ADVERTISEMENT

Skowronek transferring to Notre Dame

Fine. Fresh start for him and for the Cats.

We didn’t need another year of Skowronek. We need some young receivers to step up (and ideally sign a 2020 WR recruit as well).

Reactions: RevCat
Great, I’m sure Springer will coach up the others.

Meanwhile, can’t blame him for going somewhere w a WR coach. At this point, I’m ready for all WRs to transfer or avoid NU until Fitz grows some balls.

Maybe we can relive the Carmody days of the bizarre 1-3-1 by bringing back the wishbone offense. As long as our defense can deny any points all year, we can’t lose.

good for him. he put in his time heart and soul. he deserves to play in an amazing atmosphere for a blue bood
Once a Wildcat always a Wildcat.

I think we saw the peak of his abilities and it helped us win some big games. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

(There is a much richer debate on the rock, as always.)

Great, I’m sure Springer will coach up the others.

Meanwhile, can’t blame him for going somewhere w a WR coach. At this point, I’m ready for all WRs to transfer or avoid NU until Fitz grows some balls.

Maybe we can relive the Carmody days of the bizarre 1-3-1 by bringing back the wishbone offense. As long as our defense can deny any points all year, we can’t lose.
The wishbone offense is much too well known and widely scouted. I suggest we try the “veer” offense that was magical in the 1980s for the Badgers under Don Morton (3-21 in conference play). From the looks of his career path, he might be willing to hire on as a consultant at NU.

"A few years after his tenure as head football coach at Wisconsin, Morton returned to North Dakota State as the Assistant to the President and Director of University Relations. He later joined Great Plains Software as chief of staff for CEO Doug Burgum. Morton became an employee of Microsoft Corporation through the acquisition of Great Plains in 2001. Morton was the site leader for the Microsoft campus in Fargo, North Dakota. Morton is now retired from Microsoft."

The wishbone offense is much too well known and widely scouted. I suggest we try the “veer” offense that was magical in the 1980s for the Badgers under Don Morton (3-21 in conference play). From the looks of his career path, he might be willing to hire on as a consultant at NU.

"A few years after his tenure as head football coach at Wisconsin, Morton returned to North Dakota State as the Assistant to the President and Director of University Relations. He later joined Great Plains Software as chief of staff for CEO Doug Burgum. Morton became an employee of Microsoft Corporation through the acquisition of Great Plains in 2001. Morton was the site leader for the Microsoft campus in Fargo, North Dakota. Morton is now retired from Microsoft."

Can we please stop discussing this nonsense about the wishbone, veer or triple option, at least on the public boards. It's never going to happen, it's unnecessary and it's harmful to the program. Just the kind of fodder other programs need to disparage NU to prospective recruits.

Can we please stop discussing this nonsense about the wishbone, veer or triple option, at least on the public boards. It's never going to happen, it's unnecessary and it's harmful to the program. Just the kind of fodder other programs need to disparage NU to prospective recruits.
Oh yes. Michigan points all our recruits to this board of grumpy old men to discourage recruits. Harbarf even has a secret subscription to the rock where he shows only the elite recruits all the "top" strategies and secret handshake code words.

Sorry Corbi but im sure Ben is done playing guessing games of Fitz' QB depth charts of QB 1A, 1B, or 1C.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Good riddance.
need a "dislike" button.

Kid played his heart out, graduated, and is moving on. I'm disappointed, but unless there is some "rich" information on the sacred Rock that shows he's a spoiled, selfish jerk, I don't see any reason to boot him in the a$$ on the way out.

Why is it that if someone transfers here (Prater, Johnson), it is ok, but if someone leaves, they have broken the "always a Wildcat" code?

Further, although it is unlikely that I'd subscribe to the Rock, having people try to lord it over us just makes us freeloaders dig in our heels even more. If it makes you (all) feel better, I do have to look at ridiculous ads, which, presumably, fund the free board.

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark.

When you are injured a lot like he was you have a lot of time to think things over. Since he has already graduated perhaps this is a good move from an academic standpoint? (Doubt that they would give up a football scholarship) Showed flashes of greatness but we will never know the actual why details unless he and Fitz have a news conference which is unlikely. If it is to boost pro prospects I don't think that happen at ND. One thing for sure is he will probably go to a bowl game. Thanks Ben for helping us win the West title. Good luck. Hope everything works out even though most NU fans wish it was somewhere other than ND.

Reactions: drewjin and phatcat
need a "dislike" button.

Kid played his heart out, graduated, and is moving on. I'm disappointed, but unless there is some "rich" information on the sacred Rock that shows he's a spoiled, selfish jerk, I don't see any reason to boot him in the a$$ on the way out.

Why is it that if someone transfers here (Prater, Johnson), it is ok, but if someone leaves, they have broken the "always a Wildcat" code?

Further, although it is unlikely that I'd subscribe to the Rock, having people try to lord it over us just makes us freeloaders dig in our heels even more. If it makes you (all) feel better, I do have to look at ridiculous ads, which, presumably, fund the free board.
Just visit "women bikinis" and then you wont mind the ads.
Otherwise you can pay $99 and read gocatsgo talking shit about another player.

Reactions: olshin
I’m sad that Ben is transferring especially to tsisb, I thought he was a Baptist, why would any good God-fearing young man who is a Baptist want to go there?
Seriously, I wish him well, as much as his leadership and experience would have helped, I think we have some good talented players who can and must step up.
This is going to be an interesting off-season. After watching the most assbackwards university win yesterday, ruining my day, I’m a little concerned that we’re not just behind the other west teams (Wis., rodents, and Iowa) but very far behind!
I’m fearful that next season is not going to be much better!

Reactions: drewjin
As bad as this season was, NU beat Illinois, probably beats both Purdue and Nebraska if Fitz would find a kicker who can make a kick that means anything. That's 3 wins. You will recall that the Wisconsin game was actually competitive. Minnesota was also competitive after Marty started to play. My point is NU was decimated by injuries at every position (except LB and safety) and still should have won at least two more games. Before I go into panic mode, I'll see what happens when the litany of players who Fitz sat after the season was lost return for the spring and summer. For me, the participation list for spring practice is the next big thing to see if guys were actually hurt or if Fitz decided redshirt Bowser and Earnest Brown to save them for future seasons.

As for Skowronek, he will be missed because he has solid hands and made important catches. I saw nothing in his NU career to suggest he has the speed to play in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevCat and lunker35
need a "dislike" button.

I was just saying there is a much longer & deeper convo on this topic as this news leaked earlier if it were of particular interest to you. If not, I certainly understand as $99 is not insignificant. It seems like the free board has been overtaken by a few posters and that alone is worth the cost to avoid.

I don’t see the ads and am happy to avoid them. Except for the one that WickerTurk highlighted...

I was just saying there is a much longer & deeper convo on this topic as this news leaked earlier if it were of particular interest to you. If not, I certainly understand as $99 is not insignificant. It seems like the free board has been overtaken by a few posters and that alone is worth the cost to avoid.

I don’t see the ads and am happy to avoid them. Except for the one that WickerTurk highlighted...
+1
That was funny.
Slightly less well known is the ad where the woman keeps moving her booty. Not sure how that one keeps popping up but at least she is wearing what appears to be purple but I have to squint real hard. lol

Oh yes. Michigan points all our recruits to this board of grumpy old men to discourage recruits. Harbarf even has a secret subscription to the rock where he shows only the elite recruits all the "top" strategies and secret handshake code words.

Sorry Corbi but im sure Ben is done playing guessing games of Fitz' QB depth charts of QB 1A, 1B, or 1C.
I remember the one conspiracy some of these theorist commented that somehow Fleck and Harbaugh were getting pointers off of this board. One good even said that I might have given Stanford some inside info when I posted on here that Jelani Roberts looked pretty good in the 7 on 7s and might actually play as a true freshman. While Roberts did burn his shirt early, he had no wiggle. Great A to B burner but couldn't wiggle and was reduced down to end arounds with a load of steam. Could have made a great KOR guy but Fitz didn't want to waste time at practice on that unit so we pretty much just stood someone back there to waive until we did a bit this year. Unlike Wisconsin, OSU and all of the blue bloods who want big plays and are aggressive with the pill.

I wish we had more intelligent conversations about a variety of offensive (and defensive) schemes on this board. When, on the rare occasion, discussions on these topics occur with knowledgable opposing fans, it’s a real treat.

The veer is alive, albeit in zombie form. Navy is still killing it with the flexbone. Wisconsin runs an offense that could be deemed “antiquated”, yet has no problem finding talent that produces. Shoot, even Nebraska revived the i-formation triple option for a drive vs Ohio State this year. What is old is new again, etc.

Yes, nonsensical schematic commentary from posters like Turk is annoying, but talking football is fun. I wish we did more of it. Let’s not get paranoid.

Last edited:

Ok - let’s talk about our great WR coach, or the big WR recruit we just landed, or our best WR and co-captain that will be leading us to glory next year...

Or how about that wishbone all run offense?

Don Morton was one of my high school coaches. He was a great coach and a fun guy. He left for Augustana the year I graduated and he recruited myself and Billy Stevens. We both decided to go to NU. I really hoped for him to do well at Wiscy. Actually I love the veer offense....except for the turnover factor

Don Morton was one of my high school coaches. He was a great coach and a fun guy. He left for Augustana the year I graduated and he recruited myself and Billy Stevens. We both decided to go to NU.

Senator, you're no Don Morton.

Ok - let’s talk about our great WR coach, or the big WR recruit we just landed, or our best WR and co-captain that will be leading us to glory next year...

Or how about that wishbone all run offense?
I hope Fitz doesn't fire Springer because you'd lose yet another target for your negativity, but then again, I'm sure you'd find a new coach to focus on. Happy New Year!

Reactions: IGNORE2
I wish we had more intelligent conversations about a variety of offensive (and defensive) schemes on this board. When, on the rare occasion, discussions on these topics occur with knowledgable opposing fans, it’s a real treat.

The veer is alive, albeit in zombie form. Navy is still killing it with the flexbone. Wisconsin runs an offense that could be deemed “antiquated”, yet has no problem finding talent that produces. Shoot, even Nebraska revived the i-formation triple option for a drive vs Ohio State this year. What is old is new again, etc.

Yes, nonsensical schematic commentary from posters like Turk is annoying, but talking football is fun. I wish we did more of it. Let’s not get paranoid.

Paranoid? We have a thread on the main board started by a rival Big Ten fan asking if NU is going to transition to a wishbone offense. That's the kind of stuff that recruits read and get scared off by, especially when it comes on the heels of us losing some offensive talent via decomittments and transfers. Setting all that aside, any talk of this happening at NU is just nonsense. The only reason teams like Navy use it is because they have to overcome their recruiting deficiencies and the only reason they have success with it is because their opponents aren't familiar with the scheme and struggle because they didn't have sufficient time to prepare for it. Any program switching to this type of offense is essentially raising the white flag and saying we can't beat you straight up so we are going to try to beat you with gimmicks. NU just came off perhaps the program's most successful four year stretch ever where they won 36 games, A Big Ten West title and three consecutive bowl games. Based on those kind of trends why in the world would anyone suggest that NU has to switch to this type of schematic gimmick to be successful?

Paranoid? We have a thread on the main board started by a rival Big Ten fan asking if NU is going to transition to a wishbone offense. That's the kind of stuff that recruits read and get scared off by, especially when it comes on the heels of us losing some offensive talent via decomittments and transfers. Setting all that aside, any talk of this happening at NU is just nonsense. The only reason teams like Navy use it is because they have to overcome their recruiting deficiencies and the only reason they have success with it is because their opponents aren't familiar with the scheme and struggle because they didn't have sufficient time to prepare for it. Any program switching to this type of offense is essentially raising the white flag and saying we can't beat you straight up so we are going to try to beat you with gimmicks. NU just came off perhaps the program's most successful four year stretch ever where they won 36 games, A Big Ten West title and three consecutive bowl games. Based on those kind of trends why in the world would anyone suggest that NU has to switch to this type of schematic gimmick to be successful?

I don’t disagree with what your saying (RE: NU actually using any of these schemes), but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody outside of this board cares about this thread (and that’s the way it should be).

It can be fun to talk about things that won’t happen, especially when it’s actually about football stuff...like when some if us were dreaming of the college football playoff in October of 2015. This is the same sort of thing. Zero harm...in fact, if recruits are getting “scared off” by a silly thread from a bunch of nobodies discussing dated offensive schemes, I’d be more worried about what prospects the staff is recruiting.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating/wondering what the wishbone would look like at NU. Should posters stop linking media stories of Fitz turning down NFL jobs because an opponent’s coaching staff could say “look at all the interest Fitz is getting from NFL-he may not be there much longer”?

Silliness.

PS - No need to explain Navy. I understand why the midshipmen do what they do.

In many ways, coach Ken and Fitz are similar. Not only in character and how they value their players, but also in attention to detail/execution and use of analytics.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with what your saying (RE: NU actually using any of these schemes), but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody outside of this board cares about this thread (and that’s the way it should be).

It can be fun to talk about things that won’t happen, especially when it’s actually about football stuff...like when some if us were dreaming of the college football playoff in October of 2015. This is the same sort of thing. Zero harm...in fact, if recruits are getting “scared off” by a silly thread from a bunch of nobodies discussing dates offensive schemes, I’d be more worried about what prospects the staff is recruiting.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating/wondering what the wishbone would look like at NU. Should posters stop linking media stories of Fitz turning down NFL jobs because an opponent’s coaching staff could say “look at all the interest Fitz is getting from NFL-he may not be there much longer”?

Silliness.

PS - No need to talk down to me on Navy. I understand why the midshipmen do what they do.

In many ways, coach Ken and Fitz are similar. Not only in character and how they value their players, but also in attention to detail/execution and use of analytics.

My frustration was not aimed solely at you. Your’s happened to be only the latest of severals posts this offseason by NU fans speculating on this very topic and not all were in jest. I just don’t think it has much validity for NU and I do think it adds fuel to the growing perception that NU is not the place to go for talented offensive players. You’d be surprised who reads these boards.

I hope Fitz doesn't fire Springer because you'd lose yet another target for your negativity, but then again, I'm sure you'd find a new coach to focus on. Happy New Year!

Meanwhile, I suspect you are looking forward to next year’s arial attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT