ADVERTISEMENT

Running to the short side of the field.

Overly_Invested_Cat

Sep 10, 2015
Can anyone explain why we run to the short side of the field so frequently? For instance, we'll be on the left hash and then run to the left, which leaves little room. Isn't it pretty much standard to run to the wide side of the field, unless a play is meant to be deceptive?

Can anyone explain why we run to the short side of the field so frequently? For instance, we'll be on the left hash and then run to the left, which leaves little room. Isn't it pretty much standard to run to the wide side of the field, unless a play is meant to be deceptive?
DarthCat's response was somewhat succinct but true. There are many variables that determine which way any play goes. Long and short sides are one of them but not nearly as big a factor as to make it "pretty much standard." A weaker DE or slower LB is going to be much more of a factor. Even WR/CB match-ups for blocking and potential vulnerability to play action fakes are probably stronger factors. TE/LB or DE match-ups are a very big factor.

So, if something is going to be close to "pretty much standard" in this regard, it would be player match-ups.

My ignorant opinion.

For me, there was nothing quite as gut wrenching as Lovie Smith calling a jet sweep into the boundary when the situation was critical.

Usually has to do with the defensive alignment. Running predominantly to the wide side of the field would be an easy tendency to pick up on film study, which would essentially mitigate any schematic advantage.

Short or long side, I hate that slow developing crap. Only way it works is that the D is so excited that they trip over each other.

Are you referring to the outside zone?

I ask because some people tend to knock it for being less physical and or slow developing, but the concept is well suited for Justin Jackson's running style and has led to many big gains during his tenure in Evanston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT