ADVERTISEMENT

Softball and Baseball

Baseball swept today: but really should not have happened; errors turned one game today from a win to a loss. Softball: keeps on trucking todsy: sweeping Purdue with a 6-3 win to remain undefeated in BIG play at 15-0. Schedule does them no favors with a quick turnaround doubleheader vs. Illinois on Tuesday.
But with the sweep, they only have two games left while MINN still has 5. Win one and BIG Champs, right?.

Cats have 6 B1G games left: 3 @MSU and 3 @Minny. The Minny series will determine the regular season champ in all likelihood.
On the BIG show, I thought they listed remaining games and only two were listed. We have 17 in while MN has 14 in. How is it you can have 3 games against one team and none against another? Seems like strange schedule. No games against some teams, One game against some teams, 2 against some and 3 against others, all home or away.

Last edited:
On the BIG show, I thought they listed remaining games and only two were listed. We have 17 in while MN has 14 in. How is it you can have 3 games against one team and none against another? Seems like strange schedule. No games against some teams, One game against some teams, 2 against some and 3 against others, all home or away.

With the time it took you to post your argument, you could've looked it up on either nusports or bigten.org. Come on, man!

Fitzphile is correct, there are 6 more games -- 3 @ MSU, and 3 @ Minn.

https://bigten.org/confstandings.aspx/2018-19/soft?path=softball

With the time it took you to post your argument, you could've looked it up on either nusports or bigten.org. Come on, man!

Fitzphile is correct, there are 6 more games -- 3 @ MSU, and 3 @ Minn.

https://bigten.org/confstandings.aspx/2018-19/soft?path=softball
I was just saying where I saw the listing. I was not arguing that I was right. And the way it was listed, all teams in the mix would have ended up with 19 games so I did not see a need to look it up at the time. I did look it up after Fitzphil's comment and saw the 3 game sets with both MSU and MN. That said, still hard to understand how they play no games against some teams, one against some, two against others and 3 against a number of teams. Wacky schedule compared with other sports. BB for example would play one or two games against every team. FB zero or one. But Softball??? 3 games against some teams and none against others?

FYI - the Indiana game was not a conference game. We happened to play them in the Hoosier Classic.

All conference match-ups are three game series with the one two game exception. Why each team has a two game series is beyond me - probably because it is midweek and three games would require two days away from school; two games can be played in a single day away. Why they don’t play everybody is probably because of limited number of weekends and travel. With three game series you get three games and one trip.

B10 is secondary. Winning out might get them a top 8 seed in tourney and thus get to host a super regional.

Now 20-0 in the conference ! Huge series next week in Minny.

Yeah, it must be like a dream for them now; they've never been close to a 20-0 start in their entire BIG history. I think we do finally lose to Minny next weekend, as it is out toughest BIG series of the year and it is on the road. We would still win the Minny tiebreaker if we win 2 against them, but would be interesting to see what the Michigan tiebreaker is if that happens (Michigan is likely to win their last 4, though they needed a walkoff to beat Penn State on Friday night). Of course, if we somehow managed to sweep again, that would be make a storybook season even more special! And that is not impossible given that Danielle has to pitch only one game this weekend due to MSU being so terrible. And, of course, we are a dead solid lock for the NCAAs at this point, which is nice...

Softball ... wow. What a fantastic job of recruiting the last couple of years. Top pitchers are FR and SO. Many top players in their first or second years as well. Williams has given up a (relatively) high number of HRs, without seeing much action, I'm wondering if those are on changeups that are maybe up in the zone a bit. But to have a freshman who is 26-3 on the hill ... wow, and it's not like the losses are to slouches either. Also amazing the top 3 teams in the conference are 58-2 at this point in conference play. How does Michigan get off not playing NU OR Minnesota? Finishing at Minnesota will be one heck of a tournament test for our Cats.

Baseball ...... ugh, just not enough depth. Swept by Michigan is no surprise. But losing 2 of 3 to Sparty is a bad, bad series loss. I think Coach Allen is fantastic, but I think it's just a really uphill climb.

Yeah, it must be like a dream for them now; they've never been close to a 20-0 start in their entire BIG history. I think we do finally lose to Minny next weekend, as it is out toughest BIG series of the year and it is on the road. We would still win the Minny tiebreaker if we win 2 against them, but would be interesting to see what the Michigan tiebreaker is if that happens (Michigan is likely to win their last 4, though they needed a walkoff to beat Penn State on Friday night). Of course, if we somehow managed to sweep again, that would be make a storybook season even more special! And that is not impossible given that Danielle has to pitch only one game this weekend due to MSU being so terrible. And, of course, we are a dead solid lock for the NCAAs at this point, which is nice...

Wouldn't need a tiebreaker over Minnesota if we won 2 of 3 .... we'd give them 2 more losses. If we lose 2 of 3 to Minny, we'd lose the tiebreaker though .... Michigan, that's a great question since we didn't play.

We were a lock for the NCAA's weeks ago -- the question is can we get a regional in Evanston - that would be great for the local community!

Wouldn't need a tiebreaker over Minnesota if we won 2 of 3 .... we'd give them 2 more losses. If we lose 2 of 3 to Minny, we'd lose the tiebreaker though .... Michigan, that's a great question since we didn't play.

We were a lock for the NCAA's weeks ago -- the question is can we get a regional in Evanston - that would be great for the local community!

May I suggest just sweeping Minny to remove any doubt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT