ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Pasadena Bound

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
I assume that Collins and his staff are capitalizing on this magical season when it comes to recruiting. Have there been any updates on our progress? I know that there are many moving parts involved such as the status of returning seniors, the portal, the regular recruiting cycle, etc. But stating the obvious, we need to land some difference makers to keep this thing going for the next few years. Anyone have insights? Thanks and Go ‘Cats.

I assume its going to depend on how many guys decide to come back for a fifth year. I'm still hoping we get the core back for one more run, which also gives CCC one more year to crank up the recruiting without having as much pressure for immediate returns

Reactions: NUMBfan and drewjin
Most bigger schools are working on the 2024 and 2025 class. However, they have better stories to tell now.

I assume its going to depend on how many guys decide to come back for a fifth year. I'm still hoping we get the core back for one more run, which also gives CCC one more year to crank up the recruiting without having as much pressure for immediate returns
We need Buie. I'd be shocked if Beran came back. He's already in grad school.
Personal preference - Chase should pursue his next dream. He, too, graduated last June. The world awaits.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
With Gragg announcing that NU will be offering a contract extension to CCC in the near future this will also help to strengthen Coaches hand on the recruiting trail and transfer portal. The first question is who comes back. At least CCC will be working from a position of strength coming off a historic season, unlike last year when our A.D. Gragg cut the legs out from under CCC when he went public with basically an ultimatum.
Let's hope NU can take advantage and bolster the squad for next year and beyond and make the success this year a regular occurrence.

Maybe CCC was not as worried about things as other people and went and got his type of players again.

One is coming from the same AAU program as Boo. He needed a shooter and got one and a big to stretch the floor.

The new recruits had similar offers to the players in the team now.

Only difference in his recruiting was Nance and Young. Young had Maryland I believe and Nance had some big schools.

Maybe CCC was not as worried about things as other people and went and got his type of players again.

One is coming from the same AAU program as Boo. He needed a shooter and got one and a big to stretch the floor.

The new recruits had similar offers to the players in the team now.

Only difference in his recruiting was Nance and Young. Young had Maryland I believe and Nance had some big schools.

Not exactly short on big schools offering on previous players. But it's like the shorter the list, the better they are:

Kopp had Butler, TX A&M, Georgetown, GA Tech, Houston, KS State, Memhpis, Miami, Ole MS, Vandy, WA State

Beran had GA Tech, VA Tech, BC, KS State, Louisville, MD, MN, UNL, Pitt, Rutgers, TN, Wake Forest, WI, Xavier

Simmons had BC, Georgetown, Miami, PSU, Pitt, TX, Xavier

Roper had AL, DePaul, IL, IA, Missouri, OSU

Barnhizer had Xavier and Butler

Nicholson had Creighton

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Dudes recruited by CC prior to tourney appearance:

Law had Creighton, DePaul, FL State, GA Tech, IL, Providence, Vandy, VA Tech, WV, Xavier

Mcntosh had Auburn, Creighton, FL State, IA, Marquette, Purdue, WV, Xavier

Lindsey had IA, NV, Vandy

Rap had Creighton, IA, Purdue

Benson had DePaul, IL, IU, IA, IA State, KS State, UNL, OR State, PSU, Purdue, Vandy

Falzon had GA, BC, Marquette, NC State, PSU, Providence, Rutgers

Pardon had Pitt, Xavier

Gaines had Butler, Cincy, Providence

Vassar had IL, Brown had WA

But for last and this will make Wrassler cream his pants:

Jordan Ash had BC, DePaul, IA, Purdue - LEGEND

Work is slow today

Last edited:
Other recents:

Greer had DePaul

Jared Jones had Wake, Aubirn, Arkansas, Cincy, Clemson, FL, FL State, GA, LSU, MN, MS State, SC, TN, VA Tech

Berry had MN, CO, Creighton, IA, IA State, KS State, Missouri, UNL, OK State, Ole Miss

Hunger had BC, Miami, Ole Miss, Pitt

I assume that Collins had key recruits on campus for games at Welsh Ryan once things got exciting this season. We always seem to get reports of football recruits attending home games in the fall and I don't recall seeing similar announcements of hoops recruits attending our games. Maybe Collins likes to keep this activity under the radar for some reason. I just hope that we had a lot of recruits witness the excitement of Welsh Ryan firsthand, As we all know, the atmosphere at WR was off the charts and had to make a good impression on recruits in attendance.

Remember not all offers are real. Have to look behind the curtain to see who is in constant contact with the schools and who gets that one call and never hears from. The school again.

Appreciate the list,

We are sitting on empty schollie for next year as is

Reactions: drewjin
With Gragg announcing that NU will be offering a contract extension to CCC in the near future this will also help to strengthen Coaches hand on the recruiting trail and transfer portal. The first question is who comes back. At least CCC will be working from a position of strength coming off a historic season, unlike last year when our A.D. Gragg cut the legs out from under CCC when he went public with basically an ultimatum.
Let's hope NU can take advantage and bolster the squad for next year and beyond and make the success this year a regular occurrence.
I rather hope next year doesn’t mirror the year following our last dance.

Don't underestimate our core of youngsters. Matt, Brooks, Berry, Roper are not a bad group to sell recruits on the idea that we will not be a bottom feeder.
We likely need a couple of portal guys in the mean time. Pretty late for this years class. We are late to the party for this year and we have a lot of open positions

If the 3 seniors with a year of covid eligibility all come back I think we are at 12 scholarships for next year. I think 12 is the # or is it 12?.Verbal Commits shows no more openings for next year again if everyone comes back who can. There are 4 official offers out for the 24-25 year.

Classes of ‘24 and ‘25 are where CC will need to make an impact off this year’s NU success. Most kids in the current senior class are signed. I could see a coach being fired, said signees get let out of their LOI, and IF CC likes what he sees, then maybe. Close to home, wonder if any ND kids will seek a release with Brey’s departing?? There could be something there to see.

Reactions: Pasadena Bound
If the 3 seniors with a year of covid eligibility all come back I think we are at 12 scholarships for next year. I think 12 is the # or is it 12?.Verbal Commits shows no more openings for next year again if everyone comes back who can. There are 4 official offers out for the 24-25 year.
13 is the limit

You get 13 scholarships, I think.

We need Buie. I'd be shocked if Beran came back. He's already in grad school.
Personal preference - Chase should pursue his next dream. He, too, graduated last June. The world awaits.
We have the two biggest stages of the year coming up. I am just going to enjoy them and this season for now. Even if we lose in game 1 of both, this has been a magical season. This team will go down in NU basketball lore.

Running it back doesn’t always work out. The Cats post tourney team showed that. North Carolina is a recent iteration of the sequel being much worse than the original.

We have the two biggest stages of the year coming up. I am just going to enjoy them and this season for now. Even if we lose in game 1 of both, this has been a magical season. This team will go down in NU basketball lore.

Running it back doesn’t always work out. The Cats post tourney team showed that. North Carolina is a recent iteration of the sequel being much worse than the original.
I certainly doubt we're going to take many people by surprise next year... I feel like our early season benefited from a lack of respect from opponents

It's also the 2nd team in 2 years everyone overrated because of an unexpected long run in the tourney. The previous year it was UCLA. Though they did not crash as badly as NC

We likely need a couple of portal guys in the mean time. Pretty late for this years class. We are late to the party for this year and we have a lot of open positions

We’re not late to the party for this year. We have three incoming committed freshman recruits. We’ll have room to add via the transfer portal depending on who decides to leave/return.

Reactions: NUMBfan
I assume that Collins had key recruits on campus for games at Welsh Ryan once things got exciting this season. We always seem to get reports of football recruits attending home games in the fall and I don't recall seeing similar announcements of hoops recruits attending our games. Maybe Collins likes to keep this activity under the radar for some reason. I just hope that we had a lot of recruits witness the excitement of Welsh Ryan firsthand, As we all know, the atmosphere at WR was off the charts and had to make a good impression on recruits in attendance.

2024 PG offer Josh Pickett was on campus for the Purdue game.

We’re not late to the party for this year. We have three incoming committed freshman recruits. We’ll have room to add via the transfer portal depending on who decides to leave/return.
For this year, I am talking class of 23. And that is pretty much done so our performance this year cannot really make any impact. And it was recruited with the uncertanty that surrounded the program coming into the season. While the guys may be good, they did not have a lot of top offers. If guys don't come back, the only real alternative for this coming (23/24) year is the portal

No one is saying we are late to the party for 24 class but I consider that to be next years class and not this years as they will not be on campus for 1.5 years. But it is pretty late to help with this years (class of 23) class

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
For this year, I am talking class of 23. And that is pretty much done so our performance this year cannot really make any impact. And it was recruited with the uncertanty that surrounded the program coming into the season. While the guys may be good, they did not have a lot of top offers. If guys don't come back, the only real alternative for this coming (23/24) year is the portal

No one is saying we are late to the party for 24 class but I consider that to be next years class and not this years as they will not be on campus for 1.5 years. But it is pretty late to help with this years (class of 23) class

The point remains the 2023 class was completed months ago. Not sure how you can say we were late to the party. We will have plenty of opportunity to bring in transfers to help next season. The 2024 class should be solid for NU. I think we’ll land Pickett. Hopefully Certa as well.

The point remains the 2023 class was completed months ago. Not sure how you can say we were late to the party. We will have plenty of opportunity to bring in transfers to help next season. The 2024 class should be solid for NU. I think we’ll land Pickett. Hopefully Certa as well.
I said that this years performance was too late to help this year's recruiting class. We have three guys in this class and while they hopefully are good players for us, they are not really highly rated with few power offers. They were recruited without the benefit of this years performance. This years is class of 23. With the defections of Nance and Young we were down to about 10 scholarships with Dixon being one of them. Even with everyone coming back, we would still be down 2 (Verhoven and Dixon leaving) and if anyone (Buie, Audige, Behran) decides to move on, a lot of spots to fill and only the portal to fill them. That was my point

Class of 24 is a different story and our performance should help a lot. Again a number of spots to fill depending on what happens this year.

I wonder if NU has looked at this guy at all. Seems a Nicholson successor, and we’ve learned that a big dude in the post is a game-changer. Skinny. (Listed 190, Nicholson was listed 215.)

Holds a Stanford offer.

Rivals 141, Dennys 87, Dennys composite 143

Reactions: Eurocat
We were only 3-3 in the first six BT games. We were 9-5 after that, Hard to say we snuck up on people
Fair observation, I guess that 3 game losing streak just made it seem like we'd lost some magic we had in the early season. I guess in reality that magic was in the midseason, though the MSU game in particular, I wonder if they came out flat because they just didn't respect us

My statement that you challenged was that it would not really help for this years class (class of 23). And your statement that the class was basically done before the start of the season does nothing other than to reinforce the validity of my statement. It cannot help this years class. It might help with the portal (which I indicated was where we had to go for help ) but it is too late to help much if at all with this years class.

It absolutely should help with recruiting going forward. Class of 24 (which will not set foot on campus for another 1.5 years and therefore cannot help with next season) is next years class and it should help immensely. And it should help in 25 and hopefully beyond as well Not just because the performance stimulates interest but just as importantly because it removes the uncertainty that was swirling around the program. But the statement stands that it occurred to late to make any significant impact on this years class

Last edited:
Dudes recruited by CC prior to tourney appearance:

Law had Creighton, DePaul, FL State, GA Tech, IL, Providence, Vandy, VA Tech, WV, Xavier

Mcntosh had Auburn, Creighton, FL State, IA, Marquette, Purdue, WV, Xavier

Lindsey had IA, NV, Vandy

Rap had Creighton, IA, Purdue

Benson had DePaul, IL, IU, IA, IA State, KS State, UNL, OR State, PSU, Purdue, Vandy

Falzon had GA, BC, Marquette, NC State, PSU, Providence, Rutgers

Pardon had Pitt, Xavier

Gaines had Butler, Cincy, Providence

Vassar had IL, Brown had WA

But for last and this will make Wrassler cream his pants:

Jordan Ash had BC, DePaul, IA, Purdue - LEGEND

Work is slow today
Very?

I don't follow this at all. Is he expected to go G League or some other

Good article in the Athletic. He’s very good; but not in the superstar category. Lots of attention for whichever program lands him. Looking at UCLA, USC, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and Memphis.

“Bronny has choices. He is a top 100 recruit. Undeniably talented. He could elect to join G League Ignite, the NBA’s minor league team, or Overtime Elite, an unaffiliated facsimile. He could play professionally overseas. He could elect to train for a year and then declare for the 2024 NBA Draft, the first for which he would be eligible. But playing at least one year in college is a real possibility.”

G League doesn't make a lot of sense. His family doesn't need the money, and I would think the quality of life would be much better on a college campus than busing around a bunch of small towns in the G League. Overseas might make sense if he's a curious type who wants to see the world.

G League doesn't make a lot of sense. His family doesn't need the money, and I would think the quality of life would be much better on a college campus than busing around a bunch of small towns in the G League. Overseas might make sense if he's a curious type who wants to see the world.
Your level of competition is higher in the G-League than in college hoops. G League Ignite has had two first-round picks each of the past two seasons.

The interesting thing is that Bronny had lots of hype when he was young, then had some backlash, and now has re-grown in stature.

LeBron has talked about wanting to play with him, and is now signed through ‘25. I wonder if Bronny would play two years before entering the draft, and then LBJ could go follow for Bronny’s rookie year.

Also, I’d like NU to find a big guy in the spring period. I prefer high school recruits to transfers.

Big AAU and sneaker circuit tournaments start in March and runs through the summer.

NU has a much better resume this summer. Should be easier to attract some of the smarter kids that might choose other schools because NU is not competitive.

Seeing what MN and Martelli have been able to do might attract some bigger athletic forwards

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT