ADVERTISEMENT

(Semi) OT - the Phillies

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
The Phillies made it all the way to the WS, but couldn't close the deal against the cheaters.

But still, quite an accomplishment after starting the season so poorly under Joe.

I like Joe, but one can't help but wonder if his coaching style is no longer suited for today's game.

One can't also help but wonder if the same thing applies to Fitz, another old-school Chicago guy.

One sports radio host had a daughter who had worked w/ Joe when he was working for MLB, who had nothing but the nicest things to say about Joe as a person, but that doesn't get you results in the field.

Sometimes a coach's way of doing things is outdated, is at a place too long (things get stale) and is too stubborn to change or admit that he had made a mistake.

Another example is Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Matt Canada was simply the wrong hire for OC (in a string of bad hires).

Instead of rectifying that mistake early, Tomlin doubled down on his mistake by allowing Canada to bring in his own guys after numerous assistants departed (not a good sign when assistants don't see it in their best interest to work w/ an OC).

If you want to see the NFL equivalent of the NU O (staid, unimaginative, predictable - and w/ a bad O-line to boot) - watch Steelers football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figrating
Learned baseball in Philly and knew the Phils' players names and positions when they were The Whiz Kids, so imprinted to the team. The Phils brought in some talent this season but stumbled out the gate. The pen in particular gave away one game after another but in general, the best players didn't play well. I was sorry to see Joe get the axe. I didn't think it was justified either in NY or Philly, but as soon as he was gone, the team started to play better. OTOH, Thomson led the team to the WS. Quelle stud. Just what the team needed.

Interesting parallel between The Steelers and The Wildcats. Tomlin has Fitz' Disease. Equally hard to understand, too, because he's been so successful - you'd think he'd be wired to the best OC talent around. I doubt anyone wants to see the NFL equivalent of the NU O nor the NU O itself save NU's opponents. (Well described!) Pittsburgh fans might have to, though.

The Phils showed NU what to do when the guy running your program doesn't produce and doesn't produce again, but NU is going to use the "stare-at-it" approach to solving its problem. Why not do nothing? Brilliant!!!

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT