ADVERTISEMENT

Massive for the team & sweet revenge for Borg

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Huge huge huge win. Boy was that needed. Exhale.

1) So happy for Borg who got absolutely, appallingly screwed by the refs at Rutgers. Without him going off, we lose.

2) Man, that was an ugly second half defensively, allowing 46(!)…I was so nervous in the last few minutes.

3) Another game shooting in the 30s from the field. I get losing Ty hurts but that’s bad.

4) The last two points are both rooted in this: We are GASSED. Having no depth is hurting us. They need rest, badly.

5) All three home games “should” be wins. But nothing should be taken for granted. I still think 11-9 gets us in, but I’d still love 12+, which is still attainable. I’d be way more worried if this game had gone the other way.

YES/PHEW/GO CATS

1) So happy for Borg who got absolutely, appallingly screwed by the refs at Rutgers. Without him going off, we lose.

2) Man, that was an ugly second half defensively, allowing 46(!)…I was so nervous in the last few minutes.

3) Another game shooting in the 30s from the field. I get losing Ty hurts but that’s bad.

4) The last two points are both rooted in this: We are GASSED. Having no depth is hurting us. They need rest, badly.

5) All three home games “should” be wins. But nothing should be taken for granted. I still think 11-9 gets us in, but I’d still love 12+, which is still attainable. I’d be way more worried if this game had gone the other way.

YES/PHEW/GO CATS
Well, if we can hold serve at home that is at least 12 wins. Will be tough to win at MSU or MD

Team was happy for him!!

GGp27ki-XAAArh-Fr.jpg

That MSU game could be for the double-bye. Right now it's a three-way tie for third place with Wisconsin and Michigan State, and Purdue and Illinois look like they'll get double-byes unless catastrophe strikes.
I really don't care that much about the double-bye. NU had it last year and still lost. Get enough wins in the regular season to make the NCAA tourney. A run in the conference tourney is fine, but an early loss means more rest for the March Madness games.

I really don't care that much about the double-bye. NU had it last year and still lost. Get enough wins in the regular season to make the NCAA tourney. A run in the conference tourney is fine, but an early loss means more rest for the March Madness games.
In 2017 we supposedly needed our first round BTT win to clinch our bid.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case again next month. So, ironically, it may behoove us to avoid the double bye for that easier first victory in the BTT.

A single bye might actually be better to get one game played against a lesser opponent

Reactions: drewjin

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case again next month. So, ironically, it may behoove us to avoid the double bye for that easier first victory in the BTT.
Don’t you remember the Michigan game in 2017? That effectively clinched it.

What are you saying about this year??

I just presume we will lose the first BTT game. Our BTT record is hilarious.

• Sad
Reactions: EagerFan
Don’t you remember the Michigan game in 2017? That effectively clinched it.

What are you saying about this year??
I recall being on pins and needles until we won that first round game over Rutgers. We were not a shoe-in.

I’m saying that I think we’ll be on the precipice again going into the BTT unless we win all of our home games and one road game.

The Chicago State loss is glaring, and the Purdoodoo upset looks less impressive by the week.

Exactly - a double bye means we are in

NU played so well when Boo and Brooks went to the bench in the first half. Who would’ve expected that a Langborg-Mullins-Smith-Martinelli-Nicholson lineup could hold things down?

There’s only one ball, and Langborg is getting more opportunity to show what he can do. He was awesome.

Oddness in the end but, make no mistake, NU went on the road and beat the snot out of IU.

ESPN win probability was never under 92% in the last minute, was never under 80% in the last ten minutes, and was at least NU at 50% for the entire game.

The only reason one could fear NU missing the tournament is Wildcat PTSD. This team is a lock. Let’s win out and get a six seed.

(The remaining home games are a late Thursday game, a Saturday afternoon, and a Saturday night. The Welsh will be rockin’ against weak opponents. Should be a blast.)

Last edited:
I recall being on pins and needles until we won that first round game over Rutgers. We were not a shoe-in.

I’m saying that I think we’ll be on the precipice again going into the BTT unless we win all of our home games and one road game.

The Chicago State loss is glaring, and the Purdoodoo upset looks less impressive by the week.
Well, your first paragraph is not accurate. Rutgers was in the BTT and we knew we were in.

With our schedule easier the rest of the way, I don’t see an issue, but the loss of Berry still gives me some pause. Every tourney prediction has us in as well. Not sure I understand your heightened sense of worry.

That’s all fine but i’d really love to get a conference tourney title in my lifetime

That’s all fine but i’d really love to get a conference tourney title in my lifetime
No disagreement here. It would be nice. That said, the guys off the bench scored one point today. I don't see how this team could put together a string of wins over three or four consecutive days. It's too much.

Just think, however, if they had won, say, three of the five close games they lost on the road. Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers. They'd be alone in first place right now. Ugh, so close.

I realize Purdue lost today, but the committee did their top 16 unveil yesterday and Purdue was the number one overall seed. I wouldn’t say NUs win against them looks “less impressive by the week”. They will be a 1 seed if not the top overall 1 seed.

I realize Purdue lost today, but the committee did their top 16 unveil yesterday and Purdue was the number one overall seed. I wouldn’t say NUs win against them looks “less impressive by the week”. They will be a 1 seed if not the top overall 1 seed.
But that was before they lost to OSU today

YES/PHEW/GO CATS
Borg was huge today. Nicholson also one of his best games. We won @ Assembly Hall despite playing a pretty a pretty poopy game. I love it. Every road win in the B1G is precious.

Let’s get back home, rest up, beat Michigan on Thursday for Boo to take the points record.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
In 2017, the big sweat against Rutgers came in a tight regular season win at home (trailed in the final couple of minutes). That was a home game just before Michigan and Rutgers was really bad then, We did play Rutgers in the first round of the BTT and if I remember correctly, we scored 27 straight points in the first half and coasted home. No sweat there.

NU played so well when Boo and Brooks went to the bench in the first half. Who would’ve expected that a Langborg-Mullins-Smith-Martinelli-Nicholson lineup could hold things down?

There’s only one ball, and Langborg is getting more opportunity to show what he can do. He was awesome.

Oddness in the end but, make no mistake, NU went on the road and beat the snot out of IU.

ESPN win probability was never under 92% in the last minute, was never under 80% in the last ten minutes, and was at least NU at 50% for the entire game.

The only reason one could fear NU missing the tournament is Wildcat PTSD. This team is a lock. Let’s win out and get a six seed.

(The remaining home games are a late Thursday game, a Saturday afternoon, and a Saturday night. The Welsh will be rockin’ against weak opponents. Should be a blast.)
Langborg really carried our offense when both Boo and Barney had to sit with foul trouble. Our bench played great on defense but only scored one point the entire game. For a good part of the first half, our offense was Borg, Matt, and Mart.

Unrelated, I am truly impressed with Purdue. It’s February and they are already in March form.
Disagree. They lost to Ohio Sate today, a team we crushed. Edey is effective only because he is big. He's slow and not really very athletic.
Perhaps I missed the sarcasm font.

Yeah, early exits against bad teams in kinda Purdue's thing in the big dance.

But if we get the double bye we will have a better record and no need for the first round BTT win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT