ADVERTISEMENT

So is Walker's decision

Are you unaware that Walker wants a career as an executive in the NFL? Playing is NOT his career objective.
If it is then having the Masters would help him more than the one year earlier playing. That was my point.

That's just silly. Of course he wants to be an NFL player. Otherwise he wouldn't have left school early. Do you really want me to believe that he left NU early because he wanted to start his NFL career early so the he could get into an NFL front office earlier?
"Early" is not 100% accurate in this case since he came to NU, got a degree in four years, and now is going out to get a job. This is how I did it. No one said I was leaving early.

He wants a career in the NFL. The primary entry level position is "player." Still sounds very normal and on time. By the rules, he could have delayed the start of his career by staying at NU another year for the sole purpose of playing football and working toward a masters degree which would probably be a two year program so he would not finish.

So, in terms of life, he is leaving on time. We football fans are wanting him to delay his career a year.

That's just silly. Of course he wants to be an NFL player. Otherwise he wouldn't have left school early. Do you really want me to believe that he left NU early because he wanted to start his NFL career early so the he could get into an NFL front office earlier?

Who says he doesn't want to be an NFL player? I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that his ultimate goal is to become an NFL executive, and playing in the league is a first step, not the ultimate football career goal. And Walker is NOT leaving school early. He'll graduate with a degree. Yes, he did leave NU so he can start his career in football as a player and later as an executive. The person I replied to seems to think his playing career will be his only involvement in the NFL and the only source of salary from the NFL.

He can get a masters anytime, including while he's playing.

Who says he doesn't want to be an NFL player? I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that his ultimate goal is to become an NFL executive, and playing in the league is a first step, not the ultimate football career goal. And Walker is NOT leaving school early. He'll graduate with a degree. Yes, he did leave NU so he can start his career in football as a player and later as an executive. The person I replied to seems to think his playing career will be his only involvement in the NFL and the only source of salary from the NFL.

He can get a masters anytime, including while he's playing.
I was assuming that he wanted something beyond just playing FB. And according to our Professor friend, the undergraduate degree is not to prepare someone for a job so that means a Masters is necessary. So wouldn't staying the final year and getting to that Masters take him further toward his ultimate goal than playing a year earlier? One thing to go earlier to get big paycheck guaranteed but he did not get such guarantees by going in the 5th round. Hopefully going early pays for him.

I was assuming that he wanted something beyond just playing FB. And according to our Professor friend, the undergraduate degree is not to prepare someone for a job so that means a Masters is necessary. So wouldn't staying the final year and getting to that Masters take him further toward his ultimate goal than playing a year earlier? One thing to go earlier to get big paycheck guaranteed but he did not get such guarantees by going in the 5th round. Hopefully going early pays for him.

Why hang around and risk injury (3 fellow LB's had to retire this year) when he could get a decent paycheck ($600K this year) and go to school part-time? He likely won't complete a meaningful MS degree by staying another year when he has to prepare for the combine, tryouts, pro days, mini-camps, etc.

We've already had someone stay for the 5th year and get injured, costing himself a substantial amount of cash.

Not sure how many caught it, but BTN just concluded their rebroadcast of Northwestern's Pinstripe Bowl game. It was nostalgic hearing Anthony Walker's name mentioned multiple times and getting to see his contributions to that win. Xavier Washington also made a key contribution that came with name recognition. Obviously we will miss not hearing those names called out as the season begins and in not getting to see both of them in Purple in the months ahead. Hopefully down the road other, and even greater, opportunities will present themselves that will be taken advantage of resulting in individual betterment regardless of present regrets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT