ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting guide

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
Some other games worth watching tomorrow and Sunday as your anxiety level starts to increase:

Creighton at Butler - Creighton
Texas at Houston - Houston
Wisconsin at Iowa - Iowa
Kansas at Oklahoma - Kansas
Miami at BC - BC

Kentucky at Auburn - Auburn
Stanford at Washington St - Stanford
Georgia Southern at James Madison - Georgia Southern
Louisville at Pitt - Louisville
Colorado at USC - USC

FAU at South Florida - South Florida
Memphis at SMU - SMU
Rutgers at Minnesota - Minnesota

Utah at UCLA - UCLA

Last edited:
Some other games worth watching tomorrow and Sunday as your anxiety level starts to increase:

Wisconsin at Iowa - Iowa
Miami at BC - BC
Colorado at USC - USC
Memphis at SMU - SMU
Utah at UCLA - UCLA
Appreciate the list, but all of that’s a bit much to keep track of. I’m definitely going to fall asleep on the couch and wake up to divorce papers if I try to watch even a quarter of those games.

Can’t we just cheer for the Cats to win out and handle our own business?

Wisconsin at Iowa - Iowa
Miami at BC - BC
Colorado at USC - USC
Memphis at SMU - SMU
Utah at UCLA - UCLA
@wildcatpn : as a diehard fan, could you please provide a summary on how we’re doing?

Reactions: IGNORE2

Wisconsin at Iowa - Iowa
Miami at BC - BC
Colorado at USC - USC
Memphis at SMU - SMU
Utah at UCLA - UCLA
I’m watching NC State @ Clemson now before I retire for the evening. Both have bubble-ish records. Why weren’t they on the list?

Sorry, I’ve been too busy crying my eyes out this whole weekend with Ty being out. It’s been so devastating for us diehards.
That’s old news now. Based on the board, we’ve moved on to again being heeartbroken and enraged by the conference’s awful officiating. Also by Gragg.

But I like where your head’s at.

It looks like @CappyNU kindly provided some color coding for us. I presume green means that the desired team one to help us, but we’ll find out.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Now that we've survived today's game, looking ahead to this week:

Monday
Virginia at Robbie Beran's Virginia Tech - VT
Kansas State at Texas - Kansas State

Tuesday
Butler at Villanova - Villanova
Iowa at Michigan State - Iowa
VCU at UMass - UMass
Arkansas at Texas A&M - Arkansas

Maryland at Wisconsin - Maryland
San Jose St at Boise St - San Jose St

Wednesday
Clemson at Georgia Tech - Georgia Tech
Oklahoma St at Cincinnati - Oklahoma St
Providence at Xavier - Xavier
Indiana State at Valparaiso - Valparaiso
Nebraska at Indiana - Indiana

Thursday
SMU at Florida Atlantic - SMU
Washington State at Arizona - Arizona
Gonzaga at Portland - Portland

Al Davis said it best…
“Aside from my will to win, my commitment to excellence, the fire that burns brightest in me is the great love and enthusiasm that I have and had for the game of football and for everyone and everything connected with it. I love the game; I love the league; I love my team."?

That’s old news now. Based on the board, we’ve moved on to again being heeartbroken and enraged by the conference’s awful officiating. Also by Gragg.

But I like where your head’s at.

It looks like @CappyNU kindly provided some color coding for us. I presume green means that the desired team one to help us, but we’ll find out.
Some get more emotionally invested in the Board than in the team. Some are just emo

I'm sure combes will be along any minute now to talk about why it wasn't Hawkins' fault.

Also, would be really great if IU could decide not to suck for a night and beat the cornshuckers.

Not on the @CappyNU master list, but Dayton lost at a pretty good (?) George Mason today. I wouldn’t think that would affect the Q1 status of that NU win, but I really don’t know anything and I’ll rely on the other experts here.

Do you know what they say in Bloomington? Thank God for Ann Arbor.

Wow, the Hoosiers are pathetic.
Indiana will have lost back-to-back home games to Northwestern and Nebraska, and absolutely nobody is surprised.

The 70s and 80s were pretty fun tho.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Indiana will have lost back-to-back home games to Northwestern and Nebraska, and absolutely nobody is surprised.

The 70s and 80s were pretty fun tho.
Woodson's seat has to be on fire. Does he get through the rest of the season and the conference tourney, or is he out now like the Ohio State coach?

Apparently PSU hosted tonight's game in their old Rec Hall? How does that work?

Game Information​

Rec Hall
5:30 PM, February 21, 2024Coverage: BTN

Apparently PSU hosted tonight's game in their old Rec Hall? How does that work?

Game Information​

Rec Hall
5:30 PM, February 21, 2024Coverage: BTN
Interesting, I thought it looked strange on TV.

Rooting Guide for this weekend:

Saturday
Iowa at Illinois - Illinois. This is the biggest game of the weekend from a leverage standpoint, Iowa has very quietly started to rack up some big wins and if they nab this one, they could really enter the bubble picture and potentially come to W-R on a 4-game winning streak with a lot of momentum.
UNC at Virginia - UNC. Virginia is a real enigma of a team this year, they are definitely on the bubble, so a home loss would be helpful in pushing them down the seeding curve.
Villanova at UConn - UConn. The middle of the Big East is like a bucket of crabs trying to crawl over each other to reach the top. A UConn win helps push Nova back down.
South Carolina at Ole Miss - Ole Miss. The Gamecocks have racked up a lot of wins this year albeit with poor underlying metrics, then lost by 40 against Auburn and blew a 16-point lead at home to LSU. Their remaining schedule is pretty rough, so having them continue their slide would be a good thing for us.
Boise St at Wyoming - Wyoming. Unlikely to get this one, but would be a 2nd Q3 loss for Boise.

Sunday
Creighton at St. John's - Creighton. Pretty sure Rick Pitino took care of this one already when he threw his entire team under the bus, but just in case they still have some pride, it would be nice for Creighton to finish them off.
Ohio St at Michigan St - Ohio St. All about the double bye here.
Minnesota at Nebraska - Minnesota. Not sure how the Huskers got such a pillow-soft second half schedule, but their last two road games are against the two worst teams in the conference, albeit teams that have knocked off Purdue and Wisconsin, and their other home game is against Rutgers, who have cooled off since our game against them. Would be great if the Gophers could do us a solid here and win.

Saturday
Iowa at Illinois - Illinois. This is the biggest game of the weekend from a leverage standpoint, Iowa has very quietly started to rack up some big wins and if they nab this one, they could really enter the bubble picture and potentially come to W-R on a 4-game winning streak with a lot of momentum.
You make a good point, but someone has to do some of the work for NU. They can take care of a surging Iowa, but if Illinois wins again it's that much harder for NU to get to second place. If we care more about the double-bye than getting second, I suppose it makes sense to concede Illinois (and obviously Purdue) will get two of those four spots and therefore, go ahead and let Illinois win. On the other hand, if Iowa wins, not only does it hurt Illinois, but we get a chance to put them in their place in the second division. I like that combo better!

Cue Joe Pesci: "If you win, you win. If you lose, you still win."

Reactions: DaCat
And he traveled (missed call by the refs) right before that. Huge choke job by Hawkins and the Illini.
Didn't Shannon miss a bunch of FTs as well? They were playing pretty dumb down the stretch. When they did the replay in 60 I watched that last 4 minutes and one mistake after another

Saturday
UNC at Virginia - UNC. Virginia is a real enigma of a team this year, they are definitely on the bubble, so a home loss would be helpful in pushing them down the seeding curve.
Villanova at UConn - UConn. The middle of the Big East is like a bucket of crabs trying to crawl over each other to reach the top. A UConn win helps push Nova back down.
South Carolina at Ole Miss - Ole Miss. The Gamecocks have racked up a lot of wins this year albeit with poor underlying metrics, then lost by 40 against Auburn and blew a 16-point lead at home to LSU. Their remaining schedule is pretty rough, so having them continue their slide would be a good thing for us.
Boise St at Wyoming - Wyoming. Unlikely to get this one, but would be a 2nd Q3 loss for Boise.

Sunday
Creighton at St. John's - Creighton. Pretty sure Rick Pitino took care of this one already when he threw his entire team under the bus, but just in case they still have some pride, it would be nice for Creighton to finish them off.
Ohio St at Michigan St - Ohio St. All about the double bye here.
Minnesota at Nebraska - Minnesota. Not sure how the Huskers got such a pillow-soft second half schedule, but their last two road games are against the two worst teams in the conference, albeit teams that have knocked off Purdue and Wisconsin, and their other home game is against Rutgers, who have cooled off since our game against them. Would be great if the Gophers could do us a solid here and win.
Well Rutgers has not had the refs throwing out key opponent players recently

Reactions: lunker35
Now that we've survived today's game, looking ahead to this week:

Monday
Virginia at Robbie Beran's Virginia Tech - VT
Kansas State at Texas - Kansas State

Tuesday
Butler at Villanova - Villanova
Iowa at Michigan State - Iowa
VCU at UMass - UMass
Arkansas at Texas A&M - Arkansas

Maryland at Wisconsin - Maryland
San Jose St at Boise St - San Jose St

Wednesday
Clemson at Georgia Tech - Georgia Tech
Oklahoma St at Cincinnati - Oklahoma St
Providence at Xavier - Xavier
Indiana State at Valparaiso - Valparaiso
Nebraska at Indiana - Indiana

Thursday
SMU at Florida Atlantic - SMU
Washington State at Arizona - Arizona
Gonzaga at Portland - Portland
Not sure why you had FL Atlantic there and wanting SMU as FAU is likely to have the conference auto bid. Think would want FAU to win. Also wanting IA to win against MSU. (Ia won) Would not think we would want IA anywhere near thinking of tourney bid. MSU already probably in because they are MSU and have high NET etc. Unless you are talking just our ability to get double by. We are so thin that getting to championship game is pretty remote regardless. Would it be better to get easier game and get at least one BTT win?

Last edited:
Wow, Ohio State came from behind to beat Michigan State. The Buckeyes first lead of the game came with 11 seconds left, and they hit a buzzer beater to win it. That's a boost for NU.

I wouldn't want to play Ohio State in the conference tournament. They've found new life with the interim head coach.

Reactions: EagerFan
Not sure why you had FL Atlantic there and wanting SMU as FAU is likely to have the conference auto bid. Think would want FAU to win. Also wanting IA to win against MSU. (Ia won) Would not think we would want IA anywhere near thinking of tourney bid. MSU already probably in because they are MSU and have high NET etc. Unless you are talking just our ability to get double by. We are so thin that getting to championship game is pretty remote regardless. Would it be better to get easier game and get at least one BTT win?
I agree that we’re not built for both a conference and postseason tournament with our noted lack of depth.

If we earn a top 4 seed and bye in the BTT, then we should be good for a March Madness bid.

In which case the backups should play plentifully and our starters should be protected for the conference that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I agree that we’re not built for both a conference and postseason tournament with our noted lack of depth.

If we earn a top 4 seed and bye in the BTT, then we should be good for a March Madness bid.

In which case the backups should play plentifully and our starters should be protected for the conference that matters.
We don’t have backups. What backups do you want to play? God love em, but Mullins, Clayton and Preston would get absolutely destroyed by any team in the conference if they were playing a lot of minutes.

Riddle me this...how many games does MSU have to lose to drop in NET rankings?. Losing at home to dOSU at this stage?

Reactions: lunker35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT