ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn’t we be hearing about transfers fairly soon?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Ryan Taylor came on board on April 7, 2018. Matt Mooney made his decision on May 14, 2018. We are smack in the middle of that time period. (Kreisberg committed five years ago to the day.)

Given NU’s need for not just one, but ideally two or three, I would certainly hope to hear something in the next week or two.

Ryan Taylor came on board on April 7, 2018. Matt Mooney made his decision on May 14, 2018. We are smack in the middle of that time period. (Kreisberg committed five years ago to the day.)

Given NU’s need for not just one, but ideally two or three, I would certainly hope to hear something in the next week or two.

NU could of had 1 if not 2 transfers announced as of now but the admissions process is just as stringent for transfers as it is incoming freshmen. lots of due diligence needs to be done.

i also heard the transfer portal is completely different this year and that NU is in a position very similar to many programs in terms of filling roster spots. in years past most conferences only had 3-4 teams that were looking for a transfer - not most teams in every conference are looking for 2-3 so the 'recruiting' process for transfer is much crazier than years past.

i heard one NCAA team from this past year has almost their entire team in the portal!

i also wouldn't be surprised if the Joe Bamisile commit didn't change some things in regards to a sit-out transfer and adding kids to the 2020 and 2021 scholarship count

NU could of had 1 if not 2 transfers announced as of now but the admissions process is just as stringent for transfers as it is incoming freshmen. lots of due diligence needs to be done.

i also heard the transfer portal is completely different this year and that NU is in a position very similar to many programs in terms of filling roster spots. in years past most conferences only had 3-4 teams that were looking for a transfer - not most teams in every conference are looking for 2-3 so the 'recruiting' process for transfer is much crazier than years past.

i heard one NCAA team from this past year has almost their entire team in the portal!

i also wouldn't be surprised if the Joe Bamisile commit didn't change some things in regards to a sit-out transfer and adding kids to the 2020 and 2021 scholarship count

Meaning that admissions has turned them down or that the process is simply taking a while?

The one team that has most of its players in the transfer portal is University of Missouri-Kansas City. 11 players are looking into transfering. I think most of us know the new head coach.

Reactions: NJCat

I really take this in terms of a transfer like Freeman, that we are not going to hear until his second semester grades are in. I saw his Twitter a few days ago that he was taking finals, which I think means you will get an answer probably next week. I also saw that he was getting a lot of interest from a number of schools which goes right along with your thoughts.

The one team that has most of its players in the transfer portal is University of Missouri-Kansas City. 11 players are looking into transfering. I think most of us know the new head coach.

Nevada has essentially their entire team in the portal as well, due to the coaching change. A lot of teams have more players than us in the portal...

The issue is not the players NU is losing to transfer, it is that the roster is at 9. The three players transferring were all good representatives of NU by all accounts, but let’s face it, they were also frequent targets of criticism by many fans, including on this board. Now it seems like some think we need to replace LeBron, Dwayne, and Bosh.

I thank our 3 guys for there contributions, but they made the right decision for themselves and that is what matters.

The issue is not the players NU is losing to transfer, it is that the roster is at 9. The three players transferring were all good representatives of NU by all accounts, but let’s face it, they were also frequent targets of criticism by many fans, including on this board. Now it seems like some think we need to replace LeBron, Dwayne, and Bosh.

I thank our 3 guys for there contributions, but they made the right decision for themselves and that is what matters.

Well, Benson was supposed to start. Falzon was expected to be so much more, but seemed to be developing into Taphorn 2.0. And Tap had a role on our only dancing team. Ash will only be missed by one poster.

If it was Ash and only one other, maybe the issues aren’t as glaringly. But losing three guys that include a projected starter and role player, plus the notable loss of a resurgent RI screams trouble.

Since then, we have a recruit for 2020 - a class that has five open spots as we sit here. Two of our transfer targets have chosen elsewhere. And as May approaches, just four plus months from the start of the Fall term, we have nine, mostly unproven, scholarship players.

Every year, NU experiences injuries and illness. Usually, we experience letdown in terms of production (Ash, Vassar, Brown, RI, Taylor, etc.). So nine guys doesn’t build confidence in the state of the program. I suspect that we will soon see reach transfer signees that will be heralded by the homers here and the cause of consternation when they prove to be just warm bodies come season.

Well, Benson was supposed to start. Falzon was expected to be so much more, but seemed to be developing into Taphorn 2.0. And Tap had a role on our only dancing team. Ash will only be missed by one poster.

If it was Ash and only one other, maybe the issues aren’t as glaringly. But losing three guys that include a projected starter and role player, plus the notable loss of a resurgent RI screams trouble.

Since then, we have a recruit for 2020 - a class that has five open spots as we sit here. Two of our transfer targets have chosen elsewhere. And as May approaches, just four plus months from the start of the Fall term, we have nine, mostly unproven, scholarship players.

Every year, NU experiences injuries and illness. Usually, we experience letdown in terms of production (Ash, Vassar, Brown, RI, Taylor, etc.). So nine guys doesn’t build confidence in the state of the program. I suspect that we will soon see reach transfer signees that will be heralded by the homers here and the cause of consternation when they prove to be just warm bodies come season.
We thought Benson might start because the only other options are unknowns. But let's face it.... Benson would have been a huge liability. He was terribly slow, unathletic and prone to fouls. While the depth he provided may be missed a little, its not like losing him will change the outcome of next season much at all.

One thing that jumps out at me about Jared Jones' tape is that he has a low center of gravity and pretty powerful legs. He's not going to get pushed around.

What will be lost from Benson are his leadership and positive attitude. I like him a great deal and saw some things in his game, but agree with the sentiment that his transferring doesn't change much.

We don't know that targeted transfers are choosing other schools. If this was poker, Heywood would be showing all the other players his hand relative to the transfer thing. Admissions is telling kids to look elsewhere.

One thing that jumps out at me about Jared Jones' tape is that he has a low center of gravity and pretty powerful legs. He's not going to get pushed around.

What will be lost from Benson are his leadership and positive attitude. I like him a great deal and saw some things in his game, but agree with the sentiment that his transferring doesn't change much.

We don't know that targeted transfers are choosing other schools. If this was poker, Heywood would be showing all the other players his hand relative to the transfer thing. Admissions is telling kids to look elsewhere.
Maybe it's time for Admissions to get with the program.

I doubt you would be more confident with 12 guys if it is the 9 we have plus the 3 transfers. I repeat, the transfers are not going to make us a good team next year. I wish I was as optimistic as a few here, but I think we are going to take our lumps next year too. I can live with that if the 9 show improvement setting us up for a strong 20-21. You are acting like we are losing the core of the team and ALL 3 guys earned the right to transfer by graduating. The players wanted to transfer to a team where they can be a large part of game-plan versus mentoring the young guys would seem like a logical conclusion when the team is in rebuild. Why does this scream trouble?

It seems that with all of the positive energy from the new facilities admissions could be a little more prompt and perhaps lenient to accept some of these athletes. Jeez.

I doubt you would be more confident with 12 guys if it is the 9 we have plus the 3 transfers. I repeat, the transfers are not going to make us a good team next year. I wish I was as optimistic as a few here, but I think we are going to take our lumps next year too. I can live with that if the 9 show improvement setting us up for a strong 20-21. You are acting like we are losing the core of the team and ALL 3 guys earned the right to transfer by graduating. The players wanted to transfer to a team where they can be a large part of game-plan versus mentoring the young guys would seem like a logical conclusion when the team is in rebuild. Why does this scream trouble?

No one year screams it. I agree that next year hasn’t looked promising for awhile. But repeatedly failing to bring in depth at LG, develop the four star talent that people around here brag about, keep enough players around to field full 13 man squads.

Next year will be bad but last year had been a schollie to use before the mass exodus. Last year was bad and there was a schollie unused.

Every year, there is another excuse, or group of them. Lots and lots of excuses. But for bad luck, NU would be a perennial powerhouse, in some people’s minds.

It seems that with all of the positive energy from the new facilities admissions could be a little more prompt and perhaps lenient to accept some of these athletes. Jeez.

Admissions already makes a lot of leeway for athletes, so the question is how much lower should the standard be set?

A guy like Greer with a 1310 SAT, while decent, is well below the bottom 25 percentile of 1430 for NU. The bottom 25 percentile for ACT is 33 composite. I'm guessing we already have guys with less stellar academic credentials than Greer, but where do you want to draw the line?

A resurgent RI? Because he dropped from the major leagues to single A ball? Benson? See my like in this thread. Falzon? Which one? Pre hobbled wheels or post? Here comes the youth movement. Getting Jones, Beran and now Bam is a remarkable achievement in the wake of consecutive poor seasons. Get a couple more, throw in Nance and Kopp and we’ll be back stronger than ever. This roster is looking better all the time to the elite 2021 recruits who already love us.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Admissions already makes a lot of leeway for athletes, so the question is how much lower should the standard be set?

A guy like Greer with a 1310 SAT, while decent, is well below the bottom 25 percentile of 1430 for NU. The bottom 25 percentile for ACT is 33 composite. I'm guessing we already have guys with less stellar academic credentials than Greer, but where do you want to draw the line?
Jeez. Glad I’m not trying to get into NU nowadays. My 1340 SAT would be pitiful.

The facts were that Ash was never a point guard. Injuries derailed Falzon’s development after his successful freshman year and Benson never lived up to the hype around his recruiting and was never able to play enough minutes as Pardon’s game got better and better every year. Benson also was a foul machine which also prevented him from being on the court for extended minutes. All programs go through transfers. As for Benson and starting next year, I don’t recall the coaching staff saying that publicly that was only poster’s speculation.

A resurgent RI? Because he dropped from the major leagues to single A ball? Benson? See my like in this thread. Falzon? Which one? Pre hobbled wheels or post? Here comes the youth movement. Getting Jones, Beran and now Bam is a remarkable achievement in the wake of consecutive poor seasons. Get a couple more, throw in Nance and Kopp and we’ll be back stronger than ever. This roster is looking better all the time to the elite 2021 recruits who already love us.

GOUNUII

While your description is a bit inaccurate, let’s move on and look forward to the arrival of PBJ and his friends. All excuses are now set aside. CCC has his guys and is given several years to build his roster. So, 2020-2021 it is. The year of results or no excuses, agreed? ;)

I sit back and listen to your silence...or your creation of excuse space for that season.

While your description is a bit inaccurate, let’s move on and look forward to the arrival of PBJ and his friends. All excuses are now set aside. CCC has his guys and is given several years to build his roster. So, 2020-2021 it is. The year of results or no excuses, agreed? ;)

I sit back and listen to your silence...or your creation of excuse space for that season.
Think NU has give Collins until 2025-26 to prove himself, if you look at past history.

Way WAAYYYY below 1310

Actually 2021-22 is the no excuse season ...when Nance and Kopp are seniors.

First time I've ever been described as the silent type. Or an excuse machine. But with the facilities near completion and CCC with some experience under his belt, 2021-22 should be what? His 10th year? That should be enough to gauge whether he should continue into his 2nd decade at the helm.

GOUNUII

Actually 2021-22 is the no excuse season ...when Nance and Kopp are seniors.

First time I've ever been described as the silent type. Or an excuse machine. But with the facilities near completion and CCC with some experience under his belt, 2021-22 should be what? His 10th year? That should be enough to gauge whether he should continue into his 2nd decade at the helm.

GOUNUII
Seem to remember NU's previous BB coach got more then ten, right? Collins took over in 2013, thus wouldn't 2021 be his eight year?

Well, Benson was supposed to start. Falzon was expected to be so much more, but seemed to be developing into Taphorn 2.0. And Tap had a role on our only dancing team. Ash will only be missed by one poster

Wouldn't quite say that Falzon was developing into Tap 2.0.

His last 3 seasons Tap shot -

50%
40.3%
47.0%

from beyond the arc.

Last 2 seasons, Falzon shot -

37.5%
31.7%

A big issue for the team the past 2 seasons was not finding a replacement for Tap's O (off the bench), as well as Lump's D.

That combo of Lump and Tap was instrumental for the Tourney run no matter what some here have stated.

Injuries derailed Falzon’s development after his successful freshman year and Benson never lived up to the hype around his recruiting and was never able to play enough minutes as Pardon’s game got better and better every year.

Don't buy the injuries excuse for development.

VV played a little his frosh year, but got hurt and then missed his soph year and but came back as the best player on the team (giving NU 3 really good to great seasons).

Cobb struggled w/ injuries pretty much his entire career, but when he was healthiest (2013-14) had a very nice season - 12.2 ppg/2.3 apg.

Seem to remember NU's previous BB coach got more then ten, right? Collins took over in 2013, thus wouldn't 2021 be his eight year?

The whole year thing discussion is a bit ridiculous (we'll see where the program is when the 2018 class are SRs).

Also not exactly an apples to apples comparison as CC was handed a program that had seen greater success (than what BC was handed), plus also gets the benefit of significant facilities upgrades.

Basically have to look at the program as basically starting over due to various missteps.

As long as seeing progress, willing to have patience (but like I had stated, the staff needs to make a # of changes).

Last edited:
I understood "Tap 2.0" to mean three point threat....and that's about it.

Falzon started over Tap because he could do more on the floor....the team could play man with Falzon on the floor....it had to play zone with Tap on the floor.

There were fewer games Falzon was able to play this year than games he could not. His injuries are chronic and more significant than most of the players you described. The debilitating nature of his injuries are similar to those of Jershon Cobb....a player prior to Cobb's last year who Collins suggested was a pro prospect. Falzon's NU bball career was wrecked by injury.

Reactions: NJCat

Haywood, they aren’t going to go into next season with only 9 scholarship players are they?

i have heard that since he has gotten hired, CCC he has only gotten 2-3 "special admits" compared to the grades that all NU student athletes who are admitted need (which is less than the normal NU student as in the greer example above). That is 1 "special admit' kid per every 2 recruiting classes. and there have been many than have gotten denied. and the ones that have been admitted are not the first names you would guess.

a kid rates a NU visit a 10 out of 10 and plays 1 year of college ball and takes college courses, but is not a good enough prospective student athlete for NU to admit.
Athletes at NU graduate. If admissions continues to stick their nose up in the air as if these guys can’t make it, the team will never be what it should be.

Reactions: NUCats and willycat
a kid rates a NU visit a 10 out of 10 and plays 1 year of college ball and takes college courses, but is not a good enough prospective student athlete for NU to admit.

I don’t really want to comment on specifics of a kid’s record, so I’ll just say I wish him all the success wherever he ends up.

As I mentioned they need to give more leeway for us to consistently competitive. It makes the school money. We are not taking in morally questionable candidates, the players benefit from getting a world class education and helps get more brand recognition for NU. Win-win situation here what’s the deal.

I'll tell you what's going to happen.

Collins will win again. Maybe two consecutive years to the NCAA. Maybe even a nice run.

And then he'll jump to another gig.

You can't put up with competing against others with a different set of rules indefinitely.

He'll dress it up, but he'll jump.

Four years.

Reactions: NUCats and willycat
I'll tell you what's going to happen.

Collins will win again. Maybe two consecutive years to the NCAA. Maybe even a nice run.

And then he'll jump to another gig.

You can't put up with competing against others with a different set of rules indefinitely.

He'll dress it up, but he'll jump.

Four years.

Nice crystal ball. But even if your scenario plays out and he does jump, it won't matter because we will be in a far better place than where we were and will have our pick of coaches from which to choose, imo,

Still would bet against this, though... he would get a ton of money to stay if he was in consecutive NCAAs and would probably only want to leave us for Duke, which is likely going in another direction with any successor to Coach K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT