ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Braun vs. 51

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
I keep hearing grumblings from Wildcats Twitter/X that Fitz was a way better recruiter than Braun. That is simply spin.

I checked and Fitz had classes in the 50-55 range for the most part per Rivals (one of the last 6 years was 42, I believe). Braun’s 2025 class, his first full one, is currently 59. Is that really that much of a difference?

With our stringent academic restrictions I’m guessing, realistically, the high 30s/low 40s composite score is about as good as we can do. Not saying Braun will for sure get there but we’re not far off already…

Curious everyone’s thoughts.

Big recruiting year coming up.....AI picture of the new stadium with recruit scoring a TD or a sack...with Taylor Swift and notable NU grads in the stands.....Do we put Fitz in the crowd?

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Fitz had a pretty good-looking class on board when he got canned. Obviously, ratings mean little, but it was a good group on tape.

Braun gets a pass for last year, and to an extent, this year. But he's got to get better players. Let's give him a bit of credit for O'Brien at this point. We just need much more.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I keep hearing grumblings from Wildcats Twitter/X that Fitz was a way better recruiter than Braun. That is simply spin.

I checked and Fitz had classes in the 50-55 range for the most part per Rivals (one of the last 6 years was 42, I believe). Braun’s 2025 class, his first full one, is currently 59. Is that really that much of a difference?

With our stringent academic restrictions I’m guessing, realistically, the high 30s/low 40s composite score is about as good as we can do. Not saying Braun will for sure get there but we’re not far off already…

The difference in recruiting has been significant. Far better under Fitz. Braun has a long way to go.

You are kidding yourself. There is a sizable difference. Rivals rates by number in the class among other things. This class is at 18 and bigger than Fitz's last classes (they were 16) leading to a higher rating. But those were also final grades and this years is not, Reality is that our class is probably complete where a number of classes of teams below us are not and when they add guys they will jump us. (really think IA is done at 14 or IL who just beat Mich and is ranked, will stop at 15?) The even bigger issue is much less high end, difference making talent.

Reality is that this class is more a MAC level class where Fits classes were about mid level P4. And as other programs fill out their classes I would expect this years class rating to drop.

Last edited:
You are kidding yourself. There is a sizable difference. Rivals rates by number in the class among other things. This class is at 18 and bigger than Fitz's last classes (they were 16) leading to a higher rating. But those were also final grades and this years is not, Reality is that our class is probably complete where a number of classes of teams below us are not and when they add guys they will jump us. (really think IA is done at 14 or IL who just beat Mich and is ranked, will stop at 15? The even bigger issue is much less high end, difference making talent.

Reality is that this class is more a MAC level class where Fits classes were more P4. And as other programs fill out their classes I would expect this years class rating to drop.
I mean we’ll see but Fitz had plenty of MAC guys. Damn near every QB post-2014 that he got was a MAC guy.

Braun is facing a couple impediments that Fitzgerald didn't really have to deal with for the bulk of his tenure.
Michael Schill and NIL.

Not sure which hurts NU football more.

Fitzgerald's genuine affection for Northwestern had to be helpful when selling NU to players and parents. (Yes the parents matter)
Braun is really just a positive guy trying to make a career for himself who can't really distance himself from Schill.

Fitzgerald, because of his status, was able to credibly promise development and assistance (possibly even "protection") to the guys he brought into the NU football family. Braun can't make those same promises because everybody knows Schill threw the whole team under the bus in 2023. And if they don't know, other schools will make sure they do know.

Additionally, what Fitzgerald was selling has also been undercut by NIL, so Braun faces a significant disadvantage there.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

If you compare classes player to player, offer to offer, battle to battle, it's not even remotely close. Fitz was routinely competing with and beating all but the top of the Big Ten in battles for guys, and he was doing it without the performance center or upcoming new stadium.

This isn't some dig at Braun, our program has needed some rebuilding and it'll take time, but Fitz was an absolute A+ recruiter at Northwestern.

If you compare classes player to player, offer to offer, battle to battle, it's not even remotely close. Fitz was routinely competing with and beating all but the top of the Big Ten in battles for guys, and he was doing it without the performance center or upcoming new stadium.

This isn't some dig at Braun, our program has needed some rebuilding and it'll take time, but Fitz was an absolute A+ recruiter at Northwestern.
Recruiting was by far the biggest strength of Fitz and at NU, recruiting needs to be the strength of the staff. Most kids don’t grow up an NU fan or dream of playing at NU, coaches need to sell it. I hope Braun and company are able to do it.

Recruiting was by far the biggest strength of Fitz and at NU, recruiting needs to be the strength of the staff. Most kids don’t grow up an NU fan or dream of playing at NU, coaches need to sell it. I hope Braun and company are able to do it.
If you compare early Fitz to early Braun, it's less drastic, though Braun has some advantages Fitz didn't... but also some new disadvantages in NIL Fitz didn't have either.

I generally believe it Braun's ability to get guys excited to play for him, but we'll just have to see over the next couple of years. Last year's class wasn't really Braun's class and this year is just year one. Next year will be big coming off the nice year last year.

If you compare early Fitz to early Braun, it's less drastic, though Braun has some advantages Fitz didn't... but also some new disadvantages in NIL Fitz didn't have either.

I generally believe it Braun's ability to get guys excited to play for him, but we'll just have to see over the next couple of years. Last year's class wasn't really Braun's class and this year is just year one. Next year will be big coming off the nice year last year.

Last year's team was arguably motivated by the "Cats Against The World" more than anything. Braun deserves credit for harnessing that energy and resurrecting the defense.

Now the offense looks confused and the coaches often seem confused when we have the ball. The defense seems capable enough and reasonably coached.

Braun is facing a couple impediments that Fitzgerald didn't really have to deal with for the bulk of his tenure.
Michael Schill and NIL.

Not sure which hurts NU football more.

Fitzgerald's genuine affection for Northwestern had to be helpful when selling NU to players and parents. (Yes the parents matter)
Braun is really just a positive guy trying to make a career for himself who can't really distance himself from Schill.

Fitzgerald, because of his status, was able to credibly promise development and assistance (possibly even "protection") to the guys he brought into the NU football family. Braun can't make those same promises because everybody knows Schill threw the whole team under the bus in 2023. And if they don't know, other schools will make sure they do know.

Additionally, what Fitzgerald was selling has also been undercut by NIL, so Braun faces a significant disadvantage there.

The University President seldom comes up in recruiting.

Consistency was. We were a developmental program jut like is claimed today but then they were working with higher level guys to start with than Braun will have to work with

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT