ADVERTISEMENT

Rittenberg calls out Fitz re: JON

Almost any other school. Brian Ferentz still has a job.
He also has a massive buyout.

But he’s actually won a conference championship or two. And will go to a bowl game.

We’re going to have to fight, scratch, and claw to beat Iowa or Purdue for our second win this season, and our fifth of the last two.

Reactions: lunker35
I think every day JON is the active DC is another strike against this belief.

There was no good reason to keep JON in his role over the bye week. Consistency or stability are not inherent virtues if they are actively contributing to failure.
Fitz won't fire people mid season and I have no problem with that philosophy. I will have a problem if O'Neil is the DC at NU after this season. I am almost certain that won't happen.

Fitz won't fire people mid season and I have no problem with that philosophy. I will have a problem if O'Neil is the DC at NU after this season. I am almost certain that won't happen.
So why not fire his ass now?

Reactions: PurpleFaze
What won't happen, he will or won't be DC after this season? Fitz risks losing this team and recruiting if they continue on the path to 1-11.

So why not fire his ass now?
Because Fitz does not like humiliating people that work for him and I am just fine with that. One way or another, I am confident Fitz knows O'Neil cannot be his DC beyond this season just like he knew McCall could no longer be his OC after the 2019 season.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
What won't happen, he will or won't be DC after this season? Fitz risks losing this team and recruiting if they continue on the path to 1-11.
I'm not sure that firing the DC mid-season prevents us from going 1-11. Unless we want to give somebody currently on-staff the chance to win the job, I'm not sure there's much to be gained.

I presume there will be more options to replace him in the off-season than there would be mid-season.

I'm not sure that firing the DC mid-season prevents us from going 1-11. Unless we want to give somebody currently on-staff the chance to win the job, I'm not sure there's much to be gained.

I presume there will be more options to replace him in the off-season than there would be mid-season.
No, not prevents 1-11, but prevents total collapse of NU football as we have known it since 1995.

Just like a QB change wouldn't happen? Fitz is stubborn but he is not dumb. Take your cynicism elsewhere
What pressure do you think you can put on Fitz? If you don't do as we want we will pay you $70 million to chill at home with your kids?

What pressure do you think you can put on Fitz? If you don't do as we want we will pay you $70 million to chill at home with your kids?
Who said anything about pressure? FItz will make the change because he hates to lose and even he won’t be able to give O’Neil the benefit of the doubt after this season. He may be slow to convince himself of what needs to be done but don’t for a minute doubt Fitz’s desire to do what he has to do within the rules to win.

The hire was questionable when it happened, it was a disaster on his first play as DC, and it's been a continuing disaster since.

There was a brief respite when Fitz was more hands on last year, but in his now 5th year as a DC at any level he's halfway through a 5th year of managing a defense ranked at the bottom of the level.

How much more evidence do we need that he should not have this job.

The hire was questionable when it happened, it was a disaster on his first play as DC, and it's been a continuing disaster since.

There was a brief respite when Fitz was more hands on last year, but in his now 5th year as a DC at any level he's halfway through a 5th year of managing a defense ranked at the bottom of the level.

How much more evidence do we need that he should not have this job.

"How much more evidence do we need that he should not have this job."

Thats not the issue. He has the job. Our defensive talent is undersized and/or slow for the most part. Do they look poorly coached? Yes, they do.

But, what do you get by firing JON now? NU still has to pay him.

"How much more evidence do we need that he should not have this job."

Thats not the issue. He has the job. Our defensive talent is undersized and/or slow for the most part. Do they look poorly coached? Yes, they do.

But, what do you get by firing JON now? NU still has to pay him.
His salary is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. It's not the salary. That's really just pennies to the program in the grand scheme of things.

Question is why we haven't been able to promote a DC given the relative stability we had on the staff before the past couple of years.

I get that McGarigle is young and just joined a couple years ago. MacPherson's been on the staff for a long time and was put on the defensive side of the ball at the same time McGarigle got here.

Just seems Fitz doesn't think anybody on the staff was ready when he made the JON hire, but is that still true now?

Because Fitz does not like humiliating people that work for him and I am just fine with that. One way or another, I am confident Fitz knows O'Neil cannot be his DC beyond this season just like he knew McCall could no longer be his OC after the 2019 season.
He'd rather humiliate the entire program, the University and all of us alumni.

Tough crap, boo effing hoo. JON must go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT