ADVERTISEMENT

"S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!"

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Good Vols fans here for the past few weeks, and apparently in Tampa. But those ESPN cameras should have caught them chanting "Tenn-es-see! Tenn-es-see!"

The "S-E-C" chant is for the Vandy's and Kentucky's of the world that can take pride only in the teams that beat the crap out of them. Tennessee should be better than that.

The emergence and common usage of that chant is so weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shocker0
Maybe next year we can arrange for a spelling bee?
giphy.gif

Good Vols fans here for the past few weeks, and apparently in Tampa. But that ESPN cameras should have caught them chanting "Tenn-es-see! Tenn-es-see!"

The "S-E-C" chant is for the Vandy's and Kentucky's of the world that can take pride only in the teams that beat the crap out of them. Tennessee should be better than that.

I commented on this bizarre phenomenon before the game. Sorry to see the Vols fans are still at it.

Cue up the "dumb redneck" etc lines when your team is embarrassed on a national stage. You guys have always been irrelevant, even when you win 10 games in a season (you know it's true and that's why you resort to these threads).

There are some UT fans chanting SEC just as there are some NU fans chanting (on here at least) SAT, neither means anything to the game of football being played. I think both teams fans are, for the most part, good fans. Some will say and do some stupid things I guess.

Cue up the "dumb redneck" etc lines when your team is embarrassed on a national stage. You guys have always been irrelevant, even when you win 10 games in a season (you know it's true and that's why you resort to these threads).
What are you responding to here? We just said the chant is dumb. Isn't it?

Why are you guys blaming Tennessee fans for them exposing how crappy our offense really is? It could have been anybody. It would make no difference. We have half a team. I wonder of McCall will give back his salary or Fitz will give half of his back.

It doesn't play well for NU to start this poor loser thread about academics. It's in the same standard school of "we'll get 'em in the parking lot". Tennessee and Northwestern just played in a football game that many on the Northwestern site proclaimed would be a big beat down of the unranked Vols. Stay on task and understand that deflecting the conversation to academics speaks only to your envy of Vol football and your ignorance of southern academic institutions.

It doesn't play well for NU to start this poor loser thread about academics. It's in the same standard school of "we'll get 'em in the parking lot". Tennessee and Northwestern just played in a football game that many on the Northwestern site proclaimed would be a big beat down of the unranked Vols. Stay on task and understand that deflecting the conversation to academics speaks only to your envy of Vol football and your ignorance of southern academic institutions.

Man, one stupid spelling bee joke and you get all bent out of shape. I for one never thought the Cats would beat down the Vols. Quite the opposite, I thought we had a chance to keep it close but would likely get spanked.

As for acedemics, I am a proud NU graduate, nothing wrong with that. I think UT is also a fine acedemic institution.

Right now I am drowing my sorrows in a few beers after the beat down and messing with some Vol fans on this board because the Rose bowl is all but over.

Good game and congrats to all Vol fans, like I said I another post, beat Bama next year, we both hate them.

Why are you guys blaming Tennessee fans for them exposing how crappy our offense really is? It could have been anybody. It would make no difference. We have half a team. I wonder of McCall will give back his salary or Fitz will give half of his back.

Very fair assessment. The Vols are actually actually in a similar spot in terms of their QB play. Dobbs is a poor passer, which limits the Vols. The running game is elite, but the passing game has a lot of catching up to do.

Tennessee and Northwestern just played in a football game that many on the Northwestern site proclaimed would be a big beat down of the unranked Vols.

"Many"? I'm not sure anyone predicted a big beat down, but I guess I didn't read every single thread. NU is not built for beat downs. I'm sure many were confident NU could win (after all this IS an NU fan board), but most people watching NU all year wouldn't make that prediction.

Congrats on the thrashing. UT beat NU in all phases of game and there wasn't even any stupid excuses like zebras or injuries to blame the outcome on. Good luck next year.

Going back to the OP, we all know how the rest of the country is and has been making a big deal over the SEC dominance of the National championship scene in football. Even a reporter during bowl week interviewed your coach, who is a class guy and great friends with Butch Jones, and mockingly mentioned "the big bad SEC" in the interview. You guys may not realize it, but the SEC has a target on its back, so it's not unlikely that such a chant should materialize . Other teams have shown similar conference pride when their team wins against the SEC. So now you know.

Are butt hurt Northwestern fans really crutching back on "yeah, but we are a good educational institute!!" Hahaha. We play Vandy every year and beat their brakes off too. We are familiar with that whole "plan B: talk about SAT scores" thing. I said before the game it felt like we were playing Vandy but in purple uniforms. After the game, that thought was proven to be justified. Have fun with those "yeah but!!" responses that have nothing to do with getting man handled today. Or, take the loss like a man (I see some have chosen that path. Good job.)

Either way, it won't wipe the smile off Vol fans' faces. We will take the W. You can have the "yeah buts".

Conference pride is stupid and makes no sense

"SEC SEC" came from about 25% of UT fans and only lasted for about 5 seconds......twice that I heard. None of the UT fans around me participated in that garbage. When it was announced that Michigan was beating FL, the TN fans cheered loudly. On the other hand, Northwestern fans might as well have been chanting for their conference. They excitedly cheered when it was announced that Ohio St and Michigan were winning! Sounds like the fans in purple are hung up on conference pride, not the fans in orange. Last night, all the UT fans I know were rooting for the Spartans. I'd be willing to bet the Wildcat fans were too....

Reactions: LenoxVol
They excitedly cheered when it was announced that Ohio St and Michigan were winning!

Though I was rooting for the meteor, I think most people like to root against Notre Dame, even if they have to (shudder) root for Ohio State in the process.

Reactions: ahw1182
I'm with you on that smelly! Not sure what to do in that match up. Makes me long for the days of ties where they both lose something.

U
Southern academic institutions? Now that's funny.

Are butt hurt Northwestern fans really crutching back on "yeah, but we are a good educational institute!!" Hahaha. We play Vandy every year and beat their brakes off too. We are familiar with that whole "plan B: talk about SAT scores" thing. I said before the game it felt like we were playing Vandy but in purple uniforms. After the game, that thought was proven to be justified. Have fun with those "yeah but!!" responses that have nothing to do with getting man handled today. Or, take the loss like a man (I see some have chosen that path. Good job.)

Either way, it won't wipe the smile off Vol fans' faces. We will take the W. You can have the "yeah buts".

And yet another nonsensical post.....These things are gold. Kinda like when SNL writers get gifts from certain presidential candidates.

Good Vols fans here for the past few weeks, and apparently in Tampa. But those ESPN cameras should have caught them chanting "Tenn-es-see! Tenn-es-see!"

I agree completely! As a Vol fan, I heard it and rolled my eyes and didn't participate. It's so cheesy and stupid. A Tenn-e-ssee chant would've been pretty cool. The funny thing to me was people were chanting S-E-C and then they announced that Michigan was having their way with Florida in the Citrus Bowl and the crowd erupted into cheers haha. Even conference pride takes a back seat when ANYBODY is beating Florida

I was all about conference pride until a few years ago when I realized "wait...why am I cheering for OUR RIVALS to beat up on other teams when they are kicking our a$$es as well?" It certainly doesn't help us very much if we're getting beat by our conference teams and they take recruits/money from us in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT