ADVERTISEMENT

Slater?

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
Have I missed something? I wasn't surprised the BTN crew was down on NU overall, not willing to even put the 'Cats in the top three in the West after watching practice today. They cited poor OL as the reason. But I was shocked they said freshman Slater will play. Maybe even start? I'd love to think he's just that good, but everything I've heard about our tackles has been concerning.

Just read another BTN report that he probably will start. Have I just missed these earlier reports? Whom does he replace?

Have I missed something? I wasn't surprised the BTN crew was down on NU overall, not willing to even put the 'Cats in the top three in the West after watching practice today. They cited poor OL as the reason. But I was shocked they said freshman Slater will play. Maybe even start? I'd love to think he's just that good, but everything I've heard about our tackles has been concerning.
I had this question also. Does anyone know whether he would be RT or LT? I was thinking RT, but then there was one comment in the article which seemed to allude to him protecting Clayton's blind side.

I continue to be worried about the OL.. let's hope this is a case of the young guys surging past the vets rather than just a general free for all across the board.

It's also possible that this was part of Cush's "rotation" day to day scheme and the BTN just happened to catch us on a day where Slater was with the 1s. Still, not inspiring confidence. Please prove me wrong OL and Cush!!

Just read another BTN report that he probably will start. Have I just missed these earlier reports? Whom does he replace?
I hope he is really good but I'm afraid it is more a function of something didn't happen to advance last season's starters during the off season. That's what "earlier reports" seem to be hinting at. Fitz is shaking the OL up with just weeks to go before opening day.

Listening to the BTN review of all the teams, it sounds like the days of having a starting five OL with a couple of backups in case of injury is a thing of the past. Depth and rotation. Fitz was talking about having 10 players in the rotation. When I looked at the roster there were only 12 OL in total. Next man up I guess.

Listening to the BTN review of all the teams, it sounds like the days of having a starting five OL with a couple of backups in case of injury is a thing of the past. Depth and rotation. Fitz was talking about having 10 players in the rotation. When I looked at the roster there were only 12 OL in total. Next man up I guess.

There are 17 OL on the current roster.

All this media talk before a down has been played makes me think of Granny Hawkins from Outlaw Josey Wales:

Granny Hawkins: Soldiers were here looking for you ’bout two hours ago.
They say you killed your own men. They say you’re a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They’re goin’ to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?
Josey Wales: What’s that?
Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk’s worth doodly-squat.

Fitz mentioned rotating 8 OL in his interview with BTN yesterday. And said we didn't have that luxury last year. I have no idea if rotating OL is good (we have depth) or bad (our starting 5 aren't very good and haven't improved much from last year).

Fitz mentioned rotating 8 OL in his interview with BTN yesterday. And said we didn't have that luxury last year. I have no idea if rotating OL is good (we have depth) or bad (our starting 5 aren't very good and haven't improved much from last year).
In reality, we probably won't know until we actually take the field. That doesn't stop the armchair coaches, though.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
In reality, we probably won't know until we actually take the field. That doesn't stop the armchair coaches, though.
I don't think there's any probably about it, we absolutely won't know anything for real until we take the field. We also won't know how much Clayton has improved until we take the field. For that matter, (news flash!) we won't know whether we win or lose the games until we take the field. But what is a message board for if not to speculate on the things that we are concerned about or optimistic about or happy or unhappy with...

No one is conclusively judging the OL in either direction, we are just guessing. Now that that's stated and out of the way, let's resume the wild message board speculation about the OL and any other topics as an outlet for our excitement / nervousness about the rapidly approaching season, cool?

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ESPN was talking about Sam Darnold and how he benefited from outstanding OL play. He was only sacked 1.9% of his passing plays-6-8 times in a year if 300-400 passes were thrown. CT went down 39 times

ESPN was talking about Sam Darnold and how he benefited from outstanding OL play. He was only sacked 1.9% of his passing plays-6-8 times in a year if 300-400 passes were thrown. CT went down 39 times

CT is one tough mutha...

No one is conclusively judging the OL in either direction, we are just guessing. Now that that's stated and out of the way, let's resume the wild message board speculation about the OL and any other topics as an outlet for our excitement / nervousness about the rapidly approaching season, cool?

You sure about that? We got people authoritatively stating that Fitz doesn't understand the mentality of the OL, coaching changes needed, etc., etc.

Normally I'm 100% with you, but I only made my comment because people seem to not be guessing but to "know" that our season won't be as good as we hope.

I don't think there's any probably about it, we absolutely won't know anything for real until we take the field. We also won't know how much Clayton has improved until we take the field. For that matter, (news flash!) we won't know whether we win or lose the games until we take the field. But what is a message board for if not to speculate on the things that we are concerned about or optimistic about or happy or unhappy with...

While the jury is still out, that does not mean it is not a concern that guys who watched practices having issues with the unit on the last day of their circuit. And it is not like the staff has not tried to address concerns.

Supposed the ole saying 'If you have 2 QBs, then you don't have one' could be transitioned to 'If you have 8 OL then you don't have 5?' Raise your hand if you would rather hear about 5 clear cut starters instead of an 8 man rotation on the OL.

The only question there will be about this year's OLine? IMHO, how many yards deep they will plow the opponents' DLine! 10? 20? 30? Need more? The other question: Will JJTBC gain 1500?, 1700? or 2000? yards as our all BIG/AA rb. That's what I'm wondering about and expecting this year. Go Cats!

Supposed the ole saying 'If you have 2 QBs, then you don't have one' could be transitioned to 'If you have 8 OL then you don't have 5?' Raise your hand if you would rather hear about 5 clear cut starters instead of an 8 man rotation on the OL.
An 8 man rotation that doesn't seem to have emerged just yet.

I think the truism, "It all starts in the trenches" is greatly underestimated. I'd be ok with an 8 man rotation that got going during spring ball. My disappointment is I had very high hopes for this season as recently as three weeks ago. Now I'm uncertain.

There's no guesswork about the OL being formally called out as a positional group by their teammates after the end of last year. No guesswork regarding how important reps and cohesion and God given physical tools are to the performance of any college OL. No guesswork regarding the musical chairs still being played.....or the inherent skepticism of giving a backup center critical reps at LOT......or the very reasonable OMG reaction to mention of a true freshman standing out among juniors and seniors who have been at this for a while . Then you consider the individual histories of the 17 OLM on the roster, and the history of the unit under Cush, and you think this is all anxiety driven conjecture? I don't think so. Ever the optimist, I am hoping for the best. Which realistically speaking would be an average BIG level OL performance this year.

I'm with Corbi on this one. We have plenty of valid, concrete reasons for concern.

GOUNUII

There's no guesswork about the OL being formally called out as a positional group by their teammates after the end of last year. No guesswork regarding how important reps and cohesion and God given physical tools are to the performance of any college OL. No guesswork regarding the musical chairs still being played.....or the inherent skepticism of giving a backup center critical reps at LOT......or the very reasonable OMG reaction to mention of a true freshman standing out among juniors and seniors who have been at this for a while . Then you consider the individual histories of the 17 OLM on the roster, and the history of the unit under Cush, and you think this is all anxiety driven conjecture? I don't think so. Ever the optimist, I am hoping for the best. Which realistically speaking would be an average BIG level OL performance this year.

I'm with Corbi on this one. We have plenty of valid, concrete reasons for concern.

GOUNUII
Amen. And I think I speak for many of those who are concerned in saying that we would be delightfully happy to be proven wrong.

GOUNUII

Concerned but hopeful nonetheless. Let's hope they figure out a way to be average or better.

Just about all of us are concerned, but it is now a tired narrative. In 9 days we'll have our first glimpse of where they are at. I expect them to keep improving during the season. The first few games there may be shuffling all over. Some guys play better with the lights on.

Either way, I am going to give it a rest until the first game. Then we will have something to talk about.

All I know is that our OL was not very good most of last year. I'd rather the coaches experiment than not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT