ADVERTISEMENT

Rank 2019 Position Group strength

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
I’m not going to include QB in this

1. DL: Losing Thompson hurts, but unit is still stacked with Gaziano, Brown, Goens, and the Miller boys. Also top recruit in 2018 ORouke should play a factor.

2. LB: Bergin was productive in place of Hall last year and Fisher and Gallagher are two of the three best players on the defense IMO

3.Safety: Pace and Travis W played great at the end of last year and could take the next step in 2019.

4.WR/TE: Pretty solid group with Big Ben returning and look for big things from Cam Green and RCB next year as well. The two heralded 2019 recruits could be the X factor.

5. CB: This was a MASH unit last year and a lot of young guys got playing time which should benefit the group in 2019. Depth seems better than it was in years past, but who starts? I’d imagine an open competition headlined by Greg Newsome, Trae Williams, and Cam Ruiz.

6. OL: Only returning starters are 5th year senior Jared Thomas and Rashawn Slater whom has been Northwestern best Olineman the past two years. Would expect Gunner Vogel, Sam Gerak, and Nik Urban to be front runners for other three spots

Overall depth is good some areas and thin at others. To me the big X factor in 2019 is Hunter Johnson, and whether or not he has the ability to put a team on his back like Persa and Kafka.

I think I might go with our secondary above the DL. There is some projection here, but I feel very good about Newsome and Cam Ruiz, with vets like Williams, RoCamp (hopefully healthy and ready to bust out) and Bullock. I think Pace and Whillock are a fine tandem, and (hopefully) Hiller and (Old) McDonald are ready to contribute. This is a deep and talented group, IMO.

The DL is talented, but I have concerns about depth at DT, as I have said many times. 'Nuff said.

LBs are #3. Fisher and Blake are a fine duo, and we need others to step up. Nate Hall was really, really good.

WRs are #4. Huge talent injection on the way, but not clear how much of an impact they will have in 2019.

RBs are #5. Hopefully Brown is ready to spell Bowser, and Moten too.

I’m not going to include QB in this

1. DL: Losing Thompson hurts, but unit is still stacked with Gaziano, Brown, Goens, and the Miller boys. Also top recruit in 2018 ORouke should play a factor.

2. LB: Bergin was productive in place of Hall last year and Fisher and Gallagher are two of the three best players on the defense IMO

3.Safety: Pace and Travis W played great at the end of last year and could take the next step in 2019.

4.WR/TE: Pretty solid group with Big Ben returning and look for big things from Cam Green and RCB next year as well. The two heralded 2019 recruits could be the X factor.

5. CB: This was a MASH unit last year and a lot of young guys got playing time which should benefit the group in 2019. Depth seems better than it was in years past, but who starts? I’d imagine an open competition headlined by Greg Newsome, Trae Williams, and Cam Ruiz.

6. OL: Only returning starters are 5th year senior Jared Thomas and Rashawn Slater whom has been Northwestern best Olineman the past two years. Would expect Gunner Vogel, Sam Gerak, and Nik Urban to be front runners for other three spots

Overall depth is good some areas and thin at others. To me the big X factor in 2019 is Hunter Johnson, and whether or not he has the ability to put a team on his back like Persa and Kafka.
Why does Hunter have to put the team on his back? There is more talent now than the Persa/Kafka days.

If our OL is at least passable, we should have a reasonable shot at winning the West again.

Hunter Johnson certainly doesn't need to carry the team, but he could be the difference between a West title and a Big Ten title if he's got the ceiling we hope he has.

Why does Hunter have to put the team on his back? There is more talent now than the Persa/Kafka days.
I agree PPD. I'd believe that HJ has even better wrs to throw to than Zeke (he was a great wr for us, but I think he was like 5'8"??). We have as much talent as wr as we have ever had. I really look forward to seeing HJ spin it out to them next Fall. It should be really fun to be a fan.

I agree PPD. I'd believe that HJ has even better wrs to throw to than Zeke (he was a great wr for us, but I think he was like 5'8"??). We have as much talent as wr as we have ever had. I really look forward to seeing HJ spin it out to them next Fall. It should be really fun to be a fan.

Zeke was 5106 and a much better athlete than even many on this board want to give credit.

Five feet ten and a quarter. NFL draft goes by feet/inch digit 1/inch digit 2/eighths. So six foot one even would be 6010, six foot two and five eighths would be 6025, five eleven and a quarter 5112.

Sorry but why would 5106 be five feet ten and a quarter and not five feet ten and three quarters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT