ADVERTISEMENT

Rap will miss season due to injury.

Well...after the transfer situation didn't work out, he "did" want to be back on the team come fall. At that point, he'd missed all the offseason workouts and Collins had already written him off, which basically means he didn't want him back on the team. So, Collins holds a little responsibility there...but I do believe it's not in the best interest of the team to announce your going to transfer because your unhappy with your playing time, then try and come back just as school is starting up again because you didn't find the right fit you were looking for elsewhere. How many D1 coaches would be satisfied starting a precedence like that? None. Obviously, Collins wants his guys fully committed.

With Vassar sitting on the scholie, he's essentially hurting the chances of every player on the team who's goal is to make the NCAAs. This isn't just about Collins...
Easy solution. If your 13th man is so critical to the success of your program, put a uniform on Vasser and let him play. After all NU recruited him.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Easy solution. If your 13th man is so critical to the success of your program, put a uniform on Vasser and let him play. After all NU recruited him.

I understand the logic. But I guess NU could have recruited someone better than JV who would have played before Tap, Ash, Sanjay......

Right or wrong, VERY few D1 coaches would take back a kid who's already make it clear he doesn't want to be there. Team chemistry thing, maybe?

Right or wrong, VERY few D1 coaches would take back a kid who's already make it clear he doesn't want to be there. Team chemistry thing, maybe?
I'm sorry I just don't think wanting to transfer and then changing your mind is an irredeemable offense. If having that 13th scholarship player is so doggone critical to your success, suck it up and put the young man in uniform. If he's not that big a deal, which is what I suspect, then let it go and move on, which is what Collins has basically done.

I'm sorry I just don't think wanting to transfer and then changing your mind is an irredeemable offense.

But, as they say, sometimes the devil is in the details. I believe it's a little more than just "wanting to transfer and then changing your mind".

But, as they say, sometimes the devil is in the details. I believe it's a little more than just "wanting to transfer and then changing your mind".
So you're telling me Collins may have made an error in judgement in offering a scholarship to this young man? In these days of 4-year commitments, that's too bad. Well as noted above it will all be resolved by 2018.

So you're telling me Collins may have made an error in judgement in offering a scholarship to this young man? In these days of 4-year commitments, that's too bad. Well as noted above it will all be resolved by 2018.
In the meantime his former teammates will have to play a man short. What a guy!

In the meantime his former teammates will have to play a man short. What a guy!

And he doesn't get to play competitive basketball! If he cared about basketball, he would have found a good academic school among the mid-majors or DII schools and transferred. I'm not a fan of what JV has pulled at NU. I also get annoyed at those who give him kudos for JV selfishly taking advantage of the arrangement NU offers (which is ridiculous) at the expense of the team. It's taking a scholarship slot for nothing. If you don't like NU basketball or NU as a school, you forfeit the NU scholarship and transfer out!

Haven't read much of this thread, but I was told from someone close to the program that Rap was gonna have to really work to get on the floor for more than a few minutes a game and that this isn't a huge loss for this season. Obviously affects (effects? I'll never get that one right) depth, but not a huge hit at the same time

Haven't read much of this thread, but I was told from someone close to the program that Rap was gonna have to really work to get on the floor for more than a few minutes a game and that this isn't a huge loss for this season. Obviously affects (effects? I'll never get that one right) depth, but not a huge hit at the same time

Correct, affects.

And he doesn't get to play competitive basketball! If he cared about basketball, he would have found a good academic school among the mid-majors or DII schools and transferred. I'm not a fan of what JV has pulled at NU. I also get annoyed at those who give him kudos for JV selfishly taking advantage of the arrangement NU offers (which is ridiculous) at the expense of the team. It's taking a scholarship slot for nothing. If you don't like NU basketball or NU as a school, you forfeit the NU scholarship and transfer out!

Good points. Just as an outside observer, it would appear that JV does indeed like NU as a school, and basketball would appear be a non-priority. I think he wouldn't even be allowed to play intramural bball. Maybe he's enjoying playing flag football and coed soccer.

Good points. Just as an outside observer, it would appear that JV does indeed like NU as a school, and basketball would appear be a non-priority. I think he wouldn't even be allowed to play intramural bball. Maybe he's enjoying playing flag football and coed soccer.
He's using the system exactly the way it was set up to protect players with a four-year commitment from the school. Again, Collins recruited him, if he thinks he can contribute and his loss is such a huge impact on the team, play him. If not, move on. NU doesn't seem to be able to fill the two scholarships it has open for next year. So the assertion that JV is somehow damaging the program just doesn't ring true. I hope he graduates and gets a great education, and I hope Collins has better luck recruiting in the future.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Sec.112
He's using the system exactly the way it was set up to protect players with a four-year commitment from the school. Again, Collins recruited him, if he thinks he can contribute and his loss is such a huge impact on the team, play him. If not, move on. NU doesn't seem to be able to fill the two scholarships it has open for next year. So the assertion that JV is somehow damaging the program just doesn't ring true. I hope he graduates and gets a great education, and I hope Collins has better luck recruiting in the future.
Right he is "using the system" and obviously he is not interested in playing basketball but still keeps his basketball schlorship. Don't worry about Collins and recruiting, especially after we watched the previous 13 years before he arrived in Evanston. When and if he graduates, then he can work his "using the system" in the real world.

If you're using it as a verb, then use the "a". That's the rule I always use. I hope that's correct.

I find that for those grammar and spelling rules I have difficulty keeping track of it's effective to alternate the choices. And so I use compliment one half of the time, and complement the other, regardless of context. Effect and affect fall into that category for me as well. Along with umpteen other things.

I promised myself for decades that I would become proficient in the rules and, god knows, I try. But I'm just not meant to learn some very simple things. Like Willy with subject verb agreement.

So the assertion that JV is somehow damaging the program just doesn't ring true.

That's not exactly true either. We lost Kipper Nichols because JV sat on his scholie.

You also won't hear too many positive words about JV from his ex-teammates on the NU squad, so take that for whatever you think it's worth.

That's not exactly true either. We lost Kipper Nichols because JV sat on his scholie.

You also won't hear too many positive words about JV from his ex-teammates on the NU squad, so take that for whatever you think it's worth.
I've never seen Kipper Nichols quoted as saying he would come to Northwestern if offered, but maybe you have inside info to that effect. As to his teammates dissing him, that sounds like an issue Collins missed when recruiting the young man. Unfortunately with 4-year commitments you can pay the price for your recruiting mistakes.

I've never seen Kipper Nichols quoted as saying he would come to Northwestern if offered, but maybe you have inside info to that effect. As to his teammates dissing him, that sounds like an issue Collins missed when recruiting the young man. Unfortunately with 4-year commitments you can pay the price for your recruiting mistakes.

Yep. But it also doesn't make it any more noble to sit on after once trying to transfer...

Yep. But it also doesn't make it any more noble to sit on after once trying to transfer...
I don't think there is anything ignoble about using the scholarship to get an education. Again if Collins felt it was critical to have that 13th player he's free to put the young man in uniform.

Reactions: NJCat
I don't think there is anything ignoble about using the scholarship to get an education. Again if Collins felt it was critical to have that 13th player he's free to put the young man in uniform.

Would you put a kid on the team that doesn't want to be there, and may actually hurt team unity? Believe it or not, that can actually damage the team. The fact that Collins hasn't forceably (through some excuse) removed JV from his scholie (and don't think he couldn't have) says something about Collins' character.

And I believe it IS ignoble to get an education with a basketball scholarship and if you're not playing basketball.

Would you put a kid on the team that doesn't want to be there, and may actually hurt team unity? Believe it or not, that can actually damage the team. The fact that Collins hasn't forceably (through some excuse) removed JV from his scholie (and don't think he couldn't have) says something about Collins' character.

And I believe it IS ignoble to get an education with a basketball scholarship and if you're not playing basketball.
To each his own. Collins offered the scholarship and made the decision not to allow him back on the team, and not to try to remove his scholarship. So I can only conclude he's fine with the situation.

Let's focus on the current team. The writers from InsideNU are confused about comparing this year's team versus last year's team. This year's team is more athletic with the addition of Law, Benson and one more year of development of McIntosh, Falzon, Skelly and Lindsey. Olah was not there for most of the Big 10 season due to injury. His lack of mobility and lack of lateral quickness hurt the team on defense who had to rely more on zone defense and on Demps who was limited defensively and had problems guard bigger shooting guards like Rahkman of UM and Lyle of OSU. Those 4 losses to UM and OSU killed the 'cats. Why diid we lose close games versus those slightly above average teams? OSU and UM had athletic SGs and SFs who created turnovers and made offensive plays and led to easy baskets while NU had to work for everything they got out of their offensive sets. With the addition of Law defensively and hopefully, offensively and a year older and more mature, Lindsey, NU's perimeter defense should be better since they both have long arms and are athletic and should be able to create more turnovers and transition buckets from steals.

As for making conclusions about the 2017 recruiting being over, it is premature. We have a number of outstanding offers and I hope and believe, that 1 or 2 recruits will understand the positives of making history at NU which is one of the best if not the best combination of athletics and academics in the Big 10.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Let's focus on the current team. The writers from InsideNU are confused about comparing this year's team versus last year's team. This year's team is more athletic with the addition of Law, Benson and one more year of development of McIntosh, Falzon, Skelly and Lindsey. Olah was not there for most of the Big 10 season due to injury. His lack of mobility and lack of lateral quickness hurt the team on defense who had to rely more on zone defense and on Demps who was limited defensively and had problems guard bigger shooting guards like Rahkman of UM and Lyle of OSU. Those 4 losses to UM and OSU killed the 'cats. Why diid we lose close games versus those slightly above average teams? OSU and UM had athletic SGs and SFs who created turnovers and made offensive plays and led to easy baskets while NU had to work for everything they got out of their offensive sets. With the addition of Law defensively and hopefully, offensively and a year older and more mature, Lindsey, NU's perimeter defense should be better since they both have long arms and are athletic and should be able to create more turnovers and transition buckets from steals.

As for making conclusions about the 2017 recruiting being over, it is premature. We have a number of outstanding offers and I hope and believe, that 1 or 2 recruits will understand the positives of making history at NU which is one of the best if not the best combination of athletics and academics in the Big 10.
Don't we only have one scholly left?

I find that for those grammar and spelling rules I have difficulty keeping track of it's effective to alternate the choices. And so I use compliment one half of the time, and complement the other, regardless of context. Effect and affect fall into that category for me as well. Along with umpteen other things.

I promised myself for decades that I would become proficient in the rules and, god knows, I try. But I'm just not meant to learn some very simple things. Like Willy with subject verb agreement.

LOL. Glad I'm not your copy editor.

Fitzphile, there is some uncertainty about our 13th scholarship. The reports were plentiful during this offseason that we have 12 scholarship players for 2016 and we made offers to both 5th year graduate transfer Canyon Berry and Morgan Park Senior Charlie Moore when Josh Partner left the Memphis job to jump to the Georgia Tech job. So there is a distinct possibility and logical and reasonable inference that the NU administration and NU's basketball staff has figured out an option that a 13th scholarship is available to be used. So to say definitively that we have only one scholarship can not be said with absolute certainty.

Fitzphile, there is some uncertainty about our 13th scholarship. The reports were plentiful during this offseason that we have 12 scholarship players for 2016 and we made offers to both 5th year graduate transfer Canyon Berry and Morgan Park Senior Charlie Moore when Josh Partner left the Memphis job to jump to the Georgia Tech job. So there is a distinct possibility and logical and reasonable inference that the NU administration and NU's basketball staff has figured out an option that a 13th scholarship is available to be used. So to say definitively that we have only one scholarship can not be said with absolute certainty.

One possibility would have been for Sanjay not to return for 2016-17. Scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, not 5. Moot point now. And the question was about 2017, not 2016.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Collins loves Lumpkin and I do not think he would ever push him off the team. He has been a captain for the past two seasons. I do not see that as a likely scenario.

One possibility would have been for Sanjay not to return for 2016-17. Scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, not 5. Moot point now. And the question was about 2017, not 2016.

He does not understand. Let it go.

Sky is falling poster has reared his head. Where are those calls for all of the heads of the football coaches? Have you figured out that Western Michigan at 7-0 and UNL at 6-0 are all right at football? How about the sky is falling with the basketball recruiting still going with that premature prediction after getting a top 150 recruit in Gaines who was more highly rated out of high school than Brown who according to reports will be a solid contributor this season as backup PG. Yes, Brown will be the backup PG which is the simple answer to your endless confusion this offseason.

Fitzie, a more likely scenario if you believe that there is no option around giving a guy who is not connected with the basketball team a 13th scholarship is that Lumpkin could have paid for his fifth year. Indiana and many schools have tried that route. Lumpkin's stepdad was a 10 year player in the NBA who still announces for the Timberwolves (WNBA) so he might be able to spring for some graduate school classes at NU. Just an idea that makes a little more sense than pushing the baseless theory that Collins was going to push him off the roster if Barry or Moore committed to NU.

Fitzie, a more likely scenario if you believe that there is no option around giving a guy who is not connected with the basketball team a 13th scholarship is that Lumpkin could have paid for his fifth year. Indiana and many schools have tried that route. Lumpkin's stepdad was a 10 year player in the NBA who still announces for the Timberwolves (WNBA) so he might be able to spring for some graduate school classes at NU. Just an idea that makes a little more sense than pushing the baseless theory that Collins was going to push him off the roster if Barry or Moore committed to NU.

True. I hadn't considered that but it makes sense. One way or the other, the 13th scholarship in 2016-17 would have come from Mr. Lumpkin.

Sky is falling poster has reared his head. Where are those calls for all of the heads of the football coaches? Have you figured out that Western Michigan at 7-0 and UNL at 6-0 are all right at football? How about the sky is falling with the basketball recruiting still going with that premature prediction after getting a top 150 recruit in Gaines who was more highly rated out of high school than Brown who according to reports will be a solid contributor this season as backup PG. Yes, Brown will be the backup PG which is the simple answer to your endless confusion this offseason.

Still calling for a new OL and WR coach. Let's see how the season plays out. Look forward to our discussion in December. You were super quiet after the Nebraska game. Where did you go???

Gaines is a SG, Brown is a PG (though he acted more like a combo as he was the only scoring option on the team.) What is your point? I'm glad you got these super secret reports that Brown will be a major contributor. I guess that answers the backup PG question and hopefully will allow Mac to play reasonable minutes. Excuse me if I defer this discussion until the facts are in.

Gaines looks to be in line to take the 2 spot in a couple years. I suspect Law and Rap (at the 2/3) may limit Gaines' opportunities next year - but let's see how injuries play out and how Law bounces back this year and Rap next year. I like the signing. We still have a spot and it is now October. I know, you think two spots, even better...

As for the summer pursuits - Tap was also a possibility. With a history of injuries, it was not out of a logical flow that he may be done. Who knows what schollie they were playing with. But let's assume you are right, for once, at it was the Vassar schollie. Then it looks like we have two slots to fill and time is passing. I noticed we have extended a couple two star Glade specials. Great, if they are overlooked diamonds, not great if they are projects with warm bodies to fill spots. Again, time will deliver the answer here.

Hold tight Walker - soon enough, one of us will be proven right or wrong on many fronts. I am confident that neither will let the other forget. Until then, rant away...

I'm glad you got these super secret reports that Brown will be a major contributor.
There is nothing super secret about it. Collins said at his NU media day presser on Monday that he expects Brown to be the backup point guard and hopes he will be able to rest McIntosh more this season and didn't rule out the possibility of both being on the floor at the same time. Sure seems like the coach thinks he will be big contributor.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Still calling for a new OL and WR coach. Let's see how the season plays out. Look forward to our discussion in December. You were super quiet after the Nebraska game. Where did you go?

Same place you go after we win games...

As for the summer pursuits - Tap was also a possibility. With a history of injuries, it was not out of a logical flow that he may be done. Who knows what schollie they were playing with.

WTF? There are zero indications that he "may be done". Collins mentioned him in his presser yesterday. You actually have to have a medical certification to keep your scholarship as an injured retiree. There is no indication whatsoever that Tap wants to stop playing, and with the 4 year guaranteed scholarships unless he was truly unable to play due to injuries his scholarship wouldn't be available this season.

Most likely the extra scholarship this season was Sanjay, slim chance it was JV.

WTF? There are zero indications that he "may be done". Collins mentioned him in his presser yesterday. You actually have to have a medical certification to keep your scholarship as an injured retiree. There is no indication whatsoever that Tap wants to stop playing, and with the 4 year guaranteed scholarships unless he was truly unable to play due to injuries his scholarship wouldn't be available this season.

Most likely the extra scholarship this season was Sanjay, slim chance it was JV.
Think you are wrong. If Berry or Moore had accepted a ride to NU it would have been for this year. As 5th year graduate transfers they become immediately available. Must be something to that available extra schlorship because those offers were out there.

Think you are wrong. If Berry or Moore had accepted a ride to NU it would have been for this year. As 5th year graduate transfers they become immediately available. Must be something to that available extra schlorship because those offers were out there.

Wrong about what?? I said that if Barry came as a 5th year transfer this season he most likely would have gotten Sanjay's scholarship. But since he didn't come to NU it is a moot point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT