ADVERTISEMENT

So who will win the Holiday Bowl? Coach Chappy makes his pick

Now I don’t need to read it.

Chappy may be right but his reasoning is uncharacteristically weak. Very weak. Advantage Utah because they played Washington ... not OSU ... for a conference championship? Please. They managed all of 3 points against the Huskies. Advantage Utah because of its coach's history in bowl games? OK ... maybe a slight edge, maybe not. Every team and every season is different.

This game will come down to who gets the better QB play. I'm banking on CT to go out with a bang.

GOUNUII

Chappy may be right but his reasoning is uncharacteristically weak. Very weak. Advantage Utah because they played Washington ... not OSU ... for a conference championship? Please. They managed all of 3 points against the Huskies. Advantage Utah because of its coach's history in bowl games? OK ... maybe a slight edge, maybe not. Every team and every season is different.

This game will come down to who gets the better QB play. I'm banking on CT to go out with a bang.

GOUNUII
With all due respect my friend, those were not the telling advantages that I based my pick upon.

I referenced Utah’s defense being better overall, and I think their offense has a slight advantage over Northwestern‘s Offense too.

I was simply saying that because Utah lost also in the championship game and buy a very slim margin, sometimes it gives a team a psychological advantage.

And my point about Whittingham and his history and bowls is merely that he has shown that he has gotten his teams- regardless of where they were at during the season- ready for the bowl game. That DOES matter. I know a Fitz has won three in a row, but something HAD to be pointed out about Whittingham’s mark.

But again, I want to underscore all of this with the fact that I HOPE I am wrong and I hope that the Wildcats win the day! I sincerely appreciate your eyeballs and your brain and commentary though, as it keeps me sharp and gives us something to talk about, which is why we are all here anyway :) Happy new year!

GOUNUII
With all due respect my friend, those were not the telling advantages that I based my pick upon.

I referenced Utah’s defense being better overall, and I think their offense has a slight advantage over Northwestern‘s Offense too.

I was simply saying that because Utah lost also in the championship game and buy a very slim margin, sometimes it gives a team a psychological advantage.

And my point about Whittingham and his history and bowls is merely that he has shown that he has gotten his teams- regardless of where they were at during the season- ready for the bowl game. That DOES matter. I know a Fitz has won three in a row, but something HAD to be pointed out about Whittingham’s mark.

But again, I want to underscore all of this with the fact that I HOPE I am wrong and I hope that the Wildcats win the day! I sincerely appreciate your eyeballs and your brain and commentary though, as it keeps me sharp and gives us something to talk about, which is why we are all here anyway :) Happy new year!

For the record, Fitz has won three of four and his last two in a row.

While my heart is with the Cats, my brain agrees with Chappy. I think a lot of folks here underestimate the Utah defense. Their tackles are big and plug the middle well while their ends are quick and likely to be in the Cats backfield all game. I hope I am wrong.

IMHO, Chappy, the victor in the Holiday Bowl will be the team...

1. That wins the turn-over battle (no great revelation here because it has undeniable history behind the stat)

2. Whose D will control the ground game of opponent's O (I think this will be THE BIGGEST game decider. The 'Cat defensive front 7 will take the Shyne off of the Ute rushing attack brass.)

3. Whose OL will keep their QB upright and not injured (I'm bummed that JT is out, but A. Miller will rise to the challenge & be the key contributor who impacts blocking while the Utes key on neutralizing the Wizard of Gaz & S. Miller. In addition, I think 'Cat OL Blake Hance has GOT to keep his head screwed on tight against Ute DE B. Anae. This is the Purple LOT's ticket game to prove that he can be competitive in the next level level.)

4. (Last but certainly not least) Whose QB who complete his scans of the opponent's secondary, find the open receiver then deliver the bean on target & in stride - on a consistent basis. (C. Thorson, like Hance, this is your ticket game to prove you've got the goods to compete in the next level.

This game will be one of the most evenly matched grapples of the entire 2018/2019 collegiate bowl season.

I predict a single digit "W" by... The 'Cats!!!

IMHO, Chappy, the victor in the Holiday Bowl will be the team...

1. That wins the turn-over battle (no great revelation here because it has undeniable history behind the stat)

2. Whose D will control the ground game of opponent's O (I think this will be THE BIGGEST game decider. The 'Cat defensive front 7 will take the Shyne off of the Ute rushing attack brass.)

3. Whose OL will keep their QB upright and not injured (I'm bummed that JT is out, but A. Miller will rise to the challenge & be the key contributor who impacts blocking while the Utes key on neutralizing the Wizard of Gaz & S. Miller. In addition, I think 'Cat OL Blake Hance has GOT to keep his head screwed on tight against Ute DE B. Anae. This is the Purple LOT's ticket game to prove that he can be competitive in the next level level.)

4. (Last but certainly not least) Whose QB who complete his scans of the opponent's secondary, find the open receiver then deliver the bean on target & in stride - on a consistent basis. (C. Thorson, like Hance, this is your ticket game to prove you've got the goods to compete in the next level.

This game will be one of the most evenly matched grapples of the entire 2018/2019 collegiate bowl season.

I predict a single digit "W" by... The 'Cats!!!

Waterboy, I agree Hance’s performance will be critical. I would expect to see more of Moten, as I think the little extra speed he has over Bowser will be needed as the middle will be very tough going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT