ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule the rest of the way

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I hope this chart looks ok. In case you were wondering who was playing, when, and where, among the teams competing with Northwestern for seeding in the Big Ten, here you go. I only included teams with seven or more wins, as I hope teams with six wins just aren't going to catch NU at this point.

Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan St.
17-3
14-6
12-8
12-8
11-9
10-10
10-10
2/20
Maryland (W)
at Michigan St. (W)
Iowa (L)
2/21
at Penn St. (L)
at Indiana (W)
2/22
Rutgers (W)
Michigan (W)
2/24
Iowa (W)
at Illinois (L)
2/25
at Michigan (W)
Minnesota (W)
Ohio St. (L)
2/27
at Indiana (L)
Penn St. (W)
2/28
Minnesota (W)
at Maryland (W)
2/29
at Ohio St. (L)
3/2
Michigan St. (W)
at Wisconsin (W)
Iowa (L)
Illinois (L)
at Northwestern (W)
at Purdue (L)
3/3
Rutgers (W)
3/5
at Illinois (W)
Purdue (L)
3/6
at Michigan St. (L)
Northwestern (W)
3/7
Rutgers (W)
3/9
Minnesota (W)
3/10
Wisconsin (W)
at Iowa (W)
at Michigan (W)
at Purdue (L)
Illinois (L)
at Indiana (L)

Last edited:
I hope this chart looks ok. In case you were wondering who was playing, when, and where, among the teams competing with Northwestern for seeding in the Big Ten, here you go. I only included teams with seven or more wins, as I hope teams with six wins just aren't going to catch NU at this point.

Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan St.
Northwestern
Nebraska
Minnesota
Iowa
12-3
10-4
9-6
9-6
9-6
8-7
7-7
7-8
2/20
Maryland
Iowa
at Michigan St.
2/21
at Penn St.
at Indiana
2/22
Rutgers
Michigan
Ohio St.
2/24
Iowa
at Illinois
2/25
at Michigan
Ohio St.
Minnesota
at Nebraska
2/27
at Indiana
Penn St.
2/28
Minnesota
at Maryland
at Illinois
2/29
at Ohio St.
3/2
Michigan St.
at Wisconsin
Illinois
at Purdue
Iowa
Penn St.
at Northwestern
3/3
Rutgers
3/5
at Illinois
Purdue
3/6
Northwestern
at Michigan St.
Indiana
3/7
Rutgers
3/9
Minnesota
at NU
3/10
Wisconsin
at Iowa
at Purdue
at Indiana
at Michigan
Illinois
Thanks for putting this together. Very helpful.

Pretty interesting that Purdue gets the current #2, #3 and #4 to close out the season.

If Nebraska were any good on the road I’d say they have one of the easier paths.

If NU locks it down at home and steals a road win against Maryland they’ll certainly be sitting pretty in the conference standings.

Seems like of the top 4, Wisconsin most likely to falter down the stretch.

Pretty interesting that Purdue gets the current #2, #3 and #4 to close out the season.

If Nebraska were any good on the road I’d say they have one of the easier paths.

If NU locks it down at home and steals a road win against Maryland they’ll certainly be sitting pretty in the conference standings.

Seems like of the top 4, Wisconsin most likely to falter down the stretch.
Yeah, the "good" teams play other good teams, while NU has just Michigan State on the road.

I think if the home team holds serve in every game except Purdue wins in Champaign (not unreasonable), it's a four-way tie for second place at 12-8.

If that happens, here's what the seeding tiebreaker site says:

1. Purdue (16 - 4)
2. Wisconsin (12 - 8) Above Illinois, N'western, and Mich St based on round-robin record (4-0).
3. N'western (12 - 8) With Illinois, above Mich St and below Wisconsin based on round-robin record (2-3). Above Illinois based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (1-1).
4. Illinois (12 - 8) With N'western, above Mich St and below Wisconsin based on round-robin record (2-3). Below N'western based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (0-2).
5. Mich St (12 - 8) Below Wisconsin, Illinois, and N'western based on round-robin record (2-4).

The match-up at Maryland is the most interesting one ahead of us. The positives are that we'll have some extra rest, and Maryland hasn't been as dominant at home as they have in recent years. The worry is that Young seems to take it personally that Boo is considered the best guard in the conference. He's had some great games against us the last two years.

Winning probabilities for remaining schedule:
MI - 83.9%
@MD - 37.8%
IA - 70.3%
@MSU - 17.7%
MN - 76.5%

I say we win out at home and we win @MD. 13-7 baby
From your fingers to the basketball gods!!

I wish I could have that much confidence in the Iowa game. Psycho Fran and the Hawks scare the hell out of me. It feels like PF owns CC. Some 6-6 white guy will shoot lights out against the Cats.

But three wins - somehow, some way - and they're in!!

The match-up at Maryland is the most interesting one ahead of us. The positives are that we'll have some extra rest, and Maryland hasn't been as dominant at home as they have in recent years. The worry is that Young seems to take it personally that Boo is considered the best guard in the conference. He's had some great games against us the last two years.
Based on the ticket prices in the secondary market it looks like the Maryland game will not be well attended.

Based on the ticket prices in the secondary market it looks like the Maryland game will not be well attended.
Maryland has games at Wisconsin and Rutgers between now and the NU game. Lose both (and they're likely unfavored in both), and they're pretty much dead. Fans probably not coming out for a weeknight game against NU for a 14-14 12th-place Maryland team.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatoLouco
Maryland has games at Wisconsin and Rutgers between now and the NU game. Lost both (and they're likely unfavored in both), and they're pretty much dead. Fans probably not coming out for a weeknight game against NU for a 14-14 12th-place Maryland team.

It’s too bad. Last year’s environment was fantastic, one you could appreciate even as they killed us.

None of the remaining games are locks. Even MichiGag can go off on a given night
(Beat Wisc) and our guys are probably tired. Hold serve at home.
While obviously this is true, Michigan was not on the road for that Wisconsin game. It’s hard to get road wins, and W-R is no exception.

Michigan is a different team at home right now with McDaniel playing. We are fortunate his road suspension ends after the game on Thursday. After watching us lose to Chicago State, I consider no game to be a lock.

1 game back from 2nd. 0.5 games back from 3rd.

06ed1273-e811-4d68-997a-c7a3136ee3e5_text.gif

Seems to me I can remember the Cats blowing a big late lead to Illinois back in the Carmody days with another pretty good team that fell just short of dancing. It was a sickening feeling to watch joyous Illinois fans chanting ILL-INI as they left Welsh Ryan.

Seems to me I can remember the Cats blowing a big late lead to Illinois back in the Carmody days with another pretty good team that fell just short of dancing. It was a sickening feeling to watch joyous Illinois fans chanting ILL-INI as they left Welsh Ryan.
How masochistic do you feel today?

So Nebraska seems to be in the loop now and have a shot at second place if Illinois falters. Four games left, and none of the opponents are scary (the two road games are against the two worst teams in the conference). Their path to 13 wins is pretty clear. Root hard for Minnesota to take them out Sunday, as Northwestern will have a chance to stem any momentum from the Gophers at the end of the season.

Iowa is at Illinois tomorrow, and it may be time to take Hawkeyes seriously if they pull the upset. If Illinois wins as expected, Iowa will likely be very desperate when they come to Welsh-Ryan.

As much as it pains me to say, I'm rooting for Purdue to win the rest here, as they have games against our three biggest rivals down the stretch. Let them do our dirty work!

Meanwhile, let's rest up and then keep winning after the long break.

Last edited:
Agreed on Purdue winning out and Nebraska having the easiest path to second place. Cats winning at Maryland would be a very big deal because that game at MSU is going to be brutal - both teams have so much on the line.

Reactions: SmellyCat
It's going to be an exciting finish down to the wire to be in the top four of the B1G. I'll also reluctantly root for Purdue, and hope we can win out to repeat our second place finish of a year ago.

March 2 looks like the most important date on the calendar for the teams vying for double-byes:

Iowa at Northwestern
Michigan State at Purdue
Illinois at Wisconsin

We should know a lot after that day.

That was the day I realized I let this team impact my mood too much lol

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
That was the day I realized I let this team impact my mood too much lol
We've all either had that day or will someday have that day. It comes for all of us.

For me it was the 2013 Ohio State football game.

We've all either had that day or will someday have that day. It comes for all of us.

For me it was the 2013 Ohio State football game.
For me it was the entire 2019, 2021, and 2022 football seasons. I survived the Dark Ages as a student, but expectations made all the difference on how all that losing affected me. Hopefully Braun has ushered in a new golden age of NU football.

Reactions: IGNORE2
My memory fades, but I think we also had a late game (maybe BTT) where we missed a layup that would have won the game, and probably got us to the dance. Against MN maybe?

Reactions: NTCAT
My memory fades, but I think we also had a late game (maybe BTT) where we missed a layup that would have won the game, and probably got us to the dance. Against MN maybe?
I remember that loss to Minnesota was very disappointing. But let's focus on the present!

Yes, 2012 IIRC. Jershonn Cobb missed the lay up on a 50-50 bounce. Brutal.

For me it was the entire 2019, 2021, and 2022 football seasons. I survived the Dark Ages as a student, but expectations made all the difference on how all that losing affected me. Hopefully Braun has ushered in a new golden age of NU football.
We need to attend a game together. I think you would be great to converse with - my old rant nemesis.

We need to attend a game together. I think you would be great to converse with - my old rant nemesis.
I would love to catch a remaining game this year, and definitely looking at the Big Dance.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The Big Ten schedule forward is pretty interesting.
Smelly's table at the top of the thread is great!

Illinois (11-5) hosts Minnesota, plays at Wisconsin, hosts Purdue and then at Iowa.
Wisconsin (10-7) hosts Illinois, hosts Rutgers, plays at Purdue
Nebraska (10-7) plays at Ohio State, hosts Rutgers, then at Michigan
Michigan State (9-8) plays at Purdue, hosts NU, then at Indiana.
Minnesota (8-8) plays at Illinois, hosts Penn State and Indiana, then plays at NU.
Iowa (9-9) plays at NU, has a break, then hosts Illinois
Northwestern (10-6) plays at Maryland, hosts Iowa, plays at MSU, then hosts Minnesota.

There are a bunch of critical games. Unfortunately for NU, Iowa faces a must-win game in Evanston.
Michigan State will probably be 9-9 and desperate when NU rolls into East Lansing.
Minnesota seems likely to be 10-9 and desperate when they play their season finale in Evanston.

Nebraska and Illinois should get at least 12 wins, with Illinois maybe even getting to 14, but they close with 3 challenging games.
Wisconsin should be either 12-8 or 11-9.
It looks like quite a few teams could end up at 11-9, with fingers crossed.
We do not want to be one of them.

There is a high potential for another chaotic final standings situation this year. As of right now 9 teams are still able to get the double bye. Some possibilities:

A 7-way tie for 2nd place at 11-9, where Wisconsin is the 2nd seed, Iowa 3rd, Illinois 6th, NU 7th and MSU 8th
A 7-way tie for 3rd place at 10-10, where Iowa is the 4th seed and NU is 9th
A 5-way tie for 4th place at 10-10, where NU is the 3rd seed, Rutgers is 4th, and MSU is 8th, along with a 4-way tie for 9th place at 9-11, where Iowa is 12th
A 6-way tie for 4th place at 10-10, where NU is the 3rd seed, Iowa is 4th, Penn State is 5th, Wisconsin is 8th, MSU is 11th and Maryland is 13th
A 6-way tie for 5th place at 10-10, where Iowa is the 5th seed, Rutgers 6th, and NU 10th.
An 8-way tie for 6th place at 9-11, where Indiana is the 6th seed, OSU is 9th and Rutgers is 13th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT