ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage Thoughts.

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
Considering the level of competition, it is important to approach any positives with a grain of salt. Both offensive and defensive aspects require some cleaning up. There were numerous instances of careless passing and questionable decision-making in the offensive game. In certain moments, they were fortunate to retain possession. Defensively, there were several just bad switches, leading to wide open shot opportunities for the opponents. Additionally, moments of poor communication resulted in defensive breakdowns and lost players. Free throw shooting needs to be better. Nevertheless, they managed to handle their responsibilities effectively overall. They secured an easy victory, fulfilling the expectations set for them. They were clearly the better team and dominated athletically. I would anticipated that the starting lineup will remain consistent throughout the year.

Buie exhibited a more relaxed approach to the game, showcasing excellent ball movement and involving his teammates effectively. His ability to attract defensive attention allowed him to display his outstanding playmaking skills by delivering beautiful passes to a wide-open teammates. Barnhizer, who was looking to score early and often managed to put up an impressive 29 points. Given Barnhizer's proficiency in shooting from both inside and outside the arc, it's reasonable to expect him to be the second leading scorer for NU.

Berry and Langborg also possess the ability to score in large quantities on any given night. Although Berry faced some shooting struggles, he managed to hit his first three-pointer. On the other hand, Langborg displayed promising defensive potential against the weaker opposition, although he acquired a couple of unnecessary fouls that need to be addressed. It will be intriguing to see how his driving ability and defense hold up against stronger competition, as he is a legitimate threat from deep range. If Langborg starts finding his rhythm, watch out.

This team boasts several talented shooters from the starting 1-4 who can create scoring runs when they get hot. Mullins stands out with his energy and quickness. He made some impressive defensive plays and was active both on the boards and defensively. He showcased his hustle with numerous impactful plays and excelled in fast breaks. However, at times he tended to over-dribble and try to do too much, but his athleticism allowed him to recover against the level of competition he faced.

Preston brought valuable energy to the game and demonstrated a touch that was unseen last year for the center position last year. However, he still needs to work on his defense in order to be fully prepared for the more challenging B1G play. According to the commentators, it is likely that the starting lineup will see the majority of minutes, while Mullins, Preston, and Martinelli will also receive playing time. Clayton might come off the bench when Buie is resting as they said he was the back up pg. Hunger I would anticipate to be the primary reserve. Hunger moves well and possesses good size, though he struggled to find his shooting rhythm in the scrimmage. It is uncertain whether he will see significant playing time this season.

Barkley only made a late appearance, and it is unlikely that he will have much playing time this season. Strauss, Clayton, and Martinelli were inactive for the game.

In general, the team took care of business. The good news is that there are numerous minor details that need to be addressed, but nothing glaring early. It was evident that they were the superior team and performed accordingly. I imagine that Coach Collins and the 🧙‍♂️ will ensure that the next practice is “fun”.

Thanks for the writeup. Games like this and the secret scrimmage are hopefully less about the final score and more about figuring out what to work on when the games count for real. Sure, it's fun to get excited about Barnhizer's or Mullins' stat lines and Langborg's shot, because we as fans have been wandering in the desert for seven months waiting for our first drink of water, but if Collins and company learn and adjust to these games appropriately, it could be a special year. Go Cats!

Did not watch, any theories on why Barnhizer and Berry played so many minutes? I know without Martinelli we don't have other clear 4's. Still seems like a lot of minutes against a D2 team

Did not watch, any theories on why Barnhizer and Berry played so many minutes? I know without Martinelli we don't have other clear 4's. Still seems like a lot of minutes against a D2 team
Look at Matt's write up but Collins blamed injuries and that this is the lineup they will be going with (?). Puzzling

Reactions: GatoLouco
Other than theories stated thus far, I would note that McKendree shot really well and has some very talented players. As much some like to scoff at D2, there are very talented players out there, all around the world, as McKendree has. We’ve see many teams shoot the lights out against us, and without turnovers, the game was close. I presume Collins valued a win for team confidence and chemistry from our key players over a few more minutes from subs.

Reactions: GatoLouco
They played those minutes in order to instill a scorers mindset in Barnhizer and Berry. We require additional players who can contribute points besides Buie to be successful this season. It was evident that Buie wasn't particularly focused on scoring a high number of points and took a step back into a facilitator role. Barnhizer, on the other hand, showed great determination right from the beginning, actively seeking to score by establishing a strong presence near the basket and frequently calling for the ball. This strategy was aimed at fostering team chemistry and putting the entire team in the right mindset ahead of the upcoming season. I wouldn’t put too much stock into the rotation or minutes.

Other than theories stated thus far, I would note that McKendree shot really well and has some very talented players. As much some like to scoff at D2, there are very talented players out there, all around the world, as McKendree has. We’ve see many teams shoot the lights out against us, and without turnovers, the game was close. I presume Collins valued a win for team confidence and chemistry from our key players over a few more minutes from subs.
McKendree shot 42% from 3 as a team last year, and their two top 3-point scorers were back. They shot 42% last night. NU probably won't face a team that shoots 3's like that the rest of the year.

Last year Kansas' starters played between 28 and 36 mpg in conference play, with 3 bench players getting between 6-11 mpg. They were a 1 seed. Gonzaga's starters played between 27 and 32 mpg in conference play, with 3 bench players getting between 12-20 mpg. They made the Elite 8. UConn starters played between 28 and 32 mpg in conference play, with 4 bench players getting between 10-15 mpg. They won it all

We played our top 6 players (starters plus Brooks) between 22 and 36 mpg last year with TVH and Dom Mart being the only other rotation guys once Roper went down.

Last year Kansas' starters played between 28 and 36 mpg in conference play, with 3 bench players getting between 6-11 mpg. They were a 1 seed. Gonzaga's starters played between 27 and 32 mpg in conference play, with 3 bench players getting between 12-20 mpg. They made the Elite 8. UConn starters played between 28 and 32 mpg in conference play, with 4 bench players getting between 10-15 mpg. They won it all

We played our top 6 players (starters plus Brooks) between 22 and 36 mpg last year with TVH and Dom Mart being the only other rotation guys once Roper went down.
Right. Iowa was a top B1G team over the last years that barely played any bench minutes. I was just surprised considering it was an exhibition game and CC was never a "ride the hot hand" kind of guy.

Reactions: ricko654321
Here is a link to the highlights:
The Preston highlight early in this package was eye-opening. He harassed the inbound pass, stuck with his guy in the backcourt, stayed with him in the frontcourt, and then blocked the shot to start a fast break. He is going to be a fan favorite if he does stuff like that in the regular season.

A couple cheap thoughts ...

1) For me, one of the more interesting aspects seemed to be that Barnhizer may be the backup lead guard to Buie.

I thought Buie should have had fewer minutes to allow a Boo-less team to work together more.

But initially Barnhizer may be the guy to run the offense.

2) Does this team have three scorers you can rely on consistently? Buie, Barnhizer and Langborg. It's been a while since I can remember such a thing. Maaaaybe the first tourney team on the right day?

3) Preston is surprisingly interesting. I'm interested to see how he evolves.

I'd also be interested to know if her heard the f-bomb in his four years at Liberty as much as he did last night.

4) That interior defense in those last 10 minutes was pretty bad. I can't decide if the main culprit was Hunger or Mullins losing his guy. Maybe both? We'll see.

4) That interior defense in those last 10 minutes was pretty bad. I can't decide if the main culprit was Hunger or Mullins losing his guy. Maybe both? We'll see.

I didn't see, so I don't know, but I'd imagine there was at least a little coasting at that point.

A couple cheap thoughts ...

1) For me, one of the more interesting aspects seemed to be that Barnhizer may be the backup lead guard to Buie.
I called that as a possibility before. Freshman might not be ready. We have no idea if Berry/Mullins/Langborg can do it. Barnhizer, weirdly, played PG in the 2nd half of our blowout to Iowa in the B1G tournament of 2 years ago.

Regardless, barring injuries, it won't be any significant amount of time.

Personally, I think the switch to an 8 man rotation last year was a contributing factor to the team's success.

In 2020-21, we ran a 9 man rotation with Pete Nance and Ryan Young primarily alternating at center and Miller Kopp playing more minutes than anyone (32+ per night). Ty Berry played about 14 mpg as a freshman. We sucked.

In the 2021-22 season Collins ran 10 guys, then cut it to 9 as "top 100" freshman Casey Simmons proved he shouldn't be playing. Pete Nance and Ryan Young still alternated at center. Ty Berry and freshman Julian Roper essentially split time at "small forward" while Buie and Audige gave up minutes to get Ryan Greer (18 mpg) and grad transfer Elyjah Williams (12 mpg) on the court. Ryan Young was 8th in minutes. Nicholson and Barnhizer chafed on the bench all season. Though the team improved, we definitely underachieved and Collins flirted with termination.

In 2022-23, Nance, Young and Simmons left, Greer graduated, Williams ran out of eligibility. We picked up grad transfer Verhoeven to be the starting center. Chris Lowery was brought in as assitant coach. With 8 players in the rotation, Buie and Audige played heavier minutes. Barnhizer and Nicholson proved they were better than Greer, Williams, Beran, Simmons and arguably Ty Berry after about 10 games. The team made the tournament.

Chris Collins said to the media on Monday "You have to find a way to get your best players on the court." I was pleased to hear him say that, because that wasn't always the philosophy.

To me clearly the best 5 players are Buie, Barnhizer, Nicholson, Langborg and Berry. This group should and barring injury will play the most minutes.
Its actually surprising how little the starters have played together over the years.
In the last 3 seasons, the starters played 14-20% of the minutes together.

Or put another way, at least 80% of the time, a sub was on the floor.

Thats okay if you only have 2 or 3 subs and they're nearly as good as the starters, but if there is a talent dropoff, thats a recipe for losses.

I agree with your core 5 stated above. I think Martinelli is a solid 6th man and Preston is a good backup for Nicholson. Martinelli can sub in at the 4 and let Barnhizer or Berry or Langborg rest. That is good flexibility.
If Mullins can provide solid minutes, that would be very helpful. Otherwise, we'll need something from Hunger or Clayton.

Reactions: hollandnucat
Team played well and the have a chance this year.

But NU had player in foul trouble in the first half. Also one of the starters shot 3-13 and that is coming a season low for shot percentage last year. Will they be able to defend score as competition gets better?

The 5 and the 1 spot look solid. Brooks is solid, might be second team All Big10. Need a few more games for the others.

Martenelli should help but needs to get/stay healthy. Hopefully find out if Clayton/Strauss can help in the next couple of weeks as well

Hunger still struggled on defense. Niwot sure how the coaches will take that. Barely had freshmen head lights last night, moment was too big.

Not always the best 5 is the starting 5. Usually but not always. Many teams have a 6th man that is one of their top 5. I would say this year there is much more of a clear line on who the best 5 are.
NU has not started its 5 best players in any of the last 3 seasons.
Young was better than Beran, but Beran started and Young did not. Nance was a 4, Beran was also a 4. Young was a 5. Go figure.
Last year Barnhizer was our 2nd best player for the 2nd half of the Big Ten season (although Nicholson and Audige might argue). He never started a game, again because Collins felt compelled to start Beran and Berry.

So it is fair to say that Northwestern hasn't started its 5 best players for several seasons.

NU has not started its 5 best players in any of the last 3 seasons.
Young was better than Beran, but Beran started and Young did not. Nance was a 4, Beran was also a 4. Young was a 5. Go figure.
Last year Barnhizer was our 2nd best player for the 2nd half of the Big Ten season (although Nicholson and Audige might argue). He never started a game, again because Collins felt compelled to start Beran and Berry.

So it is fair to say that Northwestern hasn't started its 5 best players for several seasons.
I presume you once again did not consider the role of defense in your opinions. You even just recently showed us stats that demonstrated how we play defense relatively much better than offense; maybe that has something to do with who started? We will never have better offensive talent than other teams as a whole. Defense is the key for us and our coach has realized that for years.

I presume you once again did not consider the role of defense in your opinions. You even just recently showed us stats that demonstrated how we play defense relatively much better than offense; maybe that has something to do with who started? We will never have better offensive talent than other teams as a whole. Defense is the key for us and our coach has realized that for years.
I always consider defense in my opinions.

Why would you declare "we will never have better offensive talent than other teams as a whole"? This year's team will hopefully prove you wrong - but of course then you will credit Coach Collins offensive scheme instead of the players...

So it goes.

I will throw out my next controversial hot take: by end of non-conference, I hope either Berry improves his O or CCC experiments with Berry off the bench.

If Lang can provide 3 and D then he should replace Berry in that spot. BB at the 3 and either Mart or Mullins (I hope Mart) in the starting lineup.

If Berry needs fresh legs to arc his shot, then stop running him out of the gym. Sit the guy and let him play in spurts.

I always consider defense in my opinions.

Why would you declare "we will never have better offensive talent than other teams as a whole"? This year's team will hopefully prove you wrong - but of course then you will credit Coach Collins offensive scheme instead of the players...

So it goes.
Then in my opinion your opinions are not well substantiated about who are the better players. Beran was disappointing vs. expectations, no doubt, but he took us / would have taken us farther than if Ryan Young got more minutes. Ryan’s ability to make shifty moves in the paint for some nice buckets was more than offset by Beran’s defense/athleticism and ability to draw out the other team to the 3-point line. And even if you wanted to ignore defense and swap the 3-4 minutes between them (the difference in how much Beran played more than Young on average), any gains offensively would be largely immaterial.

And you and @IGNORE2 will never, ever admit we have always/forever had a basketball recruiting disadvantage (that far outweighs the attraction/greatness of our school academically, as you have rightfully mentioned)?

Reactions: TheC
Watched the game last night.

Minuses
  • It was a bit sloppy. With a lot of brain farts on defense. A lot. I know we forced a lot of turnovers and we can argue taking risks leads to mistakes on defense, but also to forcing turnovers. But this was a D2 team, turnovers are expected. Defense broke down constantly with screw ups on cuts, switches, etc.
  • Nicholson showed zero improvement
  • Hunger, even in garbage time, did not take advantage of the time to show he can be a part of the rotation if needed
  • Without Martinelli, our rotation is limited. Mullins seems one we can count on but that's it. Martinelli is the guy that can come in and allow Barnhizer to play 2/3 and be a part of the guard rotation

Pluses
  • None of what I said above means anything in the context of being just a game, even more so a game that does not statistically count. It does not mean much either being pre-conference. We looked quite blah last year against the likes of Brown or Purdue Fort Wayne
  • The transfers are solid, very solid. Preston is Verhoeven-esque. Very limited on offense, atrocious free throw shooting. But plays within himself, is heavy and won't be pushed around. Fills the need. Mullins is athletic, runs the floor very, very fast, and seems to not be intimidated and ready to be aggressive. Langborg keeps others on their toes. He looks hard nosed, quick release, no fear. Very hopeful he is the real deal for us this season

First impressions, against D2, rusty, etc. It is what it is. Let's do it for real Monday.

Last edited:
Personal attack, will be deleted
Then in my opinion your opinions are not well substantiated about who are the better players. Beran was disappointing vs. expectations, no doubt, but he took us / would have taken us farther than if Ryan Young got more minutes. Ryan’s ability to make shifty moves in the paint for some nice buckets was more than offset by Beran’s defense/athleticism and ability to draw out the other team to the 3-point line. And even if you wanted to ignore defense and swap the 3-4 minutes between them (the difference in how much Beran played more than Young on average), any gains offensively would be largely immaterial.

And you and @IGNORE2 will never, ever admit we have always/forever had a basketball recruiting disadvantage (that far outweighs the attraction/greatness of our school academically, as you have rightfully mentioned)?
Oh wo, such the disadvantage that different coaches have brought us into post season play quite often. Nobody expects national championships because it’s hard to compete with the recruiting advantages of Baylor, Virginia, Florida - I mean all the blue chips simply want to go there.

To even get in that game, you would have to compete with SDSt, TxTch, Wis, UoI and … BUTLER! Nobody could really expect us to compete against those big boys that can pick any bball player throughout the world and leave us with the trash. I mean, it’s simply unfair to even expect us to keep UoI u set a 100 - no way we can beat them when all the best players want to go there…

Such a self serving loser attitude.

Oh wo, such the disadvantage that different coaches have brought us into post season play quite often. Nobody expects national championships because it’s hard to compete with the recruiting advantages of Baylor, Virginia, Florida - I mean all the blue chips simply want to go there.

To even get in that game, you would have to compete with SDSt, TxTch, Wis, UoI and … BUTLER! Nobody could really expect us to compete against those big boys that can pick any bball player throughout the world and leave us with the trash. I mean, it’s simply unfair to even expect us to keep UoI u set a 100 - no way we can beat them when all the best players want to go there…

Such a self serving loser attitude.
Back to the name-calling again, which merits deletion. That attitude may be your distorted perspective on me, but what matters is my take was an indisputably correct point of view in hindsight when it was actually important about Collins’ future / value. Definitely ok with where I’m at, especially having decided to attend 4 games last year and more coming this year.

I've explained the Ryan Young thing many many times. The results speak for themselves. Duke just named Young a captain for the upcoming season. He is thriving there.

The only reason - literally the only reason - that you think Robbie Beran deserved to be playing ahead of Ryan Young is that you fear that Coach Chris Collins would look bad if everybody agreed Beran was overused.

Rabid loyalty is commendable at times but it does not foster objectivity..

As for another of your wild claims - I don't know where you get this stuff - I have said over and over that NU has advantages and disadvantages in recruiting. Academic requirements limit the pool size. The desirability of the university greatly increases the appeal within that reduced talent pool. The transfer portal for grad students is a big plus for NU. You only have to recruit 3 players a year. Target players appropriately and recruiting is not the problem that some (like you) want to make it. To me, it comes off as an excuse. I do not wish to see academic restrictions lowered further for athletes.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
I've explained the Ryan Young thing many many times. The results speak for themselves. Duke just named Young a captain for the upcoming season. He is thriving there.

The only reason - literally the only reason - that you think Robbie Beran deserved to be playing ahead of Ryan Young is that you fear that Coach Chris Collins would look bad if everybody agreed Beran was overused.

As for another of your wild claims - I don't know where you get this stuff - I have said over and over that NU has advantages and disadvantages in recruiting. Academic requirements limit the pool size. The desirability of the university greatly increases the appeal within that reduced talent pool. The transfer portal for grad students is a big plus for NU. You only have to recruit 3 players a year. Target players appropriately and recruiting is not the problem that some (like you) want to make it. To me, it comes off as an excuse. I do not wish to see academic restrictions lowered further for athletes.
The fact that by age 47, or whatever he is, Young has gained the wisdom and respect to be a captain at Duke is wonderful. It could be evidence that Young should have started here. It also could be evidence that CCC's masterful use of a lightly recruited non-starter into someone worthy of Duke was a tremendous coaching feat. It is definitive proof of neither.

As for the recruiting discussion, theory is nice and all, but history is what we have to go on. Before CCC got here NU had made the NCAAs a grand total of never. You know what other major colleges had the same futility? None. That's like a century of evidence that recruiting/winning at NU is pretty damn hard.

The fact that by age 47, or whatever he is, Young has gained the wisdom and respect to be a captain at Duke is wonderful. It could be evidence that Young should have started here. It also could be evidence that CCC's masterful use of a lightly recruited non-starter into someone worthy of Duke was a tremendous coaching feat. It is definitive proof of neither.

As for the recruiting discussion, theory is nice and all, but history is what we have to go on. Before CCC got here NU had made the NCAAs a grand total of never. You know what other major colleges had the same futility? None. That's like a century of evidence that recruiting/winning at NU is pretty damn hard.

Having proven Young's case repeatedly, I don't need to rehash it.
Having explained my disdain for the "recruiting is so hard" excuse, I don't need to rehash it. Although a friendly reminder that the athletic facilities were horrible before Collins seems to be in order.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and mesacat

I am glad he’s thriving there. He seems like a good guy. Being a captain is very cool. He played 7 minutes and 4 minutes in their two tournament games, though. Not sure that supports your argument.

As for this academic advantage Northwestern has, you greatly overestimate the value high school basketball players put on academic rankings. Lots of college basketball programs can make compelling academic arguments and there are so many more small private schools that we have to compete with in basketball than football. Butler, Marquette, Georgetown, the Ivy League schools, etc.

The simplest way to look at is that none of the players on our current roster (I don’t think) were offered by Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin or Maryland. So either those programs are bad at evaluating talent or Collins is at a huge disadvantage. It’s a little like joining a fantasy league in which you don’t get to draft in the first 6 rounds but then get all the picks in round 7. Obviously, fantasy is much easier to project but you get the idea. Not saying you can’s succeed, but it’s not going to happen with nearly the frequency of the other programs. And I know that every now and then we get a player that one of those other programs wanted. It’s just pretty rare.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT