ADVERTISEMENT

So... the Big Ten is not good

BleedingPurple15

Oct 3, 2017
New York, NY
Northwestern loses to Duke. Purdue loses to Eastern Michigan. Nebraska loses to Colorado. Michigan State loses to Arizona State.

After all of the hype around the Big Ten heading into the season, I think the conference is proving itself overrated a bit.

Northwestern loses to Duke. Purdue loses to Eastern Michigan. Nebraska loses to Colorado. Michigan State loses to Arizona State.

After all of the hype around the Big Ten heading into the season, I think the conference is proving itself overrated a bit.
Agreed.

Hopefully that means we have a chance to compete during the rest of our conference games.

On the other hand, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Penn State won their OOC games fairly handily. As the cliche goes all NU can do is take care of its own business. By the way, some Rutgers fans are pencilling in the NU game as a win. Can’t let that happen.

Saw where the SEC leads all P5 conferences in playing FCS teams, 15!!! vs the B10 who I think had the fewest FCS opponents with 2 or 3.

Illinois barely won but that's not new.

On the other hand, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Penn State won their OOC games fairly handily. As the cliche goes all NU can do is take care of its own business. By the way, some Rutgers fans are pencilling in the NU game as a win. Can’t let that happen.
If reports from Champaign-Urbana are to be believed, the Fighting Lovies won fairly handily as well. There is even the suggestion that when their starting quarterback went out and the backup came in, the offensive line continued to block.

Michigan, Minnesota and Maryland also seem to have notched wins yesterday.

Yeah one noncon week tells a lot. Pro tip; check how many FCS teams the BIG plays this season. Then check out how many the other Power 5 conferences, particularly the SEC plays.

FAR tougher noncon matchups = greater potential for losses. The BIG will be just fine.

If reports from Champaign-Urbana are to be believed, the Fighting Lovies won fairly handily as well. There is even the suggestion that when their starting quarterback went out and the backup came in, the offensive line continued to block.

And they played Western, right?

Watching most of the other teams play I think Illinois is the only sure Victory we have remaining on the schedule and perhaps Akron which I haven't seen play. We could go 8 and 4 or 4 and 8.

Watching most of the other teams play I think Illinois is the only sure Victory we have remaining on the schedule and perhaps Akron which I haven't seen play. We could go 8 and 4 or 4 and 8.

In the words of GCG : No. But 5-6 wins is a distinct possibility. That screaming sound you hear is the fan base on the Fitz-a-coaster as we again come screaming down from a 10 win season careening toward a
5-6-7 win season.

We all know the story by now: this team peaks later in the season. I don't know why, but it is what it is. It's why I'm not freaked out over the Duke result. Only question is when they turn the corner.

MSU is very beatable. Can they fix their problems by then? If so, I can envision a nice three-game run of MSU, Nebraska and Rutgers headed into the make-or-break game against Wisconsin.

I do not think NU matches up well against Michigan and don't expect a win. But NU can drop that one and still easily contend for the West.

At the very least, I see 5 likely wins left to get to 6-6: Akron, Nebraska, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois.

Agree all of those are certainly winnable games but not a given. We will probably find a way to win a game we shouldn't and drop one of these. But of course that puts us right at 6 wins.

Yes. And the B1G was 2-1 vs. the ACC.

As thin as the lower tier teams in the Big Ten are at quarterback - every one of them is one injury away from disaster - making meaningful predictions this early in the season is impossible. MSU's loss was not completely surprising. They get over-hyped most years plus playing in the desert heat at 1 am in the morning on their body clock was particularly tough. Nebraska is rebuilding and Colorado is a tough out. Nebraska actually looked pretty good. Brohm was over-hyped and they are experiencing the loss of most of their defense. I think Duke and NU are pretty even talent wise and the difference was a QB on a bad wheel. Duke will be in trouble if Jone's injury turns out as bad as it looked.

Want to bet screennames that we finish better than 4-8?

Not so sure. In fact, I'm willing to bet at least half the teams lose every single week.
No way! If that were true half the fans would quit watching. The Networks will never let that happen.:rolleyes:

As thin as the lower tier teams in the Big Ten are at quarterback - every one of them is one injury away from disaster - making meaningful predictions this early in the season is impossible. MSU's loss was not completely surprising. They get over-hyped most years plus playing in the desert heat at 1 am in the morning on their body clock was particularly tough. Nebraska is rebuilding and Colorado is a tough out. Nebraska actually looked pretty good. Brohm was over-hyped and they are experiencing the loss of most of their defense. I think Duke and NU are pretty even talent wise and the difference was a QB on a bad wheel. Duke will be in trouble if Jone's injury turns out as bad as it looked.

Historically, Sun Devil stadium has been bad juju for our conference. I don't think a B1G team has ever won there vs. ASU.

We all know the story by now: this team peaks later in the season. I don't know why, but it is what it is. It's why I'm not freaked out over the Duke result. Only question is when they turn the corner.

MSU is very beatable. Can they fix their problems by then? If so, I can envision a nice three-game run of MSU, Nebraska and Rutgers headed into the make-or-break game against Wisconsin.

I do not think NU matches up well against Michigan and don't expect a win. But NU can drop that one and still easily contend for the West.

At the very least, I see 5 likely wins left to get to 6-6: Akron, Nebraska, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois.
They have not started classes yet. They are waiting for that to get into the actual learning mode

I vote we petition the NCAA to just assign us these five wins, take the other 5 games as losses, and rest up for the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl. I believe this is the solution we need to the concussion issues plaguing football. Let the committee decide, no need to play or anything.

They have not started classes yet. They are waiting for that to get into the actual learning mode
Seriously though, is this a reason for poor early performance? We should technically have an early edge because the guys don’t have to worry about school starting until late September. Is it harder for them to focus on game prep outside the structure of the normal school year? It’s likely unrelated but it does seem to magnify the problem of early unpreparedness since we do have the advantage of not having class.

Tough week for these 3 teams... mid - to - lower tier teams in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT