ADVERTISEMENT

recruits

heet75

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2001
I watch all the games, I don't much follow recruiting etc. I remember ...I think it was after our 1st NCAA bid that we landed a top 10 recruiting class...did all that change?...which players are we talking about?...I have not seen what I expected...

I watch all the games, I don't much follow recruiting etc. I remember ...I think it was after our 1st NCAA bid that we landed a top 10 recruiting class...did all that change?...which players are we talking about?...I have not seen what I expected...

Your memory is not correct. We have never landed a top 10 recruiting class.

The recruiting class immediately following the NCAA Tournament appearance consisted of one commit: three-star guard Anthony Gaines. As a sophomore, he's the first guy off the bench and pretty good--especially on defense, on the glass and pushing tempo.

The next class (our current freshman class) is ranked #34 in the country per 247sports. (That's after we dropped 4-star recruit Jordan Lathon and picked up 3-star guard Ryan Greer in his place.) The stars of that recruiting class were 4-star wing Miller Kopp, who has started every game this season and is coming along nicely, and 4-star forward Pete Nance, who looks like he is going to be quite good as he matures. There is also three-star guard Greer, who is currently near the bottom of our rotation, and three-star center Ryan Young, who is redshirting. Definitely a solid class, but not one to make waves in its first season of college basketball.

Last edited:
You wonder if CC has developed the football philosophy that I see as " we are just not going to get the tip-topper for a variety of reasons,,so lets get the top guys that we know we can develop into great players" I know this is changing a little bit as the football team continues to grow the number of players that play early in their career. I am also guessing that when you use the 4 year degree as a recruiting tool it kind of rules out recruiting the one and done bunch.Or if it takes more than one NCAA appearance to rid yourself as a "not a basketball school". Wondering if we could have gone back to back to the dance if that would have lit the kindling.

You wonder if CC has developed the football philosophy that I see as " we are just not going to get the tip-topper for a variety of reasons,,so lets get the top guys that we know we can develop into great players" I know this is changing a little bit as the football team continues to grow the number of players that play early in their career. I am also guessing that when you use the 4 year degree as a recruiting tool it kind of rules out recruiting the one and done bunch.Or if it takes more than one NCAA appearance to rid yourself as a "not a basketball school". Wondering if we could have gone back to back to the dance if that would have lit the kindling.

NU's biggest problem with recruiting has been facilities. Day to day and gameday. Both will be resolved by this spring. Yes, the failure of the team to return to the dance was an issue. While I think this years team is very good, the schedule is just a beast but who knows. Let's see what happens tonight.

As for recruiting, Collins is still shooting for the stars:

For 7 reported offers in 2019, lowest offer is No. 110 (local propect DJ Steward). Remaining 6 are in Top 65 - highest is 25, guard from Morgan Park.

For 2020, NU has three reported offers. Players ranked 1, 22 and 31. All have visited, two have visited multiple times and have parents who were varsity athletes at NU.

NU's biggest problem with recruiting has been facilities. Day to day and gameday. Both will be resolved by this spring. Yes, the failure of the team to return to the dance was an issue. While I think this years team is very good, the schedule is just a beast but who knows. Let's see what happens tonight.

As for recruiting, Collins is still shooting for the stars:

For 7 reported offers in 2019, lowest offer is No. 110 (local propect DJ Steward). Remaining 6 are in Top 65 - highest is 25, guard from Morgan Park.

For 2020, NU has three reported offers. Players ranked 1, 22 and 31. All have visited, two have visited multiple times and have parents who were varsity athletes at NU.
Generally isn't it the 2 years following a major accomplishment that it has the biggest impact on recruiting? That would be this years Frosh class and next years. Last year might hurt that a little but I would expect a solid class this year.

It would be nice to get to the dance again this year but the BIG is brutal. Heard the thought that there will be 8 BIG teams in the dance and NU was not among them. Something like 7 teams ranked

Generally isn't it the 2 years following a major accomplishment that it has the biggest impact on recruiting? That would be this years Frosh class and next years. Last year might hurt that a little but I would expect a solid class this year.

It would be nice to get to the dance again this year but the BIG is brutal. Heard the thought that there will be 8 BIG teams in the dance and NU was not among them. Something like 7 teams ranked

Lunardi on ESPN projected 10 teams to the dance. I believe there are 10-11 amongst the top 35 in the country per latest AP rankings. That probably won't last during the big ten schedule, but I suspect 8 teams at least will go from the big ten, which means a .500 in conference record would give us a great shot--particularly if we beat Oklahoma as well. But we're in an 0-2 hole which is much tougher than 1-1 if we had pulled a win out vs Indy or UM. Uphill battle but the team definitely has tourney talent--but it takes some luck as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT