ADVERTISEMENT

NU not as good as Iowa, Wisconsin and Rutgers?

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I don't buy it.

I can’t blame the media for not having much pre-season faith in Collins and the Cats. However, I don’t think they’re looking at the reality of the middle tier of the B10 compared to the Cats. I understand NU’s not going to be mentioned with Michigan, Purdue, the f-ing Illini, OSU, Maryland and Michigan State.

But once you get beyond that, NU can play with the group of Rutgers, Wisconsin and Iowa with even the slightest improvement. I don’t think it will take a lot.

And at least one of those teams is going to be a tournament team.

I’ve only seen a few season previews, but NU is clearly predicted below this group. The one exception is the ESPN preview highlighted out here.

Also, I hope NBA Mike Woodson doesn’t know what he’s doing, and IU drops into this group. No telling what they're going to do. However, to balance that idea, I think it’s fair to guess Hoiberg is starting to get his stuff together in Nebraska like he did at Iowa State. Maybe they will join the Iowa, Rutgers and Wisconsin group.

Take a deep look at Iowa, Wisconsin and Rutgers. I don’t buy that the Cats aren’t in the neighborhood with this bunch. And with a more consistent Buie and Nance as well as a third someone simply shooting 35% from 3, well ... that's more than a slight improvement.

Iowa
Returning starters -
Bohannon 10 p/g, C. McCaffrey 3 p/g.

We should probably add Keegan Murray even though he wasn’t a starter – 7.2 p/g, 5.1 r/g

Impact new guys - 0 top 100s. They have a 6-9, 222 F transfer from North Dakota, Filip Rebraca, 16.8 p/g, 7.6 r/g (23 pts, 6 r vs Minn … 11 pts, 6 r vs. Drake, 8pts, 9 r vs. ORU)

20-21 Conference Defense – 71.9 p/g, 41% opponent FG

Losses - Garza, Wieskamp, Frederick

“Needs three newcomers to produce immediately upfront.”

Wisconsin

Returning starters
- F-ing cheapshot Davison is avoiding his overseas career for another year – 10 p/g. His 1300 points is more than all of his teammates combined

Tyler Wahl will probably be the next typical Wisconsin big guy – 5.2 p/g, 4.3 r/g.

Impact new guys - Cinn 7-1 transfer Chris Vogt averaged 11 p/g, 5 r/g in 19-20 before a torn labrum last year.

Jahcobi Neath is a 6-3, 200 transfer from Wake Forest – 3.8 p/g

Chucky Hepburn is their top recruit. Chris Hodges did not play in 2020 due to COVID. 0 top 100s

20-21 Conference Defense – 66.1 p/g, 44% opponent FG

Losses - Trice, Potter, Reuvers, Ford, Anderson and another guy who lives down the hall from them at the retirement community.

“A bright spot here is sophomore Jonathan Davis.”

“Steven Crowl couldn’t crack the rotation last year, but Gard sees huge things in his future as the next Badgers nig man who’s equally effective inside and outside.”

Rutgers

Returning starters
– Harper, Jr. 14.9 p/g, Mulcahy 5.9 p/g, Geo Baker 10.4 p/g

6-11 Omoryuri is not a returning starter, but he was a top-50 recruit in ’20. From the Athletic: “This team could make more noise than an eighth-place finish if Cliff Omoruyi takes a big step forward as a sophomore.”

Impact new guys - 0 top 100s. LSU transfer Aundre Hyatt played 15 minutes a game in Baton Rouge.

Losses – Boy, did the portal screw Rutgers! They would have had three other players returning with 20+ minutes/game in the conference. Jacob Young (28.6 m/g, 14.2 p/g) hit the road for Nike U. Montez Mathis (20.2 m/g) went to St. John’s and Myles Johnson (25.6 m/g) left for UCLA. Ouch.

Outside of Harper, Baker, Mulcahy, Omoryuri and Caleb McConnell, the next most experienced returning player played six mins/game. But with Jaden Jones, I get the feeling Rutgers might be at the top of this B10 middle tier. I don’t see Baker and Harper being outplayed by any two other guards from any these teams.

20-21 Conference Defense – 68.6 p/g, 43% opponent FG

I agree. We should be up there with those teams. If CC doesn’t screw it up.

But my gut tells me Indiana is going to be really solid this year. I’ll go puke now.

But my gut tells me Indiana is going to be really solid this year. I’ll go puke now.
Should be more worried that "Admissions" will screw it up.

Look, if kids cheat in high school or can't meet the modified academic standards for athletes to get into NU, its a disservice to the other students to allow them in. Period.

And obviously Chris Collins screws things up too often (like "all of last year"). The "fit a square peg into a round hole" coaching method just has not been successful.

Collins can recruit, but he has also been dealt a pretty good hand. Beyond that, he's is clearly "bottom third" as a Big Ten coach.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Really confused as to what admissions has to do with a discussion on whether CC might screw up this season or not. Roster is set.

Should we be worried admissions is gonna come on the court and pull players from a game? Retroactively revoke Pete Nance’s admission?

Really confused as to what admissions has to do with a discussion on whether CC might screw up this season or not. Roster is set.

Should we be worried admissions is gonna come on the court and pull players from a game? Retroactively revoke Pete Nance’s admission?
That could happen.

The Torvik projections put us in the top 50 (barely) and No. 8 in the conference, basically in the same tier as the teams mentioned in the OP. Kopp is not that big a loss especially if Berry takes advantage of more minutes. Young is a very good situational player and Nance and Beran can get a lot better. Throw in some contributions from Roper and Simmons, and we should be at minimum a watchable team that makes the NIT.

I don't buy it.

I can’t blame the media for not having much pre-season faith in Collins and the Cats. However, I don’t think they’re looking at the reality of the middle tier of the B10 compared to the Cats. I understand NU’s not going to be mentioned with Michigan, Purdue, the f-ing Illini, OSU, Maryland and Michigan State.

But once you get beyond that, NU can play with the group of Rutgers, Wisconsin and Iowa with even the slightest improvement. I don’t think it will take a lot.

And at least one of those teams is going to be a tournament team.

I’ve only seen a few season previews, but NU is clearly predicted below this group. The one exception is the ESPN preview highlighted out here.

Also, I hope NBA Mike Woodson doesn’t know what he’s doing, and IU drops into this group. No telling what they're going to do. However, to balance that idea, I think it’s fair to guess Hoiberg is starting to get his stuff together in Nebraska like he did at Iowa State. Maybe they will join the Iowa, Rutgers and Wisconsin group.

Take a deep look at Iowa, Wisconsin and Rutgers. I don’t buy that the Cats aren’t in the neighborhood with this bunch. And with a more consistent Buie and Nance as well as a third someone simply shooting 35% from 3, well ... that's more than a slight improvement.

Iowa
Returning starters -
Bohannon 10 p/g, C. McCaffrey 3 p/g.

We should probably add Keegan Murray even though he wasn’t a starter – 7.2 p/g, 5.1 r/g

Impact new guys - 0 top 100s. They have a 6-9, 222 F transfer from North Dakota, Filip Rebraca, 16.8 p/g, 7.6 r/g (23 pts, 6 r vs Minn … 11 pts, 6 r vs. Drake, 8pts, 9 r vs. ORU)

20-21 Conference Defense – 71.9 p/g, 41% opponent FG

Losses - Garza, Wieskamp, Frederick

“Needs three newcomers to produce immediately upfront.”

Wisconsin

Returning starters
- F-ing cheapshot Davison is avoiding his overseas career for another year – 10 p/g. His 1300 points is more than all of his teammates combined

Tyler Wahl will probably be the next typical Wisconsin big guy – 5.2 p/g, 4.3 r/g.

Impact new guys - Cinn 7-1 transfer Chris Vogt averaged 11 p/g, 5 r/g in 19-20 before a torn labrum last year.

Jahcobi Neath is a 6-3, 200 transfer from Wake Forest – 3.8 p/g

Chucky Hepburn is their top recruit. Chris Hodges did not play in 2020 due to COVID. 0 top 100s

20-21 Conference Defense – 66.1 p/g, 44% opponent FG

Losses - Trice, Potter, Reuvers, Ford, Anderson and another guy who lives down the hall from them at the retirement community.

“A bright spot here is sophomore Jonathan Davis.”

“Steven Crowl couldn’t crack the rotation last year, but Gard sees huge things in his future as the next Badgers nig man who’s equally effective inside and outside.”

Rutgers

Returning starters
– Harper, Jr. 14.9 p/g, Mulcahy 5.9 p/g, Geo Baker 10.4 p/g

6-11 Omoryuri is not a returning starter, but he was a top-50 recruit in ’20. From the Athletic: “This team could make more noise than an eighth-place finish if Cliff Omoruyi takes a big step forward as a sophomore.”

Impact new guys - 0 top 100s. LSU transfer Aundre Hyatt played 15 minutes a game in Baton Rouge.

Losses – Boy, did the portal screw Rutgers! They would have had three other players returning with 20+ minutes/game in the conference. Jacob Young (28.6 m/g, 14.2 p/g) hit the road for Nike U. Montez Mathis (20.2 m/g) went to St. John’s and Myles Johnson (25.6 m/g) left for UCLA. Ouch.

Outside of Harper, Baker, Mulcahy, Omoryuri and Caleb McConnell, the next most experienced returning player played six mins/game. But with Jaden Jones, I get the feeling Rutgers might be at the top of this B10 middle tier. I don’t see Baker and Harper being outplayed by any two other guards from any these teams.

20-21 Conference Defense – 68.6 p/g, 43% opponent FG
Maybe, but they are nowhere near the top 6. So 8-9 seems best case. Maybe not 13-14 like all the pundits predict.

Maybe, but they are nowhere near the top 6. So 8-9 seems best case. Maybe not 13-14 like all the pundits predict.
I don't think six or seven is out of the question. But it's going to take some drastic, CONSISTENT improvement by Buie, Audige, Nance and somebody who isn't on our radar for that tier right now ... somebody who comes out of nowhere to play defense and be a reasonable scoring threat.

I don't think six or seven is out of the question. But it's going to take some drastic, CONSISTENT improvement by Buie, Audige, Nance and somebody who isn't on our radar for that tier right now ... somebody who comes out of nowhere to play defense and be a reasonable scoring threat.
I took a look at Bart Torvik's stats for the 'Cats last year, and Buie specifically jumped out, which should be no surprise. In games where he had an offensive rating of 100 or more, we were 8-1. In all other games, we were 0-14. Buie was the engine of the team last year, and if we want to improve, it starts with him.

With Audige, he had a lot of games last year with great individual stats, but the team's play generally suffered when he was playing. He needs to find a way to better integrate himself within the flow of the game if he's going to improve (and also make your damn FTs).

I think Berry takes a big step forward this year, he was starting to put it together before his dad passed away, and I think he & Audige can make a formidable defensive tandem up top.

I actually think it’s totally fair to predict NU being as good as Iowa or Wisconsin. However, I’m kind of high on Rutgers, and I think they’re largely undervalued.

Based on past performance, there is no basis for the media to believe Northwestern is going to do much in the B1G. Win, and that perception will change.

I have always just hoped that they would be competitive with the middle pack in the B1G. Maybe we are there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT