ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for NU-Creighton

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Creighton just blitzed NU in the first half, scoring 51 points on 56% shooting. We though Marcus Foster was the guy to worry about, but freshman Ty-Shon Alexander was the real assassin, scoring 11 points on 4-6 shooting, including 3-4 from distance. The Blue Jays got layups and easy shots whenever they wanted and had 28 points in the paint. Creighton's bench is outscoring NU's 25-2. All things considered, NU has to feel fortunate down just eight at the half.

BMac kept them in the game with 14 points and five assists. Skelly has 7 and Law 6. Losing Lindsey to foul trouble really hurt -- he played just 10 minutes and had 5 points.

I don't think NU can win a 100-point game, which is the pace Creighton is on. They need to slow the pace. They are hitting shots -- 47% -- but the defense has been terrible. Creighton got points off switches, the pick-and-roll and just plain dribble-driving past a defender.

I was shocked at just how bad the D was in the first half. So many plays where the Jays just blew past the NU D or shot a layup over them or just finding an open shot. I hope that gets tightened up, and fast.

I was shocked at just how bad the D was in the first half. So many plays where the Jays just blew past the NU D or shot a layup over them or just finding an open shot. I hope that gets tightened up, and fast.

Right. About 5-6 possessions where it was like NBA vs JV.

Loved the chest bump from Gaines after Law's three. Good to see the new guy getting in there with one of the veteran leaders. Not afraid.

Pet peeve: when the announcer says, "you can't play defense any better than that" when the D gave up the points anyway. I think you can play a LITTLE better.

Reactions: Fitz51
Vic Law, ladies and gentleman, scored 12 points in the first 3:33 of the second half, including three 3s. He was a one-man scoring run.

NU is in a bind now. Lindsey and Pardon both have four fouls and there's still 8 minutes left. They have to survive. NU's bench still has just two points (Creighton's has 32). Benson and Gaines (and Ash or Brown if Collins plays them) needs to hold down the fort over these next few minutes.

Someone made a point the other day about lack of depth versus last season. The bench scoring disparity in this game is exhibit A.

That's probably the ball game. They hit shots down the stretch and we didn't.

NU is in a bind now. Lindsey and Pardon both have four fouls and there's still 8 minutes left. They have to survive. NU's bench still has just two points (Creighton's has 32). Benson and Gaines (and Ash or Brown if Collins plays them) needs to hold down the fort over these next few minutes.

Creighton very impressive. Easy team to root for when this one is over. They do so many things well. Must be a fun team to coach.

That call may lose us the game. These refs should lose their jobs. Law clearly saved that ball

Second shot put backs have killed the Cats all night. Right after officials give Birds a game changing gift on the OOB possession.

I simply don’t understand how they did not reverse that call. It was not even debatable. The refs were worse than rookie league

Creighton *was* good. Let's hope they're great and this loss doesn't look so bad.

Reactions: Fitz51
I simply don’t understand how they did not reverse that call. It was not even debatable. The refs were worse than rookie league
They said the ball hit out of bounds after Law blocked the shot, before Law grabbed the ball and tossed it back in. I just looked at the replay several times, and never got a good look at the ball when it landed. It might have been a good call.

Reactions: nuwildfan2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT