ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from my last visit to Ryan Field

No Chores

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2006
Great game and 'Cats deserved to win! Now for the observations:

1. These kids absolutely love Braun and would run through a brick wall for him. I talked with several in the West Lot after the game and some later at Bobs Pizza. I think many will leave if he does not come back next year
2. Great game by Sully. The throw to Kirtz on the post pattern for a touchdown was terrific, and his QB rating was off the charts.
3. The defense was nothing short of inspired. Six sacks and the goal line stops inside the one were amazing.
4. I hated the play calling on our last possession. You can't run out the clock with that much time left. Gorden and Lang should have seen the ball in that possession and earlier in the game as well.
5. We finally have a real good field goal kicker..
6. Kickoffs were a comedy show and gave Maryland very good field position way too often.
7. Coco Azema is one of the best players I have seen all season on any team. He has excellent speed and hits like a truck.
8. The strip sack by Gallagher turned the game around, and how about Aiden Hubbard with 3 sacks.
9. It's difficult for a quarterback to throw a pass over Sean McLaughlin.
10. There were several baseball recruits at the game. I talked to one from Virginia at the Orrington and another on the way back to the hotel from Bob's Pizza, and I think they are both coming to NU.
11. A. J. Henning is a hell of a football player. He makes difficult catches and he's a weapon on jet sweeps when our guys block for him better on the outside like they did yesterday.
On balance, it was a really fun day to be a 'Cats fan

1. These kids absolutely love Braun and would run through a brick wall for him. I talked with several in the West Lot after the game and some later at Bobs Pizza. I think many will leave if he does not come back next year
2. Great game by Sully. The throw to Kirtz on the post pattern for a touchdown was terrific, and his QB rating was off the charts.
3. The defense was nothing short of inspired. Six sacks and the goal line stops inside the one were amazing.
4. I hated the play calling on our last possession. You can't run out the clock with that much time left. Gorden and Lang should have seen the ball in that possession and earlier in the game as well.
6. Kickoffs were a comedy show and gave Maryland very good field position way too often.
7. Coco Azema is one of the best players I have seen all season on any team. He has excellent speed and hits like a truck.
8. The strip sack by Gallagher turned the game around, and how about Aiden Hubbard with 3 sacks.
10. There were several baseball recruits at the game. I talked to one from Virginia at the Orrington and another on the way back to the hotel from Bob's Pizza, and I think they are both coming to NU.
11. A. J. Henning is a hell of a football player. He makes difficult catches and he's a weapon on jet sweeps when our guys block for him better on the outside like they did yesterday.

Agree the Gallagher fumble recovery was a key moment, but it really wasn’t a strip sack. The ball slipped out rather than being stripped.

I also noticed that Maryland was getting great field position on kickoffs. Why? Up until that game NU had been nothing special on kickoffs but also nothing bad.

Nice comments.

Azema had really stepped up this year. Like everyone on the defense, you have to wonder how much scheme was holding him back. He’s delivered some serious hits this season. The hardest hitter NU has had back there since … maybe Traveon Henry? Great athlete — there’s still a dream scenario where he sees a play or two out of the backfield :)

That play where Sullivan directed traffic, rolled left, and hit Henning sprinting downfield was a thing of beauty. The most composed that Sully looked all day, and he and Henning read each other wonderfully.

I wonder how many years we’ve had a kicker and were just hesitant to use him. Olsen was the #4 kicker in the country, per his NU bio. He was just stuck behind “afraid to kick.”

Love to hear your #1 comment. What an amazing job by Braun.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Nice comments.

Azema had really stepped up this year. Like everyone on the defense, you have to wonder how much scheme was holding him back. He’s delivered some serious hits this season. The hardest hitter NU has had back there since … maybe Traveon Henry? Great athlete — there’s still a dream scenario where he sees a play or two out of the backfield :)

That play where Sullivan directed traffic, rolled left, and hit Henning sprinting downfield was a thing of beauty. The most composed that Sully looked all day, and he and Henning read each other wonderfully.

I wonder how many years we’ve had a kicker and were just hesitant to use him. Olsen was the #4 kicker in the country, per his NU bio. He was just stuck behind “afraid to kick.”

Such a foolish comment. Olsen was injured for most of his time at NU prior to this season. He was not “stuck behind ‘afraid to kick’”.

I also noticed that Maryland was getting great field position on kickoffs. Why? Up until that game NU had been nothing special on kickoffs but also nothing bad.
The pooch kick offs were by design. The kicker was not trying to kick it deep.

Two or three times were because of unsportsmanship penalties (one was after an extra point (still cannot figure that one out)and one was for a hit at the sideline that was pretty tacky). Short kickoffs did not help and they were effective at running those short kickoffs back.

Reactions: drewjin
The pooch kick offs were by design. The kicker was not trying to kick it deep.
Correct, but it was obvious that they didn't work most of the time and Maryland got good field position as a result. The most amusing kickoff play, however, was the one where the Maryland team elected not to field it and we almost recovered.

Olsen has been instrumental this year, but don't forget he was injured before the game in Dublin. Not sure if he was completely ever healthy. If I remember correctly he missed a PAT early in the season last year.

Not that I agreed with it, but I believe the game announcers eluded to Maryland having a great return team which I suspected altered the game plan for the kick offs.

This game may also feature a block of the year candidate. Watch the highlight clip of Himon's long screen pass play. Near the end, Kirtz delivers a decleating down-field block that was very enjoyable!

Olsen has been instrumental this year, but don't forget he was injured before the game in Dublin. Not sure if he was completely ever healthy. If I remember correctly he missed a PAT early in the season last year.

Not that I agreed with it, but I believe the game announcers eluded to Maryland having a great return team which I suspected altered the game plan for the kick offs.
He had a torn muscle, he couldn’t kick last year.

Nice comments.

I have also heard the same comments from parents about the potential for a mass exodus if Braun is not retained in some capacity. The parents have sons that are prominent players and could return. Also, the disdain for Gragg may over ride the love for Braun.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin and rmndcat

Why last visit?

Why last visit?
Because I can't make it out for the Purdue game which is the last game at Ryan Field before it is torn down. Plus, my first game at Ryan Field, then Dyche Stadium, was 62 years ago as a freshman at NU, so I'm not getting any younger! Finally, it's a pain in the ass to get from Erie Pa. to Evanston Illinois in the middle of November.

Because I can't make it out for the Purdue game which is the last game at Ryan Field before it is torn down. Plus, my first game at Ryan Field, then Dyche Stadium, was 62 years ago as a freshman at NU, so I'm not getting any younger! Finally, it's a pain in the ass to get from Erie Pa. to Evanston Illinois in the middle of November.

Got it… I read it as “last visit ever,” my mistake.

The current NU leadership void is palpable. In Sacramento, you had Schill, Gragg, Fitz, etc. all there at a raucous rally. Do they do any official alumni gatherings now? I didn't see any evidence of one at Rutgers.

When we make it to the tourney in March, will they have an official event? And if so, who will be the NU host? Something needs to change and fast.

Reactions: drewjin
T

hey had a number of pretty good returns and they tried to run back almost every one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT