ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Dean Lowry

Is he the best DE ever at Northwestern? Casey Dailey was a good one, but Dean was just a beast this season, esp. vs Duke, Nebraska and Wisconsin (Pretty good vs Stanford as well!) I hope he has earned himself a nice draft spot. Filling his shoes this fall will be quite a challenge.

Is he the best DE ever at Northwestern? Casey Dailey was a good one, but Dean was just a beast this season, esp. vs Duke, Nebraska and Wisconsin (Pretty good vs Stanford as well!) I hope he has earned himself a nice draft spot. Filling his shoes this fall will be quite a challenge.

Dailey, Wootton and Missouri were all better.

No. Wootton. Easy.

Reactions: phatcat
Recency effect. Lowry is the best DE ever.

Wooten was great his junior year before he got injured (we probably would have won the Alamo Bowl if it hadn't gone out in the fourth quarter), but I don't think he had as dominating a senior season as Lowry did.

Wooten was great his junior year before he got injured (we probably would have won the Alamo Bowl if it hadn't gone out in the fourth quarter), but I don't think he had as dominating a senior season as Lowry did.

Perhaps playing on a partially-healed knee from said Alamo Bowl injury might have had something to do with it? Had Wootton not gone down with that injury, he likely would have left early and been drafted in the first two rounds. As it were, he was still drafted in the fourth round and had a five-year NFL career.

Perhaps playing on a partially-healed knee from said Alamo Bowl injury might have had something to do with it? Had Wootton not gone down with that injury, he likely would have left early and been drafted in the first two rounds. As it were, he was still drafted in the fourth round and had a five-year NFL career.
Doesn't the injury have to figure in to your evaluation of his "college" career? Wooten was still very good in his senior season (I remember the game turning fumble he caused at Iowa that sent Stanzi out of the game), but Lowry's interception at Duke and his dominating presence at Nebraska (not to mention Wisconsin) made him a primary figure in at least three wins for us last year. Obviously, our entire defense was a lot better last year than it was in 2009, Wooten's senior year, so that figures in as well, but I think Dean belongs in the discussion. Will be interesting to see how he does at the next level.

Unfortunately the play I remember most about Wootton was what I thought was a lackluster blocking effort on the failed two point conversion try in the bowl game against Auburn.

Doesn't the injury have to figure in to your evaluation of his "college" career? Wooten was still very good in his senior season (I remember the game turning fumble he caused at Iowa that sent Stanzi out of the game), but Lowry's interception at Duke and his dominating presence at Nebraska (not to mention Wisconsin) made him a primary figure in at least three wins for us last year. Obviously, our entire defense was a lot better last year than it was in 2009, Wooten's senior year, so that figures in as well, but I think Dean belongs in the discussion. Will be interesting to see how he does at the next level.
Wootton was probably better when he was healthy. But since 2000 I haven't seen a more consistent, productive DE at Northwestern than Lowry. He was a rock of stability, with flashes of greatness resulting in several crucial victories, from his first year.

If we're going to pretend then that no one ever got injured and we can extrapolate how good they would have been then Loren Howard would be the best DE IMO. Not sure why you would not consider his actual performance, even though effected by injury.

Where did I say I was discounting the injury? Wootton was the most dominant defensive lineman we've ever had his junior year in 2008, then still probably just as good or better than any other DEs in recent memory his senior year playing on one leg.

If we're going to pretend then that no one ever got injured and we can extrapolate how good they would have been then Loren Howard would be the best DE IMO. Not sure why you would not consider his actual performance, even though effected by injury.

Not pretending the injury didn't happen. As pointed out above, Corey was the most dominant defensive lineman we've had in recent memory his junior year in 2008, then just as good or better than other DL in 2009 playing on one leg.

I'm one of the biggest Lowry fanboys out there, but Wootton was pretty easily a better player.

Howard was a beast. Not sure if he got that way "naturally" but no denying his talent and the lost opportunity due to his injuries.

Howard was a beast. Not sure if he got that way "naturally" but no denying his talent and the lost opportunity due to his injuries.
It is sort of a hard measurable but part of greatness in athletics is not only the body's ability to develop but also durability to sustain the development. If I remember correctly Howard had a weakness in his ankles. No sooner did he need one repaired the other gave out. I'll bet if he had just been an average guy walking around the world, his ankles would have been just fine. Similar thing with Persa's achilles. He had developed his leg muscles so aggressively that the achilles popped after the play when he was jumping up and down to see or celebrate. A regular person can't do that.

Some guys are always banged up and some guys are made of more durable stuff.

It is sort of a hard measurable but part of greatness in athletics is not only the body's ability to develop but also durability to sustain the development. If I remember correctly Howard had a weakness in his ankles. No sooner did he need one repaired the other gave out. I'll bet if he had just been an average guy walking around the world his ankles would have been just fine. Similar thing with Persa's achilles, he had developed his leg muscles so aggressively that the achilles popped after the play when he was jumping up and down to see or celebrate; a regular person can't do that.

Some guys are always banged up and some guys are made of more durable stuff.

Yeah... that's not what DaCat is talking about.

Yeah... that's not what DaCat is talking about.
Actually, lots of regular people pop their achilles doing nothing out of the ordinary. I think that's how it happens most of the time. That is what is so scary about those injuries. They just happen. It may have been genetic but I doubt it had anything to do with his work outs.

I watched the highlights against Nebraska. Boy, was he held on some of those passing plays. No flags either. On one play, the OL slipped his hand under Lowry's shoulder pads and grabbed the jersey from inside it. Not sure if that was intentional, but it worked great...

I always felt that Wooten got a bad deal from the Bears.
They used him in the middle a lot in 2013 when they had so many injuries and refused to sign another inside lineman and he got beat up all year by guys weighing 50-100 pounds more than him.
I thought he did a pretty good job, considering the size differential, but it didn't seem to matter as they let him go to the Vikings the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT