way around the court. There's two rows of courtside seats around the south, east and west sides then a larger moat of space before the first row. For me, that takes away a lot of that on-top--of-you urgency that was a part of the original WR.

Also, as It's the Sauce said, the lower bowl seats are not as steep as the original WR - something else that takes away the on-top-of-you idea.

However, I'm interested to see the effects of those baseline upper levels and the corners as well. The sound from there could really make a difference on a big night.

Also there's a TON of standing room behind the student sections - great view!! It will be interesting to see how NU polices those areas.

But in the end, the building isn't the real problem. The average NU fan needs to let it go a little bit. They need a lesson from that guy who sat in the first row of the bleachers on the west end. I don't know his name and his health was declining over the last few years, but he was great, into-it fan.

Good question, ECat.

I'm sure I will be in the minority about this, but I've been skeptical about the reality vs. the idea WR was built to provide an on-top--of-the-opponent home court advantage.

First of all, to be fair, I don't think we truly know the effects based on one exhibition game.

My very minimal disappointment is how comparatively far the first rows are from the court. If you look at the old WR or the other comparison, Cameron Indoor, the baseline first rows are within six feet of the court - aaaaall over the opponent or a ref.

At Cameron, steep rows are directly behind the benches and the extended scorers table.

WR 2.0 was built with a little more modern practicality. I can understand the wood floor was probably extended for practice reasons, but it takes away from the idea that fans will be on top of you.

If you weren't there Friday night, think about the distance between the court and the old purple seats. Well, now you have that all the way around the court. There's two rows of courtside seats around the south, east and west sides then a larger moat of space before the first row. For me, that takes away a lot of that on-top--of-you urgency that was a part of the original WR.

Also, as It's the Sauce said, the lower bowl seats are not as steep as the original WR - something else that takes away the on-top-of-you idea.

However, I'm interested to see the effects of those baseline upper levels and the corners as well. The sound from there could really make a difference on a big night.

Also there's a TON of standing room behind the student sections - great view!! It will be interesting to see how NU polices those areas.

But in the end, the building isn't the real problem. The average NU fan needs to let it go a little bit. They need a lesson from that guy who sat in the first row of the bleachers on the west end. I don't know his name and his health was declining over the last few years, but he was great, into-it fan.
I guess you are right. the lower bowl was pushed back to accomadate baseline courtside. It pushes student sections back. The sideline sections are maybe 5-8 feet farther away from the court as WR 1.0.

I went to the upperbowl and sat there pregame and those seats have the fell that one is right over the court. A fan has to tilt his head down, and not just look down with his/her eyes. My view in 214 row 2 had the giant scoreboard right in front of me, which is freakn awesome, and a full view of the court. I'd guess that the upper baseline extends out towards the court at about the lower level aisle 5 or 6??

That said, it takes the students and cheerleaders out of the game and puts them behind the baseline courtside seats. The cheerleaders were restricted to standing behind he courtside seats as there is zero room for them to turn around and face the crowd and cheer the team on.

As far as how loud the place could get? It wasn't loud at all but it was only maybe 60% full and there was no reason for an intense and active crowd.
The only mistake that was made was when a kids group sat down and the adults told them to get loud, etc. and those kids screamed all game, in nuisance form though. A few fans from that secton (Northwest Section of the baseline) tried telling those kids to chill out but it didn't work. Other than the screamer NU gal student in the east side, these west side kids were more than a nuisance.

How loud did the place get? Did you get a sense that come B1G time, this is going to be a major step up in terms of home court advantage?

I get it is nice, and it looks nice, but how does the design work I terms of making this a tougher venue to play for us? Are we gonna win more games because of it?

FWIW, sitting in 205, despite maybe 50% total in seats and a lackluster opponent, the first dunk brought a load roar. In a real game of consequence I think it will be deafening, at least in the upper level.

Excellent analysis, Sec.112! The design doesn't quite achieve the level of intimacy I was hoping for. I had a feeling that would be the case and that's one of the reasons I choose to be in the first row of the balcony over being in the middle-upper rows of the corner in the lower level. I do look forward to checking out the views from the lower level at women's games this season.

The arena is still very nice and they did an excellent job with the rest of it. The spacious concourses with views of the court are outstanding. And I'm not sure it will get louder than the original WRA, but I do think it will get very load when we play meaningful games.

My only gripe from Section 220 is that the rows are still spaced as close together as in the original WR. This is brutal leg room for anyone over 60 years old, and over 6 feet tall. I try to compensate for this by sitting on my folded jacket, and will start bringing extra seat cushions in the future.

I attended games at McGaw, WRA I and now WRA II. My new seats are in the the 2nd level, mid court in the 3rd row. I will disagree with the naysayers on noise for the following reasons: 1) It looks like a metal ceiling which I think will cause noise to reverberate; 2) there is no concourse between the lower and upper level which removed an area of fans shouting at the court and were a great distance from the court.; 3) in the upper level, you are looking directly down on the court and shouting down directly to the court instead of toward the ceiling in the old place; 4) at the old arena, when I went from 2 to 8 seats, the only area with availability was the 2nd level. I picked seats there so that damn railing did not impede my view. I am now 40% closer. Even the farthest seat in the 2nd level is at least 25% closer; 5) the actual playing area and viewing box is smaller than the old arena; 6) at one time, I had seats in the 12th row in the first level. I went there Friday and they seemed closed than the prior rendition; and, 7) we have a better team which will make it loud as heck.

Last edited:
This all sounds great. Any chance they can put in a row or two of padded folding chairs on the floor where that extra space is? For VIPs?

The new design is intimate. The lower level has a more gentle slope and you really get a feel for how congested the court is with so many big men in a small area.
At 6'2'' my knees were crunched and I had to sit side ways but tolerable for 2 hours. From Row 7, you have to really look up to see the big screen.

The concourses are clean and comfortable with the area above the lower level on the westside devoted to concessions.

The letterman's reception was held in The Wilson Club . The sightlines are spectacular from that level. The area has a nice buffet line and adequate bar for the high rolling patrons. There are seats outside the reception area that will allow patrons to experience the "noise" of the arena but one can escape back inside if so desired

Overall, the new W-R is a small attractive venue with the best seats higher up on the first level. If it provides a "home court advantage" then it will have accomplished its purpose

The upper level seats are great

At 6'2'' my knees were crunched and I had to sit side ways but tolerable for 2 hours. From Row 7, you have to really look up to see the big screen.

Every once in awhile it's nice to be less than 6'2"!

Great to meet you this weekend, Doc!

Excellent analysis, Sec.112! The design doesn't quite achieve the level of intimacy I was hoping for. I had a feeling that would be the case and that's one of the reasons I choose to be in the first row of the balcony over being in the middle-upper rows of the corner in the lower level. I do look forward to checking out the views from the lower level at women's games this season.

The arena is still very nice and they did an excellent job with the rest of it. The spacious concourses with views of the court are outstanding. And I'm not sure it will get louder than the original WRA, but I do think it will get very load when we play meaningful games.
I'm also on team first-row-of-the-balcony, and I think the seats are gonna be great. I also think it has the chance to be louder than old WRA if people actually come and fill the seats. Not sure we'll truly get that experience until Big Ten season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT