ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BBall v FBall?

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
I like the BBall program and I follow the games. But...it's all about Cats football to me. I have yet to go to WRA, but I went to every game at RF this year, and 4 games during the putrid 2022 season. I plan to go to all "home" games but OSU in 2024.

On TV, I rarely miss a FB game if not attending, whereas BBall I usually just follow on my phone and watch part of the 2nd half.

What say all of you? Asking on Bball board during Bball season just to see what your thoughts are.

The game experience at WRA is superb. The students bring lots of juice, and it's hard to find a bad seat. And now they serve beer to go with visiting fan whine.

After DOSU, I took little Hungry on the floor, and he got selfies with Ty (again), Matt (again), Boo, Nick, and Luke. Boo signed his jersey (0). Little Hungry was treated very well by the players.

Not many places you will find this.

I've never been a football fan. That's not to say I don't like football or don't like the Cats, it's just never caught on with me to go to the games and I rarely watch sportsball games on television since the big ten network basically sold the rights to everyone else and stopped showing them.

I grew up playing in the sand pit behind the wooden bleachers in what I suppose was then McGraw Hall, going to the games with my dad, who was all in on basketball.

It's just different. Football is a pageant, a spectacle. There are only 6-7 games at home a year, only ~4 Big Ten ones. It's a celebration of the whole community, because it is the only place where the whole community can gather at once. Even at a smaller venue like ours, its sheer size is unlike any other sport in the country. (Even the NFL, which is still enjoyable but more sanitized, in my view.)

Basketball is intimate, intense. It's a grind; there are 20 discrete adventures, and individual games tend to be much less predictable in how they unfold. You can hear the players, the coaches, the officials. You can see their faces and their interactions. The band and students have a huge impact on the venue, much more so than in any open-air venue 6x the size. When it really gets going, the stands shake. If you're a sports fan, a Northwestern fan, it moves you - literally.

I love them both, but Welsh-Ryan has quickly become a special place. I hope we can keep building it, maintaining it. As a student back in the day, we dreamed of this. It's here. It's beautiful.

The easy answer is "whichever one is playing better right now," but that just sounds like being a fair-weather fan.

When I was a student, I loved basketball games WAY more, and I am feeling particularly jealous of the students who have been there the past two years. As I got older, I gravitated more toward football. It's no less draining an experience when it's a good game, but somehow sitting outside and not necessarily packed like sardines is more relaxing. I haven't lived in Chicago/Evanston for a long time, but more frequently than not my trips to Chicago correspond with a football game. My last trip happened to be the weekend of the Dayton game however, and it was my first time at WRA (old or new) in many many years. I want to start building trips around basketball I think.

If I still lived in Chicago, despite being someone who does not like to part with money, I'm sure I would be a season-ticket holder in both.

The game experience at WRA is superb. The students bring lots of juice, and it's hard to find a bad seat. And now they serve beer to go with visiting fan whine.

After DOSU, I took little Hungry on the floor, and he got selfies with Ty (again), Matt (again), Boo, Nick, and Luke. Boo signed his jersey (0). Little Hungry was treated very well by the players.

Not many places you will find this.
Damn that’s dope, I didn’t know you were at the game I would’ve gave you a hi Five an a Go cats from a fellow board member.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Damn that’s dope, I didn’t know you were at the game I would’ve gave you a hi Five an a Go cats from a fellow board member.
Basketball is more intense because it is a smaller arena, seats can be closer to the floor and the action is faster. Football is different but being outside makes it appealing especially in fall weather. Of course you also need a winning team to enjoy it and the present atmosphere Igor basketball is now unmatched

Football ‘Cats were my first love. I’ve had and will keep my season tickets for as long as i can.

But I’ve really enjoyed following the basketball team more and more the last several years. Too many games and at times I wouldn’t be able to go because of work make bball season tickets untenable currently, but I do try to get to Welsh Ryan as often as I can. It is a tremendous experience in the new building.

I like the BBall program and I follow the games. But...it's all about Cats football to me. I have yet to go to WRA, but I went to every game at RF this year, and 4 games during the putrid 2022 season. I plan to go to all "home" games but OSU in 2024.

On TV, I rarely miss a FB game if not attending, whereas BBall I usually just follow on my phone and watch part of the 2nd half.

What say all of you? Asking on Bball board during Bball season just to see what your thoughts are.
I like football, and the rarity of games make them more of an event. I don’t live near Chicago so when I travel to NU to meet friends it’s always for a football game.

That said, I like football less than most other sports. Basketball and baseball are my favorite sports. I think I’ve been on this board for 20+ years and I’ve always been more interested in the bball discussion. I watch nearly every game even when we go like 3-17 in the big 10. I’ve seen both of our NCAA tournament wins in person. I hope to see at least one more live in March. The bball team being good means more to me.

The key to any spectator enjoyment is to be competitive. You don't have to win them all but you need to win some and you need to show up most games. That is what both football and MBB offer now.

Reactions: No Chores
I prefer football as a sport, but as a student (03-07) going to WRA was far more fun. As others noted, the sound and energy in the building is like nothing you could get in Ryan Field. I left a few games with my ears ringing...

My friends and I stood in the first row of the student section almost every game and what I'll always remember is how it felt like in basketball you could actually impact the game. As a fan, that is a pretty incredible feeling.

I prefer football as a sport, but as a student (03-07) going to WRA was far more fun. As others noted, the sound and energy in the building is like nothing you could get in Ryan Field. I left a few games with my ears ringing...

My friends and I stood in the first row of the student section almost every game and what I'll always remember is how it felt like in basketball you could actually impact the game. As a fan, that is a pretty incredible feeling.
This.

My guess is that you're more of the norm at NU than it seems you're giving yourself credit for. I've grown to believe NU is totally a football school - maybe since the Rose Bowl season as well as a few winners after that.

Simply look at the board usage. Football has many more participants. And that's fine.

I'm the exact opposite of you. Basketball is my thing. Football ... eh.

My first inclination is not to blame you for one vs. the other. Most people don't have an infinite amount of time, so certain sports are where many of us focus.

If we're going to go down the road of basketball over football, most of the discussion points have been made. I just have a few more.

1) Until the new arena was built, the price of a basketball was laughably low. I'll let others decide whether those teams were worth the value.

2) Old Welsh and new Welsh. You can't beat the view. Name a B10 player in the last 20+ years, and I've seen them in that wonderfully cozy arena.

3) Nobody is talking about what a basketball crowd can do to coaches also. Ask Bob Knight next time you see him 😇👿. I've had Gene Keady bark at me. The KO show. Steve Alford chuckled at a shot about his hair.

4) The weather in the Welsh is always dependable.

My guess is that you're more of the norm at NU than it seems you're giving yourself credit for. I've grown to believe NU is totally a football school - maybe since the Rose Bowl season as well as a few winners after that.

Simply look at the board usage. Football has many more participants. And that's fine.

I'm the exact opposite of you. Basketball is my thing. Football ... eh.

My first inclination is not to blame you for one vs. the other. Most people don't have an infinite amount of time, so certain sports are where many of us focus.

If we're going to go down the road of basketball over football, most of the discussion points have been made. I just have a few more.

1) Until the new arena was built, the price of a basketball was laughably low. I'll let others decide whether those teams were worth the value.

2) Old Welsh and new Welsh. You can't beat the view. Name a B10 player in the last 20+ years, and I've seen them in that wonderfully cozy arena.

3) Nobody is talking about what a basketball crowd can do to coaches also. Ask Bob Knight next time you see him 😇👿. I've had Gene Keady bark at me. The KO show. Steve Alford chuckled at a shot about his hair.

4) The weather in the Welsh is always dependable.
Fans who can get under the skin of opposing coaches should get free season tickets

Reactions: GatoLouco
Fans who can get under the skin of opposing coaches should get free season tickets
I will bet my house I can get under Undie or Fran's skin. And I won't even leave my house. Just watch them the next time they are at WRA

Bear Laser GIF by Black Math

Reactions: Hungry Jack

My wife and I have been across-the-board Wildcat fans since 1977. Some of our best experiences include:

1. Walking 18 holes and having a running conversation with Luke Donald and Pat Goss when they were competing in the Kepler Invitational at the OSU Scarlet course.
2. Showing up at a womens' softball game in South Bend in our Purple and having the NU girls cheer us for being there.
3. Witnessing up close the Lake Show beat Maryland in Columbus for the 2023 BIG Championship.
4. Floor seats at WR to see the Cats beat OSU for the first time in my life. Mrs. GOU kept telling me to sit down as I animated every big play/shot up and down the floor. The students loved my antics.
5. The look on my 9 year old son's face when he was hospitalized in 1995 and got a get well card signed by Barnett, Schnur, Bates, Autry, Fitz and others.
6. Jake Herbert winning a national championship in no doubt, dominating style.
7. Cheering for Mathew Fitzpatrick as he won the US Open.
8. Watching any NU team beat any Michigan team. Special shoutout to Tap and Pardon for the "Shot."
9. Taking my OSU daughter to the hoops game in Columbus with seats right behind the team bench. My daughter getting a pregame text from her brother ... "Tell Dad he needs to behave. The 2 of you are on network TV a lot in those seats."
10. The visual power of seeing a purple end zone in Pasadena with Northwestern spelled out across its length.

Lots of other great moments. And the best part of the journey has always been the great people we have met and gotten to know through NU athletics.

GOUNUII

10. The visual power of seeing a purple end zone in Pasadena with Northwestern spelled out across its length.
I'm a fair weather football fan, and that sight still sticks with me.

So does f-ing Keyshawn Johnson on that day!!

Reactions: rogerkim

We must've crossed paths, as a student from 02-07 there where many games where the total number of students was less than 40, but when it got full and the bleachers felt like they were going to give way, there was no better place to be.

We must've crossed paths, as a student from 02-07 there where many games where the total number of students was less than 40, but when it got full and the bleachers felt like they were going to give way, there was no better place to be.
I think we did! Senior week '07. As you mentioned, it was pretty easy to recognize folks from the group of 30 that would trudge out to Wednesday night games in November

I am a long time FB ST guy and more recent BB ST holder (started year before first tourney appearance) The recent uptick in BB is something. You are really missing something if you do not go to at least one BB game this year against a BIG opponent. The place has been rocking in a way that FB just cannot do. The student body has gotten quite involved. Would not wait till next year to get the feel as likely a falloff with Boo departing. Probably the easiest upcoming tickets to get are going to be Neb and PSU but they are probably $75-85 from the schools so other site might be better (following those games are IA, Mich with Minn as the close out game at the end of the season.

Much harder to get the same feel with the FB games and next couple years are going to be especially tough

Last edited:
My wife and I have been across-the-board Wildcat fans since 1977. Some of our best experiences include:

1. Walking 18 holes and having a running conversation with Luke Donald and Pat Goss when they were competing in the Kepler Invitational at the OSU Scarlet course.
2. Showing up at a womens' softball game in South Bend in our Purple and having the NU girls cheer us for being there.
3. Witnessing up close the Lake Show beat Maryland in Columbus for the 2023 BIG Championship.
4. Floor seats at WR to see the Cats beat OSU for the first time in my life. Mrs. GOU kept telling me to sit down as I animated every big play/shot up and down the floor. The students loved my antics.
5. The look on my 9 year old son's face when he was hospitalized in 1995 and got a get well card signed by Barnett, Schnur, Bates, Autry, Fitz and others.
6. Jake Herbert winning a national championship in no doubt, dominating style.
7. Cheering for Mathew Fitzpatrick as he won the US Open.
8. Watching any NU team beat any Michigan team. Special shoutout to Tap and Pardon for the "Shot."
9. Taking my OSU daughter to the hoops game in Columbus with seats right behind the team bench. My daughter getting a pregame text from her brother ... "Tell Dad he needs to behave. The 2 of you are on network TV a lot in those seats."

Lots of other great moments. And the best part of the journey has always been the great people we have met and gotten to know through NU athletics.

GOUNUII
Great job my friend! I'm sure you could d 10 more without breaking a sweat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT