ADVERTISEMENT

Rittenberg on Fitz

Seems fair. If anything, a bit generous, considering the decision not to try to improve things with staff changes after the season. The whole season as a whole barely merits a passing grade in my opinion (and that's considering the injuries, because missing a bowl should be a big fat F in my opinion), but the lack of action to demonstrate recognition of the shortcoming and desire to do something about it pushes it to a fail in my book.

Very, very disappointed in this coaching staff right now. The lack of hitting in Kenosha was a joke. No preparation whatsoever. Falling flat against the Illini in a loser stay home scenario and rivalry game was inexcusable. Wins against Wisconsin, PSU, and ND just demonstrate how short of our potential we played most of the rest of the season. Just doesn't seem we want to get better at all. Sorry, I'm usually a glass half full person, but in this case, it's just saddening how far we've fallen since the Outback Bowl and Gameday with the Bucks in town.
This post was edited on 2/1 6:33 AM by EvanstonCat

Originally posted by Styre:
...you do know there's nothing contradictory in giving a coach a good grade for one season and a bad grade for another, right?
To some people, Fitz's A+ grade in 2012 should carry over for X number of years, no matter how pitiful his performance in subsequent years.

What if everyone could do spectacularly one year in work, and just blow (off) completely the rest of their career. That would be an ideal work performance situation, wouldn't it? Sorry, but welcome to the real world where no one gives a shit about what you did in the past if you aren't getting it done now.

I don't seem to recall the glass half full days, but now the glass is clearly empty. To equate, a "normal" job to a college coaching job is silly. To imply, the staff had a good year, and then blew off the rest of their career is irresponsible. Look, no one is happy with the results the last 2 years. There were mistakes made in both preparation and game day decisions. We have to improve all around. Easy with hindsight to suggest what we need to do. Now the pressure is on and we will be doing with a rookie at QB. Can't wait for the first. We are too conservative post, we didn't develop our star recruits, Barnett wouldn't have done that, etc . There are good things going on too, maybe you can keep a little in the glass instead of chugging it down to dry.

Originally posted by EvanstonCat:
Originally posted by Styre:
...you do know there's nothing contradictory in giving a coach a good grade for one season and a bad grade for another, right?
To some people, Fitz's A+ grade in 2012 should carry over for X number of years, no matter how pitiful his performance in subsequent years.

What if everyone could do spectacularly one year in work, and just blow (off) completely the rest of their career. That would be an ideal work performance situation, wouldn't it? Sorry, but welcome to the real world where no one gives a shit about what you did in the past if you aren't getting it done now.
The more relevant point is that this is the same coaching staff that was able to switch gears mid-season to more of an option attack in 2012. Clearly the same kind of adjustments weren't made in 2013 and 2014. When combined with the relative health (or lack thereof) across those seasons, it added up to a successful 2012 and unsuccessful years in 2013 and 2014.

The fact that this staff has previously demonstrated the ability to adapt and adjust to its personnel is probably why Fitz decided against changing the staff this offseason. I don't happen to agree with that decision, but can recognize the thought process. It will be interesting to see what happens if 2015 is not a success (over/under for me is still 6.5 wins), especially because retaining the same staff indicates that Fitz has basically decided to shoulder the blame for the problems from 2013 and 2014.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT