ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I worried about

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
You can’t go to Purdue and just quit. These guys gave it everything through OT. But I was worried that our thin team might expend all its energy on the road in a game they weren’t likely to win and not have much left for a game they couldn’t lose at Minnesota.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
This thing may be spiraling down the drain. We just cant finish on the road. Not enough depth for a long grind of a season.

• Sad
This thing may be spiraling down the drain. We just cant finish on the road. Not enough depth for a long grind of a season.
The tough early schedule may have sapped these guys so they can’t take advantage of the easier late schedule.

We really need, or close to need, at least one road win still, and this was the last we’ll be favored in.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Unless the wheels come off completely in next two home games, we’ll be favored at Rutgers
Which, stressfully, will kinda be a must win scenario on the road, which obviously isn’t a great feeling. We should be able to beat Rutgers on the road but we should have beaten Minnesota.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
We don’t get a full week off until the break between the 22nd and 28th game but at least we get the extra night heading into Nebraska and Penn State. Gotta grab them both.

Reactions: zbag51 and IGNORE2
You can’t go to Purdue and just quit. These guys gave it everything through OT. But I was worried that our thin team might expend all its energy on the road in a game they weren’t likely to win and not have much left for a game they couldn’t lose at Minnesota.
NU was the better team most of the game, but they couldn't put it away in the second half, although they appeared to be about to a couple of times. Seems as though every time they got up by 10 or so, they had a let down, and played sloppy. Boui was not top form--hit a couple of clutch 3's, but didn't do much inside, except get fouled. With three OT's in the last four games, I think they lost their legs in this OT, just got worn out. Still, this is a good team. They've got several at welsh Ryan coming up, hope they can bounce back.

Tied 63-63 late at Wisconsin
Tied 65-65 late at Nebraska
5-point lead late at Purdue
9-point 2nd half lead at Minnesota

Lost all 4 of them, 2 in OT.

I still think we’re OK, but winning 6 road games in conference last year was a big part of our resume but we haven’t found a way at the end of these tough games on the road this year.

Recurring theme in all of these was, "Northwestern hasn't made a FG since..." and that's been a killer. Today missed FT's really hurt but yes there were plenty of horrible dribble-round-til-the-clock-runs-out-desperation-heave kind of situations with not much for good looks. We simply have to be better on offense down the stretch to win on the road, kind of like how we've been great down the stretch on offense at home.

Recurring theme in all of these was, "Northwestern hasn't made a FG since..." and that's been a killer. Today missed FT's really hurt but yes there were plenty of horrible dribble-round-til-the-clock-runs-out-desperation-heave kind of situations with not much for good looks. We simply have to be better on offense down the stretch to win on the road, kind of like how we've been great down the stretch on offense at home.
Agreed, late in the second half and in overtime they were scrambling, but consider they had just come off an overtime loss to #2 Purdue in a very tough and well played game, and after they beat them the first time around. This is a top 5 team (in the country) when they are at their best, but don't have quite the depth or stamina to be consistently that good. The fact that they played Minnesota to OT, without a great performance by Buie bodes well for the future. I believe Collins may well be building a dynasty. At NU?

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Agreed, late in the second half and in overtime they were scrambling, but consider they had just come off an overtime loss to #2 Purdue in a very tough and well played game, and after they beat them the first time around. This is a top 5 team (in the country) when they are at their best, but don't have quite the depth or stamina to be consistently that good. The fact that they played Minnesota to OT, without a great performance by Boui bodes well for the future. I believe Collins may well be building a dynasty. At NU?
🧐

Tied 63-63 late at Wisconsin
Tied 65-65 late at Nebraska
5-point lead late at Purdue
9-point 2nd half lead at Minnesota

Lost all 4 of them, 2 in OT.

I still think we’re OK, but winning 6 road games in conference last year was a big part of our resume but we haven’t found a way at the end of these tough games on the road this year.
That's where Chase's toughness is missed.

Barnhizor and Martenelli have to work on getting the ball and a strong straight line drive to the basket. Not backing a man down.

They will get there.

That's where Chase's toughness is missed.

Barnhizor and Martenelli have to work on getting the ball and a strong straight line drive to the basket. Not backing a man down.

They will get there.
Not everybody is good at face up driving. I'm highly skeptical Martinelli will ever have that as a strength of his game just given his skillset. Brooks has good handles, so maybe he'll be able to in certain situations if he has the right matchup, but he already does that occasionally anyway, he just usually isn't trying to drive all the way to the rack like a point guard. As an inside-outside wing forward, it's pretty unusual to be able to drive like a small guard that well.

They can learn, it's getting their front foot past the defender, which puts the defender on the driving players hip, after that just make the play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT