ADVERTISEMENT

Rhode Island Thoughts

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
RI is not a good team. Their offensive is highly disorganized, resulting in poor shot selection and a high number of turnovers. This plays directly into NU's defensive strengths. RI's defensive performance was not exceptional either. However, they do have a few skilled shooters among their ranks which lets them get on some nice scoring runs.

Buie just keeps doing Buie things. He flashed some energy and effectiveness on the defensive end, acquiring several impressive steals. He possesses a knack for drawing fouls and frequently finds himself at the free-throw line.

Langborg was quiet for a long time. Despite not scoring, he consistently delivers plus plays. It would be beneficial if he focused more on drawing fouls when his shooting is off.

Preston had some good boards. Additionally, he showcased a delicate touch around the basket. However, the lazy pass was a source of frustration that led to some more sloppy play. All in all, he performed well in today's game.

Barnhizer continues to demonstrate his defensive value. It is good to his 3-point shots finding the mark. He has the potential to be a very good catch-and-shoot player. I say this every game, but he truly presents a mismatch for opponents due to his quickness, strength, and exquisite footwork. Furthermore, he consistently contributes with numerous small plays that accumulate over the course of a game.

Nicholson delivered some nice passes to Berry. Although not known for scoring, he greatly benefits this offense by setting screens and creating opportunities for slashing guards. He even collected more than one rebound this game!

Martinelli's left-handed touch is quite impressive. He has a knack for offensive rebounds and has significantly improved his defensive positioning. However, he still needs to refine his footwork and enhance his speed on defense to become a formidable defender.

Berry had some promising scoring opportunities. It was satisfying to witness him convert some shots. Moreover, his defense was much improved compared to the previous game. He also managed to secure some steals and displayed a strong presence on the boards. Although he can be inconsistent at times.

Clayton certainly possesses the potential to become a solid player for the team.
His jump shot is smooth and he shows promise defensively, especially considering he is only a freshman.

I truly hope Mullins can bring all his skills together. He undeniably possesses immense potential, but frequently finds himself involved in poor plays. He is undoubtedly an athletic player, but he needs to make smarter decisions on the court. By tidying up his game and taking better care of the ball, he can earn more playing time and showcase his abilities.

There was a significant increase in energy compared to the entire WMU game. The team made significant improvements in their effort levels, resulting in fewer basic mistakes. Considering the depth of the guard position in this team, it would be nice to have shorter leash over the 1-3 positions when playing against weaker opponents. With consistent scoring contributions from Buie and Barnhizer, along with the impressive performance of either Berry or Langborg, this team has promising offensive potential. Additionally, Martinelli's delicate touch and scoring ability off the bench contribute to the team's offensive potential. Throughout Collins' tenure, they have consistently executed well-designed out-of-bounds plays, and this trend continues. It’s good to keep winning. Onto the next one.

Last edited:
RI is not a good team. Their offensive is highly disorganized, resulting in poor shot selection and a high number of turnovers. This plays directly into NU's defensive strengths. RI's defensive performance was not exceptional either. However, they do have a few skilled shooters among their ranks which lets them get on some nice scoring runs.

Buie just keeps doing Buie things. He flashed some energy and effectiveness on the defensive end, acquiring several impressive steals. He possesses a knack for drawing fouls and frequently finds himself at the free-throw line.

Langborg was quiet for a long time. Despite not scoring, he consistently delivers plus plays. It would be beneficial if he focused more on drawing fouls when his shooting is off.

Preston had some good boards. Additionally, he showcased a delicate touch around the basket. However, the lazy pass was a source of frustration that led to some more sloppy play. All in all, he performed well in today's game.

Barnhizer continues to demonstrate his defensive value. It is good to his 3-point shots finding the mark. He has the potential to be a very good catch-and-shoot player. I say this every game, but he truly presents a mismatch for opponents due to his quickness, strength, and exquisite footwork. Furthermore, he consistently contributes with numerous small plays that accumulate over the course of a game.

Nicholson delivered some nice passes to Berry. Although not known for scoring, he greatly benefits this offense by setting screens and creating opportunities for slashing guards. He even collected more than one rebound this game!

Martinelli's left-handed touch is quite impressive. He has a knack for offensive rebounds and has significantly improved his defensive positioning. However, he still needs to refine his footwork and enhance his speed on defense to become a formidable defender.

Berry had some promising scoring opportunities. It was satisfying to witness him convert some shots. Moreover, his defense was much improved compared to the previous game. He also managed to secure some steals and displayed a strong presence on the boards. Although he can be inconsistent at times.

Clayton certainly possesses the potential to become a solid player for the team.
His jump shot is smooth and he shows promise defensively, especially considering he is only a freshman.

I truly hope Mullins can bring all his skills together. He undeniably possesses immense potential, but frequently finds himself involved in poor plays. He is undoubtedly an athletic player, but he needs to make smarter decisions on the court. By tidying up his game and taking better care of the ball, he can earn more playing time and showcase his abilities.

There was a significant increase in energy compared to the entire WMU game. The team made significant improvements in their effort levels, resulting in fewer basic mistakes. Considering the depth of the guard position in this team, it would be nice to have shorter leash over the 1-3 positions when playing against weaker opponents. With consistent scoring contributions from Buie and Barnhizer, along with the impressive performance of either Berry or Langborg, this team has promising offensive potential. Additionally, Martinelli's delicate touch and scoring ability off the bench contribute to the team's offensive potential. Throughout Collins' tenure, they have consistently executed well-designed out-of-bounds plays, and this trend continues. It’s good to keep winning. Onto the next one.
Good stuff. A few extra thoughts from Uncasville:

RI is a bunch of all new guys, a few of which have some real talent. All were very athletic. Give them some more time together and I think they’ll move out of the bad category.

Preston was very good today. One unexpectedly great offensive move and numerous put backs and good passes (save a few).

Mullins was pulled very quickly after a foul and a turnover pass attempt. He’s going to need some time, it appears.

Our out of bounds plays were great; URI’s were non-existent.

Good stuff. A few extra thoughts from Uncasville:

RI is a bunch of all new guys, a few of which have some real talent. All were very athletic. Give them some more time together and I think they’ll move out of the bad category.

Preston was very good today. One unexpectedly great offensive move and numerous put backs and good passes (save a few).

Mullins was pulled very quickly after a foul and a turnover pass attempt. He’s going to need some time, it appears.

Our out of bounds plays were great; URI’s were non-existent.

How do you like our chances against Mississippi State??

How do you like our chances against Mississippi State??
They are even bigger and more athletic, of course. Lots of great guard play. They are 4-0 now like us. It will be a big challenge, but, of course, I think our coaching will give us an advantage and our players will respond and compete well. We really have some good depth at each position, even if we don’t have a classic power forward. Unfortunately, I cannot make it in person again, but will be watching when I can. Go Cats!

They are even bigger and more athletic, of course. Lots of great guard play. They are 4-0 now like us. It will be a big challenge, but, of course, I think our coaching will give us an advantage and our players will respond and compete well. We really have some good depth at each position, even if we don’t have a classic power forward. Unfortunately, I cannot make it in person again, but will be watching when I can. Go Cats!
CCC will single handedly will us to victory!

I note zero assists for Boo. Wonder if this changes in the official box score. But seems like Boo is not serving the play maker role on O of a traditional PG. For those that have watched the games, I would be interested to hear thoughts? In light of MN and Preston assist totals, is it simply the O running through the big guys?

URi runs high low offensive set and NU did a good job taking them out of their comfort zone.

Also slowed down the fast break that URI likes to run.

They should get open shots against Mississippi St. Have to take advantage. Gang rebounding will be important to win this one.

RI is not a good team. Their offensive is highly disorganized, resulting in poor shot selection and a high number of turnovers. This plays directly into NU's defensive strengths.

Archie Miller! One of the wonderful things about college basketball is how much teams take on the personalities of their coaches …

I note zero assists for Boo. Wonder if this changes in the official box score. But seems like Boo is not serving the play maker role on O of a traditional PG. For those that have watched the games, I would be interested to hear thoughts? In light of MN and Preston assist totals, is it simply the O running through the big guys?
It's early but it doesn't seem like Boo trusts MN yet to be dishing to him like he did last year... and hasn't developed a chemistry with Langborg like he had with Audige (for obvious reasons). MN is wayyy off the pace from last year which is concerning becacuse I am one of those who thought he was going to take a big step this year.

• Sad
Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
It's early but it doesn't seem like Boo trusts MN yet to be dishing to him like he did last year... and hasn't developed a chemistry with Langborg like he had with Audige (for obvious reasons). MN is wayyy off the pace from last year which is concerning becacuse I am one of those who thought he was going to take a big step this year.

Big Matt must have spent too much time reading about his +/- during the off-season.

Here is a fun fact for the weekend,

Cam Estevez and Josh Hubbard both had their career highs against NU. Both came off the bench and both are freshmen.

Scouting issue?

Reactions: PurpWildCatNation
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT