ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for NU-Illinois

NU has never had two top 100 players on the same roster before? Hmmmmm...

Is this going to be one of those "new math" counts where Barrett Benson was a "top 100 recruit?" Or is it the recruits currently rated 180 and 300 nationally by the one major service and only three-star players by the other?

This is the kind of manufactured reality (and history) I reference.

Is this going to be one of those "new math" counts where Barrett Benson was a "top 100 recruit?" Or is it the recruits currently rated 180 and 300 nationally by the one major service and only three-star players by the other?

Carmody sucks.

Maybe I’m dumb, but which rosters from the past are you thinking had multiple players rated top 100 in the nation?

Benson was 118 on rivals and 151 on 247, so don’t think anyone is making that case.

Right off the top of my head: Joe Harmsen and Evan Eschmeyer in the mid to late 90s. Harmsen was top 50 in some rankings at the time and when Eschmeyer was a senior, Bob Gibbons had him as a top 50 player. Gibbons was THE recruiting guru at the for many years.

Another example: Jitim Young and Ben Johnson.

Another example: JerShon Cobb and Drew Crawford.

The issue here is people like you bloviating and throwing out declarations when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Right off the top of my head: Joe Harmsen and Evan Eschmeyer in the mid to late 90s. Harmsen was top 50 in some rankings at the time and when Eschmeyer was a senior, Bob Gibbons had him as a top 50 player. Gibbons was THE recruiting guru at the for many years.

Another example: Jitim Young and Ben Johnson.

Another example: JerShon Cobb and Drew Crawford.

The issue here is people like you bloviating and throwing out declarations when you have no idea what you're talking about.
Can you provide links on those?

Drew Crawford doesn’t register as a nationally ranked player on Rivals. Cobb came in at 103.

Honestly don’t know about the others but is your argument that we had more talent back then? Next year we will have 4 top 100 on the roster....is that not more than ever before?

Reactions: DaCat
Maybe I’m dumb, but which rosters from the past are you thinking had multiple players rated top 100 in the nation?

Benson was 118 on rivals and 151 on 247, so don’t think anyone is making that case.

Can you provide links on those?

Drew Crawford doesn’t register as a nationally ranked player on Rivals. Cobb came in at 103.

Honestly don’t know about the others but is your argument that we had more talent back then? Next year we will have 4 top 100 on the roster....is that not more than ever before?

There are not four on the roster next year. You only produce that, as I said, by doing the "new math," where no. 180 is actually no. 80 and so forth. The usual games I've observed here.

I'm willing to admit if Crawford was not a consensus top 100 player, but I certainly recall him appearing in at least one top 100 list.

NU team I recall with the most talent? Probably when they had Shurna, Coble, Thompson, et al. NU rarely has guys who can create offense off the dribble, but they actually had some guys then who could do that. No, this year's team does not have that talent and next year's will be worse because the job did not get done recruiting. More guys with less than spectacular recruiting lists and rankings in that 150-300 range. That's a big letdown after getting some really good prospects in Nance and Kopp (and Lathon at one point). This type of class won't get it done. You can't label every recruit in that range a "sleeper" and a player all the big boys missed. It doesn't work like that. Inexcusable not to be seriously upgrading athleticism with all of Chicago right outside the front door. Many programs would kill for that sort of local recruiting environment.

There are not four on the roster next year. You only produce that, as I said, by doing the "new math," where no. 180 is actually no. 80 and so forth. The usual games I've observed here.

I'm willing to admit if Crawford was not a consensus top 100 player, but I certainly recall him appearing in at least one top 100 list.

NU team I recall with the most talent? Probably when they had Shurna, Coble, Thompson, et al. NU rarely has guys who can create offense off the dribble, but they actually had some guys then who could do that. No, this year's team does not have that talent and next year's will be worse because the job did not get done recruiting. More guys with less than spectacular recruiting lists and rankings in that 150-300 range. That's a big letdown after getting some really good prospects in Nance and Kopp (and Lathon at one point). This type of class won't get it done. You can't label every recruit in that range a "sleeper" and a player all the big boys missed. It doesn't work like that. Inexcusable not to be seriously upgrading athleticism with all of Chicago right outside the front door. Many programs would kill for that sort of local recruiting environment.
I have absolutely 0 clue what you mean by “new math”. Happy to use Rivals rankings straight up.
Robbie Beran: 97
Miller Kopp: 66
Pete Nance: 67
Aaron Falzon: 92

Reactions: lunker35
I have absolutely 0 clue what you mean by “new math”. Happy to use Rivals rankings straight up.
Robbie Beran: 97
Miller Kopp: 66
Pete Nance: 67
Aaron Falzon: 92

I'll give you Beran, but finding one service that placed Falzon in the top 100, while the rest had him outside it shouldn't qualify.

Here are all of their rankings: fairly irrefutable:

And Carmody sucks.

Aaron Falzon: Ranked No. 75 player in the nation for class of 2015 by ESPN.com and No. 92 by Rivals.com
https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7892&path=mbball
Robbie Beran:: Beran is ranked No. 78 by 247Sports, No. 97 by Rivals and No. 100 by ESPN.
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...e-beran-announces-commitment-to-northwestern/
Pete Nance: Rated No. 67 recruit in the nation by Rivals, No. 79 by ESPN.com and No. 85 by 247Sports
https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7986&path=mbball
Miller Kopp: No. 66 recruit in the nation according to Scout and No. 113 by 247Sports (link doesn't mention the Rivals ranking, but was already mentioned in a prior post:
https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7985&path=mbball

Falzon was also 75 on ESPN.
I also have no idea where he is getting that Drew was a top 100 player. He was a 3* and ESPN didn’t have him nationally ranked and 247 had him at 221, while Rivals didn’t have him ranked in their 250 either....

This post is upside down in how it characterizes recruits' rankings by the major services. I've followed NU closely for close to 40 years. With the exception of O'Neill, I've pretty much liked every NU coach. With exception of those two Falk recruiting classes in the late 70's, no coach has approached what Collins has done. Has it all worked out? Nope. But in six years he's established himself as the best recruiter NU has had.

I would also push back very hard that NU's proximity to Chicago should be a clear path to bringing in Big Ten talent. In a typical year, there are 3-5 recruits in the Chicago area who can compete in the Big Ten and can get through NU admissions. And here's the more important point: every D1 school in the country wants them, the majority of Big Ten schools recruit them and so do the other power conferences.

Chicago has at times helped....Falk brought in Stack, Jenkins, Rathel and Aaron....Carmody had Drew, Shurna, Juice....and Collins had Lindsey, Law and Benson. But that is not a consistent solution for any NU coach through decades and decades due to academics.

With the academics NU has to recruit nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT