ADVERTISEMENT

RIP General

An interesting, complex but always entertaining Coach. RIP Bobby Knight, sorry about the hollaring at you during games!
Nah, he was a jerk. RIP though:

“Indiana University basketball Coach Bob Knight, who told NBC’s Connie Chung, “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” has said his remarks were misinterpreted.

Knight, in an interview televised Monday night, added: “That’s just an old term that you’re going to use. The plane’s down, so you have no control over it. I’m not talking about the act of rape. Don’t misinterpret me. But what I’m talking about is something happens to you, so you have to handle it--now.”

In a subsequent interview with the Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Telephone, Knight said: “Anybody who knows me would be quick to say I would be one of the last person to adopt a careless attitude about rape . . . or any form of crime.

“The word rape can be used in several ways. One is in something that has gone out of control or over which you have no control. It obviously was in that context that I was using the word, as I explained in the interview.”

University President Thomas Ehrlich said that he deplored Knight’s reference to rape in the interview with Chung.

Two law students at the Bloomington campus, Susan Thomas and Sara D. Mowell, said they were planning a “Give Back the Knight” march Sunday to protest the coach’s remarks.

Bernie Sanders GIF

Nah, he was a jerk. RIP though:

“Indiana University basketball Coach Bob Knight, who told NBC’s Connie Chung, “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” has said his remarks were misinterpreted.

Knight, in an interview televised Monday night, added: “That’s just an old term that you’re going to use. The plane’s down, so you have no control over it. I’m not talking about the act of rape. Don’t misinterpret me. But what I’m talking about is something happens to you, so you have to handle it--now.”

In a subsequent interview with the Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Telephone, Knight said: “Anybody who knows me would be quick to say I would be one of the last person to adopt a careless attitude about rape . . . or any form of crime.

“The word rape can be used in several ways. One is in something that has gone out of control or over which you have no control. It obviously was in that context that I was using the word, as I explained in the interview.”

University President Thomas Ehrlich said that he deplored Knight’s reference to rape in the interview with Chung.

Two law students at the Bloomington campus, Susan Thomas and Sara D. Mowell, said they were planning a “Give Back the Knight” march Sunday to protest the coach’s remarks.

Bernie Sanders GIF

Geez, this was 35 years ago. Relax.

Reactions: No Chores
People often leave complicated legacies. You can only hope he atoned with anyone he hurt, was at peace with those he loved, and had few regrets at the end of it all.

He wasted 20 years being mad at IU, including 12 during which he was retired. He was greeted as a hero upon his return.

Holding grudges is a waste of time.

I swear he said “who’s your daddy now, motherf**kers” as overtime wound down.

That was a super fun game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hkjb
People often leave complicated legacies. You can only hope he atoned with anyone he hurt, was at peace with those he loved, and had few regrets at the end of it all.
I think you’re right on the last point, at least:

Knight told the crowd at Indiana’s Assembly Hall before a game that “when my time on earth is gone, and my activities are passed, I want [them to] bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass.”

I few up in Indiana in a family of IU fans, cheering for the hoosiers. He was an effective coach, yes. A hardass disciplinarian. I never liked or admired him.

Still,

a) He knew defense. Particularly man to man.
b) He imposed a hard work ethic and if players didn't have it, he ran them off or put them in the doghouse

Playing middle school basketball in Indiana, we had a workbook based on his defensive teachings - complete with schematics, explanations and written tests. We watched old school film, and our coaches drilled hard on little things like where we put our eyes, opening to the ball, etc. A lot of it is just geometry.

I'm old, slow, not tall -I can't score. But to this day I can shut down most 20 somethings in a pickup game just on the basic knowledge I gained on how to defend.

I think you’re right on the last point, at least:

Knight told the crowd at Indiana’s Assembly Hall before a game that “when my time on earth is gone, and my activities are passed, I want [them to] bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass.”

The crowd seemed to approve of his little poem.

Reactions: No Chores
He wasted 20 years being mad at IU, including 12 during which he was actively coaching. He was greeted as a hero upon his return.

Holding grudges is a waste of time.

I swear he said “who’s your daddy now, motherf**kers” as overtime wound down.

That was a super fun game.

I remember chanting 'who's your daddy' at him the next year when we beat them.

Love him or hate him (and many many hated him), he left a mark on the sports world that can't be denied.

My favorite Knight story - in Blue Chips, which was a ridiculous but entertaining movie, the fictional team was playing against Knight and the Hoosiers. Supposedly he was complaining during the filming about the officiating and the like. I suppose you could say he was acting as a technical consultant, but I prefer to think that he was so competitive (and such a jerk), that he couldn't let Nick Nolte and the refs get anything over him, even if the game was scripted.

Also: Season on the Brink is a great book.

Reactions: Cataria
Abhorrent human being. At least he was really into fundamentals. That's something I guess.

I'll throw a chair in his memory.
I won’t call the man an abhorrent human being. There are many instances where Knight was generous and extraordinarily helpful for former players and associates that we’re experiencing tough times. Most of these were never publicized. Greenie on ESPN did a great segment on Knight.

It is fair to say Knight made his fair share of mistakes and he could take petty to a new level. I won’t defend those Mis-steps as they were in many cases inexcusable. However, there are often two sides to people and hopefully people passing public judgements of someone’s character have actually met the man while he was living. Not directing this to you Gato or anyone else posting an opinion on here, but some critics writing published articles this week never were around the man when he was alive. Doesn’t feel right to highlight a man’s faults when glossing over any good that they did. When I think of abhorrent, I think is mass shooters, terrorists and l world leaders that promote self interests over the people they are supposed to lead.
A great article on his complicated legacy.

Sounds like he had a problem with his father.

I won’t call the man an abhorrent human being. There are many instances where Knight was generous and extraordinarily helpful for former players and associates that we’re experiencing tough times. Most of these were never publicized. Greenie on ESPN did a great segment on Knight.

It is fair to say Knight made his fair share of mistakes and he could take petty to a new level. I won’t defend those Mis-steps as they were in many cases inexcusable. However, there are often two sides to people and hopefully people passing public judgements of someone’s character have actually met the man while he was living. Not directing this to you Gato or anyone else posting an opinion on here, but some critics writing published articles this week never were around the man when he was alive. Doesn’t feel right to highlight a man’s faults when glossing over any good that they did. When I think of abhorrent, I think is mass shooters, terrorists and l world leaders that promote self interests over the people they are supposed to lead.

my fingers are refusing to type this... must push through...

Purple Pile Driver is right. Gato Louco is wrong.

There, it is finished.

I'm going to need Coral and Gordie to notarize.

Call it abhorrent or something else... don't find it interesting discussing the semantics of levels of intensity of words to represent the fact I found him, first and foremost, a gigantic a-hole. I'll gladly agree that abhorrent is not a good word if that helps.

I don't deny he had positives. Human beings are not just good or bad. For sure. But clearly for me the bad outweighed the good. For others it did not. Fine, it is one's personal perceptions and how sensitive we are towards the issues at stake. We would not argue excusing killing a person with a "but he donated to local charities", we would all consider it awful. But this is more of a gray area.

Reactions: drewjin
my fingers are refusing to type this... must push through...

Purple Pile Driver is right. Gato Louco is wrong.

There, it is finished.

I'm going to need Coral and Gordie to notarize.
Holy cow, the planet may stop spinning on its axis’s! Cappy you must delete this before the hoops discussions on Ryan Young’s defense are brought back into play.

Jerk would be an understatement and how exactly are you turning young men into leaders, etc. by verbally (if not physically) attacking them?

And as stated, nothing but a big hypocrite - attacking players who transferred (gee, like they didn't have a good reason?) as quitters when he quit on TTech during the middle of the season (so that his son would get the job).

Jerk would be an understatement and how exactly are you turning young men into leaders, etc. by verbally (if not physically) attacking them?

And as stated, nothing but a big hypocrite - attacking players who transferred (gee, like they didn't have a good reason?) as quitters when he quit on TTech during the middle of the season (so that his son would get the job).
General George Patton was supposedly a prima donna and a jerk who marched to his own drum, but drove his men to their limits and won great battles. He was a leader, a brilliant tactician who took risks. Soldiers died under his command as a consequence. Most of his men loved or respected him and were proud to have served under his command. And yet he slapped a soldier suffering from a nervous breakdown for being a coward and occupying a bed in a crowded field hospital alongside gravely injured soldiers. Because it pissed him off.

Sometimes a leader who challenges his men to give everything will bring out the best in them.

It doesn't happen much anymore. Different, softer times.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Reasonable., There are many sided to most people. Great basketball coach that had his flaws. Did a lot of good but often judged for some of his flaws. I don't recall hearing negative from his players

You don't recall hearing negative from his players? Didn't Neil Reed play for him?

Bob Knight was a complicated man -- great coach, could be charming and generous, but could also be a total ass. Guess he was human.

You don't recall hearing negative from his players? Didn't Neil Reed play for him?

Bob Knight was a complicated man -- great coach, could be charming and generous, but could also be a total ass. Guess he was human.
Everybody knows that a handful of complainers means nothing.
Well, almost everybody knows that.

You make demands of people, a few won't like it.
Especially when their teammates are generally lined up against the complainer.
Sounds vaguely familiar.

I've met a few of the late '70s IU players on a social basis. Fair to say that they fully agree with Reed's ass-essment of Coach Knight. Like I said, complicated. And in no way similar to recent events in our football program

• Wow
I've met a few of the late '70s IU players on a social basis. Fair to say that they fully agree with Reed's ass-essment of Coach Knight. Like I said, complicated. And in no way similar to recent events in our football program

Well similarities start with iconic, loyal head coach who focused on getting his players to be purposeful, responsible men, stressing the importance of education and getting their degree.

Both undermined by a player complaining about the culture.

And university administrators who didn't agree with the vast majority of fans, who sided with the coach.

So yes, quite similar.

Not saying Fitz had most of Knight's negatives, or his coaching genius.

Coach Knight held his players to the highest standards of hard work and discipline. If he had held himself to that same standard, that's what he would have been remembered for. Instead he's remembered for being a hypocritical bully who won a bunch of basketball games.

Coach Knight held his players to the highest standards of hard work and discipline. If he had held himself to that same standard, that's what he would have been remembered for. Instead he's remembered for being a hypocritical bully who won a bunch of basketball games.
Depends who you talk to.

^ There's no disputing that Knight quit on TT during the middle of the season.

That's far worse than players deciding to transfer after the end of the season, plus HC quitting is way more impactful than a player doing so.

General George Patton was supposedly a prima donna and a jerk who marched to his own drum, but drove his men to their limits and won great battles. He was a leader, a brilliant tactician who took risks. Soldiers died under his command as a consequence. Most of his men loved or respected him and were proud to have served under his command. And yet he slapped a soldier suffering from a nervous breakdown for being a coward and occupying a bed in a crowded field hospital alongside gravely injured soldiers. Because it pissed him off.

Sometimes a leader who challenges his men to give everything will bring out the best in them.

It doesn't happen much anymore. Different, softer times.

First off, this is college athletics, not war.

2nd, aside from the slapping incident (appears Patton wasn't up to date on being shell-shocked, or maybe he just didn't think it was a real thing since he had a morbid outlook on life), Patton was generally known for treating not only his troops well, but subordinate officers (only dismissed 1 in his career and that was after 2 warnings).

3rd, you really think verbally abusing players and even putting your hands on them is a good example of leadership?

Is that the type leadership his players are expected to exhibit themselves in their adult lives?

Being (at one point) a very good cbb coach doesn't necessarily = to good leadership.

In contrast, Dean Smith was a highly successful cbb coach who actually led by example, and showed leadership beyond Ws-Ls or Xs-Os, by being among the first to integrate despite death threats, etc.

Smith is the type of coach who would be successful in today's game (where players have a lot more power) or even in the pros.

If Knight tried to pull that in the NBA, he would get punched out.

Meyer was a highly successful cfb coach who failed miserably in the NFL by deriding his assistants and bullying players (not the stars like Lawrence, but those on the fringes of the roster).

Just because Meyer won multiple NCs on the collegiate level doesn't make him a good leader.

A good leader doesn't abuse those under his leadership (especially those with the least amount of power; always detested those who would abuse the secretarial and support staff) and knows that people are different and that in order to get the best out if them, that you have to press different buttons.

Getting back to Patton, he actually was disappointed that the Japanese surrendered before he got a chance to fight in the Pacific theater, it didn't really matter to him that that would have meant more lives lost.

While Patton was a brilliant tactician when it came to armor (he was the 1st to realize/push for tanks being beyond infantry support), he wouldn't have been good in the role that Eisenhower had as the broad strategist due to his bulldog mentality and his morbid outlook on life.

Plus his views on Jews were simply abhorrent.

Last edited:
Reactions: PURPLECAT88
^ There's no disputing that Knight quit on TT during the middle of the season.

That's far worse than players deciding to transfer after the end of the season, plus HC quitting is way more impactful than a player doing so.

First off, this is college athletics, not war.

2nd, aside from the slapping incident (appears Patton wasn't up to date on being shell-shocked, or maybe he just didn't think it was a real thing since he had a morbid outlook on life), Patton was generally known for treating not only his troops well, but subordinate officers (only dismissed 1 in his career and that was after 2 warnings).

3rd, you really think verbally abusing players and even putting your hands on them is a good example of leadership?

Is that the type leadership his players are expected to exhibit themselves in their adult lives?

Being (at one point) a very good cbb coach doesn't necessarily = to good leadership.

In contrast, Dean Smith was a highly successful cbb coach who actually led by example, and showed leadership beyond Ws-Ls or Xs-Os, by being among the first to integrate despite death threats, etc.

Smith is the type of coach who would be successful in today's game (where players have a lot more power) or even in the pros.

If Knight tried to pull that in the NBA, he would get punched out.

Meyer was a highly successful cfb coach who failed miserably in the NFL by deriding his assistants and bullying players (not the stars like Lawrence, but those on the fringes of the roster).

Just because Meyer won multiple NCs on the collegiate level doesn't make him a good leader.

A good leader doesn't abuse those under his leadership (especially those with the least amount of power; always detested those who would abuse the secretarial and support staff) and knows that people are different and that in order to get the best out if them, that you have to press different buttons.

Getting back to Patton, he actually was disappointed that the Japanese surrendered before he got a chance to fight in the Pacific theater, it didn't really matter to him that that would have meant more lives lost.

While Patton was a brilliant tactician when it came to armor (he was the 1st to realize/push for tanks being beyond infantry support), he wouldn't have been good in the role that Eisenhower had as the broad strategist due to his bulldog mentality and his morbid outlook on life.

Plus his views on Jews were simply abhorrent.
Wtf are you even talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT