ADVERTISEMENT

Size of new stadium -

I actually have first hand knowledge on this topic of stadium size.

To the OP, based on your theory when the 'Cats play in Soldier Field, the place should be packed. It won't (at least with purple). I suggested to NU during the survey period that we should be smaller like the pitch at the MLSs Sporting KC which is modeled after other similar sized facilities in the UK. Everything NU wants to accomplish happens with a smaller stadium:
1. Less seats adds value to the ticket
2. Sound control. The way its designed that atmosphere will be killer.
3. Footprint. With the geography of Evanston how do you make a 70K seat stadium anyway?
I want to point out that in Daytona Beach, NASCAR smartly reduced seating for the Speedway by removing the back stretch grand stands. That decision was made because with too many seats they would have to reduce ticket costs to keep it filled. People were giving away tickets to their marquee event. By halving the seats they actually increased value of the ticket because the market wasn't flooded with opportunity.

A smaller Ryan Field with a good football team playing in it more justifies ticket charges. It makes it hard to flood the place with opposing fans also.
want to bet?

And I think the new stadium will have similar issues. Bad team plus higher prices…I think there will be more Chicago area co-workers going in on season tickets to see their teams. Lot easier to cough up the money for season tickets across four guys and plan to sell half the tickets.
I am really surprised nobody else has encountered this besides me. Oh well - it will be what it will be and then PPD will chastise me for having brought it up somewhere down the line…

Perhaps you guys remember the Allstate year for basketball, where we went from a capacity of 8,100 to a capacity of 18,500. Not sure about you, but I don't recall there being a massive influx of NU fans coming off of literally the best season in the program's history with almost everybody returning and that dingus Clark Kellogg picking NU to the Final Four.

No, what happened was that every single opposing team fan in the Chicago area plus anyone else who wanted to fly to Chicago and drive literally five minutes to the arena showed up to cheer on their team against the 'Cats, and we were essentially playing road games all year long. Making the football stadium bigger would not result in the desired outcome.

Some general comments..
1) I don't care if it is private money, the astronomical cost is stupid and wasteful. Spend 100M (still a lot) to put in actual seats, better restrooms and concessions. The rest is wasted, even if Pat Ryan and @Alan Smithee have, together, already donated millions.
2) I will miss the towers. My heart skips a beat when I see them as I approach.
3) the cost of tickets and PSL will be very high. I have no interest in this type of investment. I am hopeful that the secondary market is still reasonable for non con games
4) I'm OK with limiting capacity to keep out yahoos. Better field a competitive team
5) stadium novelty wears off in a few years. People will go because it is the thing to do, then, even if we are good, interest will ebb. But the reduction in supply will create an artifical demand for a time, where gate receipts and concessions will end up easily outpacing current because of higher revenue per seat.

Reactions: drewjin
Buffalo Bills just announced a new stadium with a capacity of 60k, which is 10k less than their current stadium.

Reactions: zeek55
Second, you cannot point to attendance post-Rose Bowl in the late 90s as justifying a belief that we can similarly fill a larger stadium today. Games are much more widely available via TV and streaming today. Moreover, overall college football attendance has been trending downward for quite some time.
I live in Oregon and Oregon State is in the middle of a renovation that will reduce capacity from 45k to 36k. This comes less than 20 years after expanding from 35k to 45k. They easily sell 45k when they play Oregon but otherwise max out around 35-40. I think programs are preparing for a future where attendance demand likely keeps declining.

I live in Oregon and Oregon State is in the middle of a renovation that will reduce capacity from 45k to 36k. This comes less than 20 years after expanding from 35k to 45k. They easily sell 45k when they play Oregon but otherwise max out around 35-40. I think programs are preparing for a future where attendance demand likely keeps declining.
I think you have to prepare for 10/20/30 years into the future.

Attending games in person will still be a thing at the biggest schools or pro-teams with the most rabid followings in the biggest cities.

But for everyone else? Likely to be much lower in aggregate, so I think you get ahead of the curve like us, Oregon State, Buffalo Bills, etc.

Make a max luxury experience for fewer people. 10 years ago, I'd have been shocked at myself for agreeing with a project that puts the stadium below 40k seats. Now it feels like a natural outcome.

Outside of like 15-20 college programs, I think most will see significantly lower attendance in the future than now. Every game is on TV, TVs are better than ever, there's a million other things to do in terms of enterainment options on Saturdays. I also assume less students stick around Chicago after graduating than in the past. That's another factor that affects us.

Just feels like we're in a paradigm shift and recognizing that early is a good thing. Creating a 35k stadium that will feel like a 50k+ bowl shaped stadium in terms of atmosphere is the right decision.

Buffalo Bills just announced a new stadium with a capacity of 60k, which is 10k less than their current stadium.
Yeah...but the NFL is probably going to look at them and say, "That program isn't big time" and not let them in the playoffs with that new stadium. 😇

Reactions: NJCat
Does it not occur to anyone that we might get left out of the college football playoffs because the committee will say "cute little team up there, nice folks, but gee, what a small fan base, it's like a MAC team over there, let's take Oklahoma instead!".

Cannot you imagine a four or five star recruit saying "I like Fitz, school seems nice, but boy, that team, that stadium, definitely that's not the big time over there, sorry, pass."
This same argument happened withe basketball arena reno and Willy was all over that one as well insisting that you couldn't possibly be a B1G team with a reduced capacity.

I'm sure your nightmare scenario totally happens all the time with Duke and their cute, little 9,000-person capacity basketball arena. People totally overlook their success and say that they are definitely not big-time.

Northwestern can't stadium its way to "big-time". That happens on the field.

"Average" attendance now is inflated by opponents' fans for Big Ten games. Is a smaller, but purple, crowd such a bad thing? I think our stadium will still be larger than Wake Forest's.

"Suites" must indeed generate big bucks, because it seems to be a trend across the board to reduce capacity to add suites. It must rake in the dough.

Prior to this new stadium, UAB used to play in Legion Field, which has a capacity greater than 70,000, so UAB downsized their capacity by over 20,000. Also, it seems UAB doesn't own the stadium? UAB has never had a crowd over 40,000 in this new stadium. Crowds under 25,000 are typical.
None of it will matter unless the product is good. They will only need 10,000 seats if they don’t start winning, and 9,000 will be visiting team fans!

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
It’s fun having 20k fans of the opposing team going crazy in our stadium? It’s embarrassing and not one ounce of fun.
Amen. It sucks. This seems like a post from someone who never goes to games. Having the other team’s fans chant across the stadium is not exciting. Having the other team’s fans try to disrupt our offense with noise is not exciting. When the stadium is full, at least 20,000 fans are cheering for the other team. I have had season tickets for over 30 years and with the exception of a few games, the atmosphere sucks. When we don’t play a good team, it’s half-filled and deadly silent and when we play a good team, it’s hard to tell if it’s a home game. 35,000 to 38,000 is absolutely the right size. A 35,000 seat stadium filled with 28,000 of our fans will be fantastic. The game at Wrigley Field had less than 40,000 fans and the atmosphere was great. The game in Dublin had less than 40,000 fans and the atmosphere was great even with all of the Nebraska fans and some empty seats. NBA arenas are plenty exciting with 20,000 fans.

Amen. It sucks. This seems like a post from someone who never goes to games. Having the other team’s fans chant across the stadium is not exciting. Having the other team’s fans try to disrupt our offense with noise is not exciting. When the stadium is full, at least 20,000 fans are cheering for the other team. I have had season tickets for over 30 years and with the exception of a few games, the atmosphere sucks. When we don’t play a good team, it’s half-filled and deadly silent and when we play a good team, it’s hard to tell if it’s a home game. 35,000 to 38,000 is absolutely the right size. A 35,000 seat stadium filled with 28,000 of our fans will be fantastic. The game at Wrigley Field had less than 40,000 fans and the atmosphere was great. The game in Dublin had less than 40,000 fans and the atmosphere was great even with all of the Nebraska fans and some empty seats. NBA arenas are plenty exciting with 20,000 fans.
Exactly! A lot of stadium bitching going on from folks that aren’t there very much.

Celtic and Rangers may build/share a 100K stadium in Scotland-I guess FB attendance is declining but not soccer in Europe

• Wow
SDSU's new 35,000 seat stadium cost $310 million. Clearly ours will be fancier, but almost triple the price?
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/fa...21031002&utm_term=&oly_enc_id=4135B3789801G5N
I just looked at SDSU's new stadium. It is very basic and butt-ugly. It is also built in the middle of a huge parking lot in an industrial area adjacent to the intersection of two interstates. The design features, the supply routes, the building season, and the neighborhood constraints are not even remotely comparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I caught a glimpse of the empty Big House on Saturday. It looks worse than Ryan. For those that have been there, what do you think?

I caught a glimpse of the empty Big House on Saturday. It looks worse than Ryan. For those that have been there, what do you think?
to me, it's a nothing-burger, though I'm admittedly biased because I can't stand them. Since it is sunken, there is no intimidating presence when you arrive. It's like as tall as my house otherwise.

Once inside, it's just a big cereal bowl with the seats too close together.

Major stadiums (stadia?) I've visited that I like better - Iowa, OSU, MSU, PSU.

I have been to PSU and every time I walked into the stadium, I prayed that the structural engineer/architect were top of the line because it looked like an erector set that a child might have made and 110K fans could stress the structure to its' limit. Also, the PSU growl is as annoying as copycat NU's

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT